Why Canada hasn't won a major North American sports league title since 1993?

Marcos Flamengo

Honestly, Colin Oberst's "Canadian Gold" didn't give good luck to the Canucks when they came to the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. I hope that CBC and Rogers WON'T renew the contract with Oberst to sublicensing the song and replace it with the theme tune of Sportsnet's NHL coverage on Hockey Night in Canada.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I hope that the Montreal Canadiens or the Ottawa Senators or the Edmonton Oilers or the Flames will break the McSorley curse this year, if they continuing play well and making a great Stanley Cup playoff run. Canadian teams have learned of what happened last season and now they're going pretty well. I'm just talking about the four best Canadian teams so far in the NHL regular season.

We've been trying to tell you that there is no curse, and if there was a curse, it wouldn't be named after him. Go back to whining about local and national broadcast contracts, in ways that show a basic lack of research skills and strange beliefs in theme music.

Of course, don't tell the "no curse" to @RaginRonic , as he's a complete nutjob who takes offense at anything remotely anti-Canadian.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

We've been trying to tell you that there is no curse, and if there was a curse, it wouldn't be named after him. Go back to whining about local and national broadcast contracts, in ways that show a basic lack of research skills and strange beliefs in theme music.

Of course, don't tell the "no curse" to @RaginRonic , as he's a complete nutjob who takes offense at anything remotely anti-Canadian.

Instead, I would say to break the drought. Right, @SFGiants58?.

23 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Instead, I would say to break the drought. Right, @SFGiants58?.

That's better.

I feel bad for making fun of you, and for seeing others make fun of your English skills. English is a difficult language to learn, even for native speakers. You seem passionate about these things, and I like that you've found your little niche.

On the other hand, I'm going to be disappointed if @RaginRonic doesn't show up. I love his delusional rants!

On 6/14/2016 at 4:44 PM, RaginRonic said:

RedRenesis, the rosters for Canada's NHL teams are meant to be purposefully weak compared to the ones for the U.S. teams. Using the NHL's current business model, it's going to take Canada's franchises 50-75 years to make up all that lost ground that the changes made to the league during Gary's reign has done to the teams here. I want that problem solved in no more than 7, the Canadian dollar be damned.

McCarthy, Gary did not want the 1st 8-seeded team to win the Cup to come out of Canada. In fact, it's likely that in 2004, the Lightning lost the games they lost on purpose to set the Flames, and the City of Calgary, up for humiliation in Game 7. Calgary's players should have injured Andreychuk out of that series in Game 1, and beat the s**t out of the Lightning that whole night, spilling Tampa Bay's blood everywhere, and ended their best players' seasons. That's what Canada's teams should do in the playoffs...play psychotically violent and bloody hockey, that mounts up the body count of the U.S. teams.

It's the only way I see a Canadian franchise winning the Cup again, because, to me, Gary, the 23 U.S. NHL clubs, and NBC only want to do one thing...:censored: Canada, and Rogers/CBC, for endless amounts of money that they should have no access to, and shouldn't be allowed to take action to go after. Leave our money alone.

> = (

On 6/14/2016 at 1:49 AM, RaginRonic said:

This is what I had to say to Nick Kypreos on FB(don't know if it made it onto his page or not, nor really care)...

'Hi Nick...1st time poster here.

Anyway, I've come up with a theory about the NHL, and it goes like this.

The NHL boss, Gary Bettman, treats the league like it's a diner. To him, the 7 Canadian home clubs are forced to work the kitchen for the 23 U.S. clubs, who are the only customers the diner attracts.

The ones who work the kitchen are also forced to starve themselves in it, and aren't allowed to take anything out of there.

They're also given no pay, and are forced to give up all of their trade secrets, and cannot use what they know for themselves at any time.

They're also not permitted to join the 'customers' out front for a bite of food.

What is the 'food', you ask? The Stanley Cup.

And that sucks a big fat one. That's called mistreatment and abuse...like the Canadian teams are forced to be treated like dogs...beaten and whipped into silence like the dogs at a greyhound track.

Why there's been no action tolerated to stop that crap, I'll never know.

It's a big reason why the NHL's pro-U.S. stance needs to die, and why those who are in the league who quietly defend it need to resign/retire.

The NHL is a one-man government, and that makes me think that Gary is the U.S. equivalent of Stephen Harper, who was also a one-man government.

And it all sucks, that Canada's punished by Gary like that for not being the U.S.

> = ('

And, frankly, it's all true.

Reposted for hilarity's sake.

I try to email Mr. Bettman, but I can't. He actually doesn't respond to my letters!. As always. It's hard to email to him, because if not only I but also many others who try to email to him make criticisms of his NHL management, I'm sure that he will ignore it and even slash all of us.

3 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I try to email Mr. Bettman, but I can't. He actually doesn't respond to my letters!. As always. It's hard to email to him, because if not only I but also many others who try to email to him make criticisms of his NHL management, I'm sure that he will ignore it and even slash all of us.

He probably doesn't understand your broken English...

9 hours ago, Mockba said:

Maybe Canadians are right about Toronto thinking it's the cent[re] of the universe.

Greg Sansone when he was on air at The Score put it to - Western Canada starts at Mississauga, Eastern Canada starts at Oshawa.  6 million+ ppl in the GTA with too much going on, we can't please everyone.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

12 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

This is the good stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've skimmed through while monitoring students writing a test on the last day before winter break... If this was mentioned before, apologies for repeating.

With 1 team in MLB and NBA, odds are stacked against them and that is obvious. In regards to the NHL, I think there is more at play. Our weak dollar right now is not helping things but also the fact that many of the Canadian players (who make up the majority of the rosters) do not want to play in Canadian cities. There was a report on TSN a while ago with a player agent who said that when GM's ask players for a list of team they do not want to be traded to, many players have Canadian teams on the top of the list because of the Canadian dollar as well as media scrutiny in those markets. Those are probably the 2 main reasons why Canadian teams won't win a Cup for a while because it is hard to attract talent to those markets.

On 22/12/2016 at 6:55 AM, Marcos Flamengo said:

I have to tell a testimony of mine: I've watched the 2011 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 between the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins on ESPN Brasil. At that Game 7, the Canucks did not play nothing, they were dominated by Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara and the Bruins. They were beaten by the Black and Gold, 4-0. The final series score: 4 games to 3 for the Bruins. I saw many Canucks fans crying at the game 7's final seconds. And after that, many fans made an infamous riot just like in 1994 after the Rangers beat the.

Many Canucks fans blamed Marty McSorley for this traumatic loss and the lack of competence that Canucks had in the final two games.

Okay.... what?

As a Canucks fan and season ticket holder who attended that game 7 i can most certainly say there is no way any canucks fan inside that building or watching it anywhere spared a thought about McSorely for even a second.

The Canucks lost that game because they were tired, injured, and simply beaten down by a better team who deserved the cup. No one blames anyone for that loss except for the fact the team was done mentally and physically after game 5. There is no McSorely voodoo with the Canucks at all. The "many people" you claim believe that are probably tweekers on Hastings and Main. And If YOU genuinely believe that, i want what your smoking.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

1 hour ago, Connor Hanley said:

Okay.... what?

As a Canucks fan and season ticket holder who attended that game 7 i can most certainly say there is no way any canucks fan inside that building or watching it anywhere spared a thought about McSorely for even a second.

The Canucks lost that game because they were tired, injured, and simply beaten down by a better team who deserved the cup. No one blames anyone for that loss except for the fact the team was done mentally and physically after game 5. There is no McSorely voodoo with the Canucks at all. The "many people" you claim believe that are probably tweekers on Hastings and Main. And If YOU genuinely believe that, i want what your smoking.

So sorry about that.

Archived