Htown1141

Redesign of Strake Jesuit College Preparatory (+Football uni)

Recommended Posts

A few years back, in fact I think maybe even last year, I redesigned my middle school's logo. Since then, I've improved a lot in my design, and as such, I feel that skill should be used in doing more than *conceptual, and somewhat crude* political logos. Before I try to push action forward for our school to change its logo, shown --> HERE <--, I wanted to run it by the most trusted source for critique of conceptual sports logos on the internet! Please let me know what you think and further edits and fixes are on the way.

(deleted image)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that is an astronomical upgrade. It looks very clean, and very modern. The word mark is very sharp and crisp. Looks great! My one thing that you might try to change is the eye. To me it looks kind of random, but I think it still works. Maybe just try to clean it up a little bit, but it's not a huge issue. The logo still looks fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent upgrade. Although I agree that the eye looks off. Maybe moving it up a bit to give the white some room to breathe would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 1:55 PM, bucknut42 said:

Wow that is an astronomical upgrade. It looks very clean, and very modern. The word mark is very sharp and crisp. Looks great! My one thing that you might try to change is the eye. To me it looks kind of random, but I think it still works. Maybe just try to clean it up a little bit, but it's not a huge issue. The logo still looks fantastic.

 

On 12/14/2016 at 2:00 PM, ZionEagle said:

Excellent upgrade. Although I agree that the eye looks off. Maybe moving it up a bit to give the white some room to breathe would help.

Thanks for letting me know! I'm not quite sure what you mean giving the white room to breathe.though, so I went ahead and tweaked some stuff and moved the eye slate completely on top of the cross.

(deleted image)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES. That is a perfect update. While I can't speak for Zion, that is what I would have done if I had been told to let it breathe more. That's a small tweak that has a huge positive effect on the overall appearance of the logo. It is now flawless. Amazing work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bucknut42 said:

YES. That is a perfect update. While I can't speak for Zion, that is what I would have done if I had been told to let it breathe more. That's a small tweak that has a huge positive effect on the overall appearance of the logo. It is now flawless. Amazing work.

First time I've ever seen flawless to describe my work. Thank you!

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing on the front if the helmet. Is the white cross the opening in the front for vision and making it easier to breathe, or is it just a ornamental detail with eye slit openings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 7:39 PM, Whitefoot said:

I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing on the front if the helmet. Is the white cross the opening in the front for vision and making it easier to breathe, or is it just a ornamental detail with eye slit openings?

The ornamental detail. I was playing around with slits for breathing on the side of the cross during the earlier stages of the logo, like in the spoiler below. However, in the end, I ended up deciding against it because of the otherwise simplistic design of the rest of the logo.

(deleted image)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently finished up a Knight Logo for a client which this reminds me a lot of.  I circled & numbered a couple areas I would consider making adjustments on. First one is I would adjust the line weights on 1 & 2 so they match 3 & 4 then adjust 5 so the trim mark is not visible.  This is a solid upgrade from their current mark, good job.

Knight1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

A few years back, in fact I think maybe even last year, I redesigned my middle school's logo. Since then, I've improved a lot in my design, and as such, I feel that skill should be used in doing more than *conceptual, and somewhat crude* political logos. Before I try to push action forward for our school to change its logo, shown --> HERE <--, I wanted to run it by the most trusted source for critique of conceptual sports logos on the internet! Please let me know what you think and further edits and fixes are on the way.

g6128.png

 

Nice design and update, plus good suggestions by Ren69 which will make the logo even better and cleaner.

 

However, there are some wordmark issues that you may want to solve:

 

I would slightly increase the spacing between the "E" and the "S", reduce the huge gap between the "S" and the "U" (like between the "J" and the "E") and, last but not least, slightly reduce it between the "I" and the "T".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ren69 @GoRedSox! first off i want to say thank you for everything you guys have done for this community, and honestly, y'all have been my inspiration for design in my life. Secondly, thank you for the feedback. I've tried and worked at it for a little bit and I think I have what you're talking about with the adjustments. Lastly, I went ahead and tried logos with the airholes for breathing and a *cringe* black-for-black-sake look.

 

Enjoy!

g7424.png

 

 

EDIT**** updated wordmark

g7494.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it better without the diamond pattern. It looks kind of random and I think it detracts from the beauty of the logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bucknut42 said:

I like it better without the diamond pattern. It looks kind of random and I think it detracts from the beauty of the logo. 

That's what I thought, but when I gauged people's interests in the logos in between finals, they thought that was the better of the two  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, all of these improvements make this one solid update :D

I would definitely pick the first one, the holes just clutter it and are kind of unnecessary imo.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I think the black looks really solid. And just for the record, black in logos are generally against my designing code :P I'll make an exception here.

Although the white version stands well on its own too. It just makes me think "Irish" more than "Jesuit". Keeping with the color scheme that the school has now might be better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

That's what I thought, but when I gauged people's interests in the logos in between finals, they thought that was the better of the two  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Weird stuff. I kinda wanna see what it would look like if you tried to combine the diamond with the cross part. Like maybe moved it to the right so it was touching the cross. Just a thought, might look awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with the diamond pattern version. With so many knights/crusaders logos floating around, you're gonna want a distinguishing feature to stand out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Midway said:

I'd go with the diamond pattern version. With so many knights/crusaders logos floating around, you're gonna want a distinguishing feature to stand out. 

I went ahead and tried it with their current color scheme, and went ahead and went through 8 color schemes, as well as 2 different designs of the cross (4, 8/ 1-3, 5-7)

g9880.png

If anyone has a specific color set they'd like to see, shoot it at me in the comments

 

 

Here's #2 with the style of 4 & 8. seems kinda like a no brainer to have

g9274-7-1.png

^#9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you decide to go multicolored, #1 is your best bet. #6 is alright as well, but #1 adds more red, which makes it look like it belongs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have come back with 2 final ideas (a third on the way). Please let me know what y'all think!Asset 1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.