2016 NFL Fields

nbitterman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, slats7 said:

Saints have the cruddiest looking field turf

vlcsnap-2016-12-24-18h55m24s797.png

That, the dreary lighting and the bad uniforms make Saints games not visually appealing.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

5 hours ago, slats7 said:

Saints have the cruddiest looking field turf

vlcsnap-2016-12-24-18h55m24s797.png

And the crazy part is that it's new turf this year, if I'm not mistaken. The old turf was taken out and was going to be used temporarily at the Hall of Fame game this past summer before the paint fiasco. 

The Saints have to have the most boring field in the NFL (excluding the Raiders during the overlap with the MLB and the Steelers with the overlap during the college football season). Plain, nothing creative or visually appealing, and too expansive. They should follow the mold of other domed/artificial turf teams and paint the end zones and 25's.

NSFCvyu.png

On 12/25/2016 at 1:09 AM, CitizenTino said:

And the crazy part is that it's new turf this year, if I'm not mistaken. The old turf was taken out and was going to be used temporarily at the Hall of Fame game this past summer before the paint fiasco. 

Not sure how true, but when discussion of that fiasco came up in Ohio HS football circles (Fawcett -- er, Tom Benson Hall of Fame-- Stadium is a high school stadium after all), was that the Saints replace their field EVERY year due to use.

You have the Saints 10 games, college games, two college bowls, 9 HS title games, and god knows how many concerts and other events require the field to be covered and effective flattened into AstroTurf.

On 12/26/2016 at 11:23 AM, JWhiz96 said:

The Saints have to have the most boring field in the NFL (excluding the Raiders during the overlap with the MLB and the Steelers with the overlap during the college football season). Plain, nothing creative or visually appealing, and too expansive. They should follow the mold of other domed/artificial turf teams and paint the end zones and 25's.

i actually appreciate the simplicity. it's not just about the field itself, but what happens on it. the simplistic field allows you to focus better on the action. also think about the TV overlays that happen (stat graphics, down/distance, first down marker, etc). the field is really the foundation where the entire football presentation happens due to the TV angles. it's best to keep it clean as possible, especially considering how many marks there are already on the field.

this plays into the team performance as well. teams use the gridiron to actually play the game. the lines, hash marks, and numbers all are often used as marks for pass and run plays. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Raiders' share their stadium with the A's during baseball season, so the dirt base paths occasionally get muddy. In addition, the stadium has had numerous issues with sewage creeping up onto the field and dugouts. Those two things are why Oakland's stadium is muddy.

Can't say I know the reason for Qualcomm though. Just old I guess.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived