PAC-12 Alternate Concept Helmets

Briton93

I received some great C&C on my Big Ten helmet project, so I thought I'd follow up with the work I had done for the PAC-12. 

Same as the Big Ten, this project is intended for alternate helmets to be worn for 1+ games. 

I am going to post in pairs, in most cases calling out the rivalries. 

Washingon is a move back to the 90s purple helmet, chrome decals, purple facemask.

Wazzou is a play off of the Tennessee Smoky Mountain design. 

bnNM2At.jpg

0NWqzxc.jpg

2 hours ago, Briton93 said:

I received some great C&C on my Big Ten helmet project, so I thought I'd follow up with the work I had done for the PAC-12. 

Same as the Big Ten, this project is intended for alternate helmets to be worn for 1+ games. 

I am going to post in pairs, in most cases calling out the rivalries. 

Washingon is a move back to the 90s purple helmet, chrome decals, purple facemask.

Wazzou is a play off of the Tennessee Smoky Mountain design. 

bnNM2At.jpg

0NWqzxc.jpg

Not so sure the mountain thing works for wazzu, Pullman in a really flat part of the state

a2BRS8U.png

Alllllllrighty. Glad I haven't relied on my lack of geography for the next two. ?

The Civil War pretty much is self-explanatory: my take on the iridescent galaxy white, and a ghost beaver (with all credit due to Mr. Davidson):

r3xaCyj.jpg

GaBF0lp.jpg

For the Cal/Stanford rivalry, I kept Stanford fairly close to their current alternates: cardinal shell, silver decals and facemask.  I wanted to play up the gold for Golden Bears, so I converted their new logo to a headshot and then used it for a gold decal to match the facemask. The Cal script appears on the visor.

Fun fact on Stanford: their de facto fight song is "All Right Now" by Free.

9FiABdi.jpg

1G1spfN.jpg

Pairing Utah and Colorado together as a rivalry pairing is a stretch, but these two were essentially the only two programs without a formal rival in the PAC-12. 

For these two programs, I went with a Fauxback theme: the Double U decal on a gray shell, with metallic red facemask; and for Colorado, a nod back to the Sky Blue era from the early 80s.

Response from Colorado fans was really spirited. Mostly, "can we all just forget Sky Blue ever happened?" IMO, they've done a good job with the alternate helmets recently, so I'd rather go different and get some heat on a color scheme that nobody ever really loved. I admit I outkicked my coverage on that one. ?

The 8 is a nod to Sal Aunese, who didn't wear Sky Blue when he was there but is held in high regard as the heart and soul of the national championship team, posthumously.

Dw8aHxh.jpg

6gGVLBP.jpg

For the Arizona/Arizona State rivalry, I wanted to play off of two themes: The Copper State and Desert Battle. 

ASU honors Pat Tillman with a Desert ACU pattern, which got me thinking of desert camouflage, which ultimately resulted in a diamondback hydroskin.

lqKZb5k.jpg

qZqnS6L.jpg

Wrapping up the PAC-12 with the Battle of Los Angeles. 

For USC, I used their secondary for a more modern feel, then added Trish-stripe through the facemask.

rL3ccvE.jpg

For UCLA, I went with a Bruin Blue chrome helmet, gold metallic facemask, with the Rose Bowl in the reflection. 

dsPNvPV.jpg

The response was lighter than the Big Ten, but I appreciate the C&C (especially Wazzou).

17 hours ago, cjm3114jr said:

I agree with Dan regarding the AZ teams. Will you be doing the SEC? One other thing, why don't you just lump all of the conferences into one thread?

I had done the PAC-12 a few months earlier and considered them a different portfolio. I will probably do the SEC next. 

Archived