Big Ten Alternate Helmet Concepts

Briton93

1 hour ago, Briton93 said:

These next two helmets are Fauxback themed. 

Indiana last won the Big Ten in 1967, so for their design I went back to their crimson color base and changed their decals from white to chrome silver.

There are a few helmets which reflect in some capacity for this project, so I try to be authentic with what is reflected. In this case, "The Rock".

bJ6eWlH.png

That I on the helmet is either illinois' or is very similar. The block I Indiana used in 1967 is different. It's thinner and the serifs aren't as wide.

IMG_0604.JPG

1 minute ago, 8BW14 said:

That I on the helmet is either illinois' or is very similar. The block I Indiana used in 1967 is different. It's thinner and the serifs aren't as wide.

IMG_0604.JPG

Wow, great call. I mocked it up from my memories of the Mallory/Dunbar era. You're right: it was narrower. 

1 hour ago, cjm3114jr said:

Cool thread! For the Huskers, I would change the N and numbers to red chrome with possibly a silver outline. They get lost with so much black.

Thanks!  They actually used that helmet before. I wanted to try something along the lines of black-on-black, as if to suggest black shirts are assumed to be omnipresent. 

Dear traditionalists: I built this as a concept for a Spring Game. Nothing for the fall. ?

Blue matte shell, chrome decals, two-tone face mask.  The numbering would be unique for each player, but for the design I chose to honor Heisman-winner John Cappelletti. 

Jm8aXeu.png

Illinois has worn gray uniforms the past three homecomings in honor of "The Galloping Ghost" Red Grange. I wanted to create a helmet which better fit the uniform, so I went with a gray shell, gray tonal chrome numbers (Grange wore #77). For the stripe, I incorporated the chevron logo, so that when opponents lined up, there was no question who they were facing.

HYLLspK.png

Iowa has both worn several variations and had several concepts done. To be unique, I went for a gold chrome helmet with black decals. 

To tip tip the hat to the Hayden Frye era, I wanted to work in the "America Needs Farmers" design into the concept. It's an end-around, but I used a reflection of Kinnick Stadium holding a collective sign which reads, "America Needs Farmers".

9nJ5jVq.png

Now we get into the really fun, out there concepts ...

Rutgers announced this past season they wanted uniforms which would be easily distinguished as Rutgers uniforms. I disagree with the notion of scaling back as the onlya means to do this.

The Scarlet Knights concept marries the Rutgers alternate logo with a hydroskin featuring chainmaile and a variation of the battle scuffs they used in prior seasons.

2Sa3KAB.png

I've liked what State has done with their alternate helmets the past few years, and wanted to stay within the realm for consistency.  To do so, I went with a hydroskin using the same Greek pattern which is featured on their jerseys and pants, then capped it off with a light bronze for the decals and facemask.

znBZV4y.png

5 hours ago, Briton93 said:

Illinois has worn gray uniforms the past three homecomings in honor of "The Galloping Ghost" Red Grange. I wanted to create a helmet which better fit the uniform, so I went with a gray shell, gray tonal chrome numbers (Grange wore #77). For the stripe, I incorporated the chevron logo, so that when opponents lined up, there was no question who they were facing.

HYLLspK.png

I would never ever want to see Illinois wear a grey helmet but conceptually this is really cool, as are most of your concept helmets in this thread. Keep em comin

Second-to-last helmet revealed is Michigan's. This was the most polarizing reaction I got on Twitter. A Detroit journalist and Talk Radio host both retweeted and it was a house divided. At one point, a designed attempted to openly chastise me for the collective sins made by concept artists on IG. It was fun when he asked me, "What is a 'Design Partner of Nationally Ranked Contenders,' as you list in your Twitter bio?" And I explained that I'be done work for two HS national champions.  ?☕️

ANYWAY, I kept the shell a matte blue paint job, but with maize chrome wings. Big House in the reflection.

R20pGbX.png

Wrapping the Big Ten concepts up with OSU, who has had a number of alternate helmets. I wanted to kept it close to the silver shell, but for something different I went with a halftone hydroskin which displays their classic block o and buckeye leaf logo. Eight buckeye leaves for the eight national championships.

To compliment the neckline on the jersey, which has eight buckeye leaves, I added "TBDTITL", which is a play off of the nickname for the marching band (TBDBITL, or The Best Damn Band In The Land).  I don't see the program actually putting that on a helmet for a game, but that extra feature would make a lot of 17-year old recruits pumped at their visit. 

Thanks to everyone for their compliments and feedback. I'll be back with the PAC-12. 

Vy6LrJ2.png

• 6 months later...
  • Atomic locked this topic

Archived