Unknown Wisconsin Badger Logo

Rocky4228

Yes, it is.  It dates from at least as far back as the late 1980s/early 1990s.  I remember seeing it at the Bookstore in 1993.  Was told by a clerk that it was intended to replace Bucky, but never took off.  They used it as an alternate for a while (primarily if not exclusively on merchandise), then it was quietly phased out. 

I think this would have looked amazing on a football helmet; it seems perfect for that shape. So much better than the Motion-sickness W.  I even prefer it to the modern Bucky. 

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen this before.  I've always been hoping at some point we might see some version of Bucky on an alternate helmet.  Problem is Alvarez and Chryst are both hard core old school when it comes to uniforms.

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not quite old school enough. 

Yeah, maybe "traditionalist" is a slightly better term; i.e., the tradition of not having 1000 uniforms.  I  really don't want to see Bucky on the helmet.  (But I am sure I've posted a bunch how awful I think mascots are on hemets; even Sparky).

Regarding this logo, I've definitely seen it, though I don't recall where.  I'd have guess it was a little-used alternate athletic department mark from the mid-1990s or something.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, it is.  It dates from at least as far back as the late 1980s/early 1990s.  I remember seeing it at the Bookstore in 1993.  Was told by a clerk that it was intended to replace Bucky, but never took off.  They used it as an alternate for a while (primarily if not exclusively on merchandise), then it was quietly phased out. 

I think this would have looked amazing on a football helmet; it seems perfect for that shape. So much better than the Motion-sickness W.  I even prefer it to the modern Bucky. 

Wow...I can't fathom "strutting" Bucky would ever have gone away, even had that taken off.  

I would not have enjoyed this on a helmet.  Then again, I love the motion W.  And even if I did not, I'd prefer just to go back to the pre-Alvarez W on the helmet.

Like a poster above, as soon as I read this bold statement, I thought of the failed "tiger-hawk update" at Iowa.  I was actually a grad student at Iowa when that was happening.  The reception to that change was not warm.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Yeah, maybe "traditionalist" is a slightly better term; i.e., the tradition of not having 1000 uniforms.  I  really don't want to see Bucky on the helmet.  (But I am sure I've posted a bunch how awful I think mascots are on hemets; even Sparky).

From what I've heard, one of the first things Chryst did after being hired was to scrap the red helmets.  I certainly didn't see those as being over the top in any way and it gave a nice alternate look a couple of times per season.  I'm pretty sure red pants aren't in the rotation anymore either.

8 hours ago, Yac12 said:

That reminds me of the 90s Iowa Tigerhawk that they tried to adopt, but wasn't well liked by the fans.

I still see random crap for sale online and in stores featuring that logo, I guess it is still an official logo but I don't know who the hell is buying that stuff.

I remember having a hat with that logo back around 93-94 or so. 

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Looks like a wolverine.

Smaller...but just as ornery, they say.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There was another one, a paw mark that had four scratches trailing up from the claws. 

I thought I was imagining that one...can't for the life of me remember where I'd seen it though.  Maybe one of Zephyr's caps.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

9 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

I thought I was imagining that one...can't for the life of me remember where I'd seen it though.  Maybe one of Zephyr's caps.

Bingo.  I have one. 

Also, I accidentally made the original post in my long lost account.  Meant to use this one.

Untitled.png

SportsSig-1.jpg

14 hours ago, Scoo8b said:

I still see random crap for sale online and in stores featuring that logo, I guess it is still an official logo but I don't know who the hell is buying that stuff.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the story I heard is that Steve Alford made the push to modernize the Tigerhawk.  I don't think it's still official.  I haven't seen it on campus for years.

12 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Smaller...but just as ornery, they say.

That's a good analogy for the Beercheesers and Meatchicken.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 12/12/2016 at 9:25 PM, ReRocky4228 said:

Bingo.  I have one. 

Also, I accidentally made the original post in my long lost account.  Meant to use this one.

Untitled.png

That's close, but it's not the one I was thinking of.   Pretty sure that was one created by Zephyr just for use on their caps.  They did those for every one of their schools.

This is the paw logo that the University was using on its merchandise in the late 80s/early 90s:

s-l1600.jpg

I mis-remembered it a bit - I was thinking they were scratches but they were actually long claws.  

I seem to recall that this logo was being used at around the same time as the one on your ornament, but I have no idea if they were created at the same time or were intended to be part of the same set.

I went to UW from 1993-1997 and don't specifically remember seeing that.  I do recall (at least I think I do) the ornament logo.  That does not mean you are wrong about the timelines...neither were exactly as ever-present as the Motion W.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The end of my time overlapped yours just a bit.  Cool.

I could well be wrong.  Or the Bookstore could have had old stuff in stock.  To be honest, the only place I ever remember seeing either was in the Bookstore.  I don't think they were ever widely pushed, much less got much traction.

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The end of my time overlapped yours just a bit.  Cool.

I could well be wrong.  Or the Bookstore could have had old stuff in stock.  To be honest, the only place I ever remember seeing either was in the Bookstore.  I don't think they were ever widely pushed, much less got much traction.

1983-87 here.

There was a bookstore? :-)

It's where I sit.

Archived