Uniform Oddities

clonewars2008

So was reading the Uniwatch's article on the history of the CFL's east division's helmets and came across this: 

From a 1982 pre season game, Ottawa Rough Riders vs Montreal Concords. 
15107296_957534714353192_297013499851055

Now the complete black helmet is not unusual for Ottawa to do in the pre season but it's the red jersey the Rough Riders are wearing. It's an oddity cause it's not at all documented save for this photo. This is all I managed to find in regards to this uniform. It's neat but any other one shot wonders in the sports world that are complete unknowns?

Edit: Found another photo but it's black and white, Looks like it's from a different year.

pixel.gifKevin-Starkey-Ottawa-Rough-Riders-1982.j

I cant recall but I think could've happen they did not stick the lines on helmets before the season began, say they changed helmets for the whole team.

I do recall a red jersey for the Riders but man, its a long way back, and I was, maybe 12 years old.

The Montreal CFL team was renamed Concordes as a sort of attempt to attract attention and fans as attendance was down in the early 80's some.

You can see on the second pic, the Alouettes helmets without the logo. I'd say the second was shot before the first pic because the Als sport the 70's jersey.

The rebirth Alouettes (yes they changed again from Concordes to Alouettes) kept the previous Concorde looks just swapping helmets logos

Nice pics thanks

I don't have any one-shot unis on my mind, I simply thought that it's odd...in baseball, the piping style (or lack thereof) a team uses on its home whites will usually also be present on the traveling grays.  Things like the Red Sox having placket piping on their whites, yet no piping on their grays is the exception rather than the rule.  In the majors, at least, not so for pinstriped teams.  On the road, the Cubs wear solid grays; the Yankees, Phillies and White Sox all wear cuffs; and lastly, the Rockies and Mets each use piping.

Another unusual thing: teams who use a left chest logo on their homes rarely, if ever, do so on the road, at least nowadays.

8 hours ago, bleuet said:

I cant recall but I think could've happen they did not stick the lines on helmets before the season began, say they changed helmets for the whole team.

I do recall a red jersey for the Riders but man, its a long way back, and I was, maybe 12 years old.

The Montreal CFL team was renamed Concordes as a sort of attempt to attract attention and fans as attendance was down in the early 80's some.

You can see on the second pic, the Alouettes helmets without the logo. I'd say the second was shot before the first pic because the Als sport the 70's jersey.

The rebirth Alouettes (yes they changed again from Concordes to Alouettes) kept the previous Concorde looks just swapping helmets logos

Nice pics thanks

I know of the blurry history of the 80's in Montreal football and in the 90's they had a primary red uniform like such:
Marquel-Fleetwoord-Ottawa-Rough-Riders-1

But I'm talking during the classic uniform era:

CFL_OTT_Jersey_1980.png

Someone more versed in Saints uniform history could verify much better than I can, but to my knowledge, the helmet featured in the '67 Sports Illustrated shots for the expansion Saints either never saw the field or were worn only in the preseason:

IMG_5477.JPG

Notice a singular white stripe rather than black-white-black. I'm aware of them in the preseason having worn white-black-white stripes as well as a black helmet, but I haven't come across any in-game photos of the single white stripe.

There's also this that I found interesting - an illustration from the same time period that features a singular black stripe on the helmet. Likely just limited to the illustration alone, but I wonder if it was based on any possible prototypes:

IMG_5478.JPG

I honestly really love the look of the single black stripe. It would've looked great had they ever ran with it (and hopefully the pants stripe would've matched too if they did).

Not sure how on-topic this is, but as far as unusual uniform elements go, anybody else remember how the Broncos' 1980s-1996 helmet could look several different colors depending on the lighting, from sky blue to dark royal? I always loved those helmets for that reason (well, that and the horse jumping through the letter D).

10 hours ago, bleuet said:

I know I know

I was making reference to the original unis, with black helmets.

Ya I know they changed for the red and gold helmets later.

And how many remembers this one? 

$_35.JPG

I have a jacket with that logo, the Glieberman era... 

Archived