The 'Center goes "Old School"

JamesCraven

I always enjoyed Charley Steiner, especially when he was paired with Linda Cohn.

Some highlights:

Steiner has been involved in many, often comical, situations during his tenure at the show, including one when Carl Lewis sang the national anthem at a New Jersey Nets NBA game, and Steiner, amused by hearing Lewis sing, apparently could not contain himself and began laughing during the Sportscenter show that night, not being able to stop himself until the show ended.

Steiner was featured on one of the most famous Sportscenter television ads from their This is Sportscenter comical ads campaign. In 1999, amid fears of the Y2K situation, Steiner starred in a Sportscenter ad, where Sportscenter cast spoke about a contingency plan at ESPN's studios after Y2K, and Steiner was featured wearing a head band and screaming the phrase Follow me to freedom!!!

Charley Steiner - Wikipedia

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Steiner has also broken down on a Mike Tyson-Mitch "Blood" Green story.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Charlie Steiner (born July 17, 1949) is an American sportscaster on radio and television. He is famous among fans of the New York Yankees as the long-time radio play-by-play announcer of the team for the Yankees Radio Network, along with co-host John Sterling. He has also appeared on the ESPN television show, SportsCenter, since the show began broadcasting in 1979, and hosts a radio talk show at ESPN radio.

Wow, I didn't know that 3 years counted as long time.

Well, well, well.

On the day ESPN sends out a media release telling us about SC Old School, Keith Olbermann, the man who has burned many a bridge behind The Walt Disney Company, announces on his MSNBC Countdown show he'll do a week of 16-month stuff.

And speaking of SC Old School, here's the line-up:

• Sunday (8/8) - Craig Kilborn (Late Late Show) and Dan Patrick.
  • Monday (8/9) - Charlie Steiner (WCBS Radio and YES Network) and Bob Ley.
  • Tuesday (8/10) - Gayle Gardner (retired from television) and Stuart Scott.
  • Wednesday (8/11) - Greg Gumbel (CBS Sports' NFL Today and NCAA BAsketball Championship) and Chris Berman.
  • Thursday (8/12) - George Grande (Cincinnati Reds TV and first SC anchor) and Berman.

All start at 11 PM ET/8 PM PT.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived