infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 15

infrared41

And just like that, we have two weeks left in the season. Another solid week of uniform match ups - including a couple that will be in the discussion for game of the year. We also had some pretty ugly match ups - with one team that couldn't decide which era it wanted to represent so it went with most of them. As always, the lists are just my opinion.

Best:

1. Packers - Bears: For the past couple seasons, one of these teams had ruined this match up by wearing it's awful throwback. Last year it was the Bears and the 50's High School throwbacks at home. This year, the Packers returned the favor and wore that awful Acme Packer get up. This week, we finally got the proper uniform match up between these two teams and it was the easy choice for the #1 slot on the best list. Two of the very best uniforms in the game and a contender for best match up of the year. Every game should look this good.

4U7cKJU.jpgFeXLOp5.jpg

2. Colts - Vikings: Another great looking game. Two more of the very best uniforms in the game. Time to trot out the "any other week and this one takes the top slot" bit. A possible contender for game of the year? Maybe. They all should look this good.

4HKi05q.jpg

3. 49ers - Falcons: Nice to see the Falcons back on the best list. This fauxback isn't their best look, but it's still a really good look and it's a whole lot better than the primary set. Atlanta needs to go to the pre-one helmet rule throwbacks. The 49ers looked great as usual. 

2BcwbR3.jpg

4. Titans - Chiefs: You know it's a pretty good week when the Titans best road look is matched up against one of the top five uniforms in the league and it's only good for the #4 slot.  Add this game to the "any other week" list.

NeR3ehz.jpg

5. Carolina - Washington: Tough call between this one and game #6. The colors were the deciding factor. The Indigenous Peoples colors work well with the Panthers colors.

Qv1VmbD.jpg

6. Lions - Giants: I didn't feel like looking it up, but it seems like the Lions have made the best list at least 12 of the 15 weeks this season. That's what a decent uniform and a good schedule can do for a team.

D1oqP9Z.jpg 

Honorable Mention:

Raiders - Chargers: There isn't much I like about the Chargers current uniform, but the colors in this game looked pretty cool. The Raiders road set is at the top of my list.

VYd4LtT.jpg

Worst:

1. Rams - Seahawks: I like Seattle's neon green - in moderation. Head to toe neon green was...to be kind...a tad much. If highlighters played football, this is what it would look like. Then we have the Rams who couldn't decide which era to represent so they decided to represent as many eras as they could. As much as I like the old blue and white helmet, I have to admit that it looked terrible combined with the Rams current uniform. All I ask is that people don't judge the blue and white helmet based on that uniform. This game was pure garbage.

V3oqvIS.jpg9e4lR7h.jpg

2. Jaguars - Texans: The Texans have some good looking combos and this one isn't any of them. I want to say those uniforms looked like a bad high school uniform, but I don't recall ever seeing a high school uniform that looked that bad. When the Jags are the best looking team on the field, we're in trouble.

WaYf6Fi.jpg

3. Browns - Bills: A little less brown, a little more orange, and a lot less blue, and this game might have found it's way onto the best list. Usually, teams simply play down to the Browns level. It's rare to see a team try to dress down to the Browns level, but here we are. 

KZnuo8t.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look and have a safe and happy holiday. 

34 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Best:

1. Packers - Bears: For the past couple seasons, one of these teams had ruined this match up by wearing it's awful throwback. Last year it was the Bears and the 50's High School throwbacks at home. This year, the Packers returned the favor and wore that awful Acme Packer get up. This week, we finally got the proper uniform match up between these two teams and it was the easy choice for the #1 slot on the best list. Two of the very best uniforms in the game and a contender for best match up of the year. Every game should look this good.

Not so fast my friend. This year the NFL ruined the first matchup, not the Packers.  Color rash was the problem, not the gold yoke Packers.

39 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

2. Jaguars - Texans: The Texans have some good looking combos and this one isn't any of them. I want to say those uniforms looked like a bad high school uniform, but I don't recall ever seeing a high school uniform that looked that bad. When the Jags are the best looking team on the field, we're in trouble.

WaYf6Fi.jpg

That Texans combo is weird. It has a classic A/B/A/B color pattern, and it has the same solid design they always have. I feel like I should like it, but it just doesn't work. I wouldn't say it's awful, but it's not one of their better looks. I definitely prefer it over the red monochrome though.

This was, hands down, the strongest week of the year (at last on the "best" side). Packers-Bears at Soldier Field is usually my leading contender for best matchup of the year, as long as they don't screw it up with alternates or color rush.

Potentially unpopular opinion: I actually prefer the Falcons' black helmet with those throwbacks than the red helmet. The red helmet always stood out like a sore thumb to me, since it didn't match any of the other uniform elements (jerseys, pants, or socks). Maybe Red/Black/White/Red would look good, but I think I'd still prefer B/B/W/B. Slap a white/red/white stripe on that helmet (preferably with the red larger than the two white stripes), and you'd have the perfect Falcons primary uniform, IMO.

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 11:25 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Idiots.

You deserve to go 0 - 16.

27 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

It's pretty obvious the NFC North is the best dressed division in football.

and the afc west 

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Not so fast my friend. This year the NFL ruined the first matchup, not the Packers.  Color rash was the problem, not the gold yoke Packers.

You're right, the games I was thinking of both took place last season. 

5 hours ago, kroywen said:

This was, hands down, the strongest week of the year (at last on the "best" side). Packers-Bears at Soldier Field is usually my leading contender for best matchup of the year, as long as they don't screw it up with alternates or color rush.

Potentially unpopular opinion: I actually prefer the Falcons' black helmet with those throwbacks than the red helmet. The red helmet always stood out like a sore thumb to me, since it didn't match any of the other uniform elements (jerseys, pants, or socks). Maybe Red/Black/White/Red would look good, but I think I'd still prefer B/B/W/B. Slap a white/red/white stripe on that helmet (preferably with the red larger than the two white stripes), and you'd have the perfect Falcons primary uniform, IMO.

I get what you're saying, but those are things I've never cared about. My only criteria for a uniform is that it looks good. 

49 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I get what you're saying, but those are things I've never cared about. My only criteria for a uniform is that it looks good. 

That's my overall criteria as well, but I actually don't think the Falcons' red lids look all that great. (I realize that's a very unpopular opinion.) The black helmet looks far superior, and would be even better with a splash of red via a stripe.

I'm actually not a fan of red helmets unless paired with a red jersey - to me, they stick out way too much otherwise. Hence why the Chiefs look great, but the old Bills red helmet looked terrible, IMO (and not just because of the oversized stripe).

For all the things wrong with the uniforms of the Bills-Browns game, I thought it was still very pleasant to watch-- a much different "worst" contender for me from Bucs-Jags.

Raiders-Chargers would have been somewhere in the 2-4 range on my best list.

unpopular opinion, i don't think the Texans ever looked better. i see how it's odd to see them in this set (i can't recall last time they wore it, if ever) but if this were their primary home set, i think after a season or two people would get used to it. the regular blue over white looks too top-heavy. this set balances well top to bottom

Just now, BrandMooreArt said:

unpopular opinion, i don't think the Texans ever looked better. i see how it's odd to see them in this set (i can't recall last time they wore it, if ever) but if this were their primary home set, i think after a season or two people would get used to it. the regular blue over white looks too top-heavy. this set balances well top to bottom

Also, the part I like the most about it is that it emphasizes red, to differentiate them from the Cowboys and blue. Until the Texans switch to white helmets, this should be one of their primary combinations (alongside red/white/navy)

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, the part I like the most about it is that it emphasizes red, to differentiate them from the Cowboys and blue. Until the Texans switch to white helmets, this should be one of their primary combinations (alongside red/white/navy)

personally, i wouldn't want to see a switch to white helmets (i think the logo looks best on blue) but i do agree it would be good for them to emphasize red. not only to set themselves apart from the Cowboys, but the other 2 blue based division teams too

I thought the Falcons looked darn near perfect. I prefer that look with silver pants myself, but even still I can't help but applaud that set. A far more clean and timeless look than their current Arena League garbage, which looks so stuck in 2004 that I nearly hear Howard Dean screaming in the background every time I see it. 

Archived