North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

I think USL's plan is to have the teams making less money turn into USL 3. That way they aren't going into the black on operating costs. 

21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Can't we just do pro/rel in USL? It's big enough.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think USL's plan is to have the teams making less money turn into USL 3. That way they aren't going into the black on operating costs. 

Not that it was ever officially stated but I always thought that the idea was for the MLS reserve teams to become a 3rd division.

25 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Can't we just do pro/rel in USL? It's big enough.

Allow me to play Devil's advocate for a second:

If there is no way to get promoted to division 1, is there really any point of doing it? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 minute ago, mr.negative15 said:

Not that it was ever officially stated but I always thought that the idea was for the MLS reserve teams to become a 3rd division.

Allow me to play Devil's advocate for a second:

If there is no way to get promoted to division 1, is there really any point of doing it? 

I would go back to costs. They've been buying up names so they may be looking at some type of "promotion/relegation" within USL. But since they've pretty much accepted being Division II to MLS's Division I, they may open themsleves up for criticism by NASL if they go that route. NASL would almost certainly say that it supports their claims of collusion bu MLS and USSF. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I would go back to costs. They've been buying up names so they may be looking at some type of "promotion/relegation" within USL. But since they've pretty much accepted being Division II to MLS's Division I, they may open themsleves up for criticism by NASL if they go that route. NASL would almost certainly say that it supports their claims of collusion bu MLS and USSF. 

I mean, at the end of the day, that's always the case. Good point.

I actually don't feel strongly about it either way just thought I'd throw that out there. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

19 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Only in the minds of fans.  The USL has never said that, and it wouldn't make any sense. MLS clubs want their developing players to work against the best possible competition.  Keeping them all in the third division kind of kills the entire point. 

I understand that some fans don't like the optics of their team playing against Timbers 2.  But they don't seem to have a similar problem with their club playing the Bethlehem Steel, which means their objection is superficial, and really just something they have to get beyond.

Then there's the subset of NASL fans who complain that no serious footballing nation would let reserve sides play in its second division, perhaps forgetting that Spain does just that.

I just meant that I thought that was what was coming but I do agree with you @Gothamite. It doesn't make sense. If you want to develop those players, they should be playing against the best possible competition. 

Not too be a jerk, but those NASL fans probably only think that because they want to see their league get the D2 status and they believe that if USL doesn't have it then it's theirs for the taking. I believe that opinion is less about where reserve teams should play and more about their league not being D2. 

NASL's biggest problem is themselves. They say single entity ownership makes MLS franchise owners noncompetitive, but then they can't seem to bring in teams that are able to stay on the field beyond two to three years. They tried to get FIFA to let them and MLS share D1 status and that failed. They tried to schmooze USSF into accepting them as the Division 2 league with USL below them and that failed. They've been given numerous opportunities to meet the most basic requirements from the USSF and haven't done it yet.  The only reason the 2017 season occurred is because someone came in to save the NY Cosmos for the third or fourth time in that team's history, not even counting the original NASL team's issues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Not all of the news emanating from the USL and its member franchises is positive. On Wednesday afternoon, Rochester Rhinos co-owners David and Wendy Dworkin held a press conference to announce that they need to raise $1.3 million by November 30th - next Thursday - in order to keep the team afloat for the 2018 season.

The Dworkins say that they are hoping to raise $600,000 of that total through the sale of executive suites and season tickets. To do so, they would need at least 2,500 new season ticket holders to commit by the November 30th deadline. They are also attempting to secure a jersey sponsorship at a price point of $160,000.

While achieving either of those goals in the next six days might prove daunting, the Dworkins have also requested $540,000 in Monroe County Hotel Room Occupancy Tax revenues. The tax in question generated $8.1 million in 2017. Monroe County officials allocated a portion of said funds to the county-owned Frontier Field, home of the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings. Additionally, the City of Rochester elected to apportion money to both Blue Cross Arena and the Joseph A. Floreano Rochester Riverside Convention Center out of the $1.7 million in funding that the county had directed to the municipality.

However, a Monroe County spokesperson issued a statement which indicated that since Capelli Sports Stadium - the city-owned home of the Rhinos - is not the property of the county, the county "is not prepared to divert taxpayer dollars to the Rhinos that would otherwise be invested in regional tourism assets, including local arts, museums, and parks."

So, it would appear that unless the Dworkins can convince City of Rochester officials to commit to allocating a portion of the municipality's share of the county hotel room tax to the Rhinos, the soccer franchise's days are numbered.

Not a great week for Rochester sports fans, as news also broke that the Rochester Rattlers of Major League Lacrosse - who had also called Capelli Sports Stadium home - have relocated to Frisco, Texas. The rebranded Dallas Rattlers will play their home games at the Ford Center at the Star.      

Is there any USL money that could support Rochester? Or USSF? Seems like a bad look for one of USL's more stories franchises to just disappear.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Not all of the news emanating from the USL and its member franchises is positive. On Wednesday afternoon, Rochester Rhinos co-owners David and Wendy Dworkin held a press conference to announce that they need to raise $1.3 million by November 30th - next Thursday - in order to keep the team afloat for the 2018 season.

The Dworkins say that they are hoping to raise $600,000 of that total through the sale of executive suites and season tickets. To do so, they would need at least 2,500 new season ticket holders to commit by the November 30th deadline. They are also attempting to secure a jersey sponsorship at a price point of $160,000.

While achieving either of those goals in the next six days might prove daunting, the Dworkins have also requested $540,000 in Monroe County Hotel Room Occupancy Tax revenues. The tax in question generated $8.1 million in 2017. Monroe County officials allocated a portion of said funds to the county-owned Frontier Field, home of the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings. Additionally, the City of Rochester elected to apportion money to both Blue Cross Arena and the Joseph A. Floreano Rochester Riverside Convention Center out of the $1.7 million in funding that the county had directed to the municipality.

However, a Monroe County spokesperson issued a statement which indicated that since Capelli Sports Stadium - the city-owned home of the Rhinos - is not the property of the county, the county "is not prepared to divert taxpayer dollars to the Rhinos that would otherwise be invested in regional tourism assets, including local arts, museums, and parks."

So, it would appear that unless the Dworkins can convince City of Rochester officials to commit to allocating a portion of the municipality's share of the county hotel room tax to the Rhinos, the soccer franchise's days are numbered.

A plea during the holiday season is a real sign of either serious desperation (with a lack of business sense) or grifters trying to lessen their loss.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Is there any USL money that could support Rochester? Or USSF? Seems like a bad look for one of USL's more stories franchises to just disappear.

You want to start that slippery slope?

USSF is letting the NWSL franchise in KC do what it will do naturally yet they cover some salaries this have a deeper interest.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:04 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Not a great week for Rochester sports fans, as news also broke that the Rochester Rattlers of Major League Lacrosse - who had also called Capelli Sports Stadium home - have relocated to Frisco, Texas. The rebranded Dallas Rattlers will play their home games at the Ford Center at the Star.      

At least they were smart enough to move indoors, but Dallas?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Dreams are nice.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-lincoln-yards-soccer-stadium-ryan-ori-20171121-story.html

A new professional soccer team plans to begin playing on Chicago’s North Side within three years, at one of the sites proposed for Amazon’s second headquarters.

Developer Sterling Bay has bought a United Soccer League expansion team to play in its planned sports and entertainment stadium along the Chicago River, with the goal of beginning play in the 2020 season, Sterling Bay Managing Principal Andy Gloor said.

Sterling Bay and other investors will own and operate the USL team, Gloor said.

Specific details of the Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed stadium are still being fine-tuned, but the venue is expected to have a retractable roof and about 20,000 seats. Gloor said. A retractable roof will allow the stadium to be used for events year-round, potentially including international soccer matches, college football and basketball games, concerts and other events, Gloor said.

Whatevs. 

Seattle walloped Houston tonight, setting a clear path to MLS Cup for the second year in a row. I'm really hoping for a rematch. 

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Dreams are nice.

It’s more than just that - if Chicago is not chosen for the amazon HQ, the developer is still going ahead with the site, the stadium, and the team.  

What this means is that Peter Wilt’s planned NASL Chicago club is finally dead.  We’ve long suspected that it was, but this settles it. 

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s more than just that - if Chicago is not chosen for the amazon HQ, the developer is still going ahead with the site, the stadium, and the team.  

What this means is that Peter Wilt’s planned NASL Chicago club is finally dead.  We’ve long suspected that it was, but this settles it. 

That is a tremendous location for a stadium. Walkable from CTA and Metra, near the expressway. It would immediately be second to Sox Park for accessibility if they have any kind of tolerable parking situation, and vastly superior to the spot than the Fire are stuck in.

Very conflicted that as MLS is doing everything it can to move the Crew while taking a very public dump on the city, the FC Cincinnati to MLS train seems to be moving forward with great momentum. I love both cities, I think an MLS rivalry would be stellar and would really help the Crew, but Garber's behavior through this process has been super sketchy and the league's tactics have been dirty. If I'm any one of the owners currently bidding for expansion, I'm withdrawing my money right now, buying an existing team and moving them to a city of my choosing since that sort of circumvention of the expansion racket seems allowable, if not openly encouraged by Garber, which makes no gd sense.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

I read in passing that Caleb Porter left the Timbers, just two years after a title and following a pretty successful season. That's weird.

22 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I read in passing that Caleb Porter left the Timbers, just two years after a title and following a pretty successful season. That's weird.

I've read a couple rumors that's he's heading to Cincinnati. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Archived