MLS 2017 with Digby -- 1/21 bonus NE Revs ideas

Digby

Hi all! It has been many, many minutes since I was working on design regularly. Trying to change that now with another run through my own versions of 2017 Major League Soccer kits. They might look a little weird since my usual template (the SS Kits template for Football Manager) doesn't come with shorts and socks, so I had to frankenstein a couple templates together. But hopefully you'll at least get the idea.

I intend to run through each conference alphabetically, only doing one kit per team based on what they're actually due for in 2017. At the end I'll do the full sets for the two expansion teams. Also I've read conflicting things whether all next year's kits are going to go back to shoulder stripes or not, so I'm just gonna put the stripes wherever I feel like on that particular kit. :) So here goes.

EAST:

Atlanta United / Chicago Fire / Columbus Crew / DC United / Montreal Impact / New England Revolution / New York City FC / New York Red Bulls / Orlando City / Philadelphia Union / Toronto FC 

WEST:

Colorado Rapids / FC Dallas / Houston Dynamo / LA Galaxy / Minnesota United / Portland Timbers / Real Salt Lake / San Jose Earthquakes / Seattle Sounders / Sporting Kansas City / Vancouver Whitecaps

---------------------------------------------------------

First up is Chicago Fire, which is actually a hard way to start as I think their current away set is perfect and exactly what they should wear. I tried to stick with the Chicago flag theme, based on the colors and the stars in the lower right of the shirt, but change up the design some.

chi_away.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And just to start with momentum, here's Columbus Crew as well. Like most others I remain vexed over what the heck they thought they were doing with their current away kit -- the only explanation I can think of for (mostly) ditching the yellow is that their 2017 home kit would have too much yellow on the away. Unlikely, but that's how I'm choosing to interpret it. :) So the black and gold get their two colors in a hoops setup this time.

col_home.jpg

Thanks y'all! @mamiller99 if MLS sticks to the usual schedule, Columbus will still have vomit jerseys this year. I was shocked how often they wore them even last year, after the public reception.

Anyway, here's DC United. A little bit tough to work with, but I tried to go with something that evoked both their 90s away jerseys and the DC flag.

dc_away.jpg

Thanks @kerlonmoura!

Now onto Montreal Impact -- one thing I'd like to try to avoid is the all-white-with-team-color-trim thing that many MLS teams fall into with their away kits by default. For Montreal I looked back to their days in the USL and modern NASL, where for at least part of that time they had a pink and black third kit. A little risky, but seems to fit Montreal I think!

mtl_away.jpg

Hi again. Here's another design, a new away for the home-region New England Revolution. The Revs had a long history of dull white color-swapped away kits until the most recent set, which was a standout variation on the New England battle flag that the team's supporters use. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a good way to do a second version on that...everything I came up with looked too much like the current away, a New York Red Bulls kit, or a Chicago Fire kit, so I gave up and tried a new idea. In this case I figure the Chivas USA corpse has been cold long enough to bring back red/white stripes on top and navy shorts, which is one of my favorite looks all around.

ne_away.png

26 minutes ago, Digby said:

Thanks y'all! @New York's Greatest good timing, because NYCFC is next. Turned out a little similar to the recent leak but that's alright with me.

nyc_home.jpg

Beautiful! Just absolutely gorgeous! Also Kudos on the 5-Boroughs and Dutch colonialism references with the 5 flowers on the bottom left.

Thank you! The jock tag thing is actually five pentagons as my borough reference. :)

Lest I leave one side of the Hudson River unrepresented, here's my take for New York Red Bulls. I feel like there's not too much you can do with their look; but I liked the addition of red sleeves on the last set so I preserved those, just converting to a modern template and making them raglan style. Also a little MetroStars reference on the jock tag.

nyrb_home.jpg

Thanks everyone. Been busy lately, but managed to work on an Orlando City SC look. Another team where I feel there's not a ton you can do -- so I moved the stripes to the side and changed them to gold as the biggest change. Also a subtle sunburst pattern on the shirt, which actually got me thinking about a 1996 Revs throwback. Feedback welcome!

orl_home.jpg

Managed to get another quick one finished, this time Philadelphia Union -- the all-white default away look bores me, but all-gold kits never look good either in my opinion, so I took the yellow and blue from the Philadelphia city flag. Simple, but I think it's pretty distinctive.

phi_away.jpg

Archived