Middle-earth Hockey League (Rivendell Lords 18/18)

Pulv!

As in this period so many people seems to be taken into the Star Wars madness I've decided to change the subject of my fantasy league from Star Wars to The Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit world. My Galactic Football League will have to wait a bit more. 

Why did I choose hockey for my Middle-earth fantasy league?

I thought that hockey was the most fitting sport for J.R.R. Tolkien fictional continent as most of his stories take place in dark and cold times full of battles and wars. To me hockey is one of those sports which represents best an ancient battle fight.

For these reasons I'm glad to present you the Middle-earth Hockey League (MEHL in short)!

Little geographical lesson

My hockey league teams will all be based on the geography you can see on maps in Tolkien's most famous books, LOTR and The Hobbit, which are setted in the Third Age of Arda (just because Middle-earth has not been the same shape ever). The whole world which is called Ea or Arda has many different continents but all my teams will be in the Middle-earth continent (also known as Endor, well, not that Endor).

League Teams

Rohan Riders

Helm's Deep Defenders

Minas Tirith Monarchs

Minas Morgul Nazguls

Osgiliath Legion

Bree Brewers

Rivendell Lords

Mirkwood Hunters

Moria Forgers

Isengard Wild

Erebor Mountain Kings

Shire Halflings

Misty Mountains Avalanche

Mordor Black Army

Anduin Argonath

Ithilien Bowmen

Dale Blazers

Iron Hills Ironfeet

League Map (the image is quite big, I suggest to have a look on full size mode)

31654211542_8c6d5698bc_o.png

The league will not have conferences in it and every team will be playing two season games against each other team, one home and one away. There will not be playoffs, the team with the most victories gets the league trophy. In case of an even number of victories of two or more teams the number of draws or losses will be analysed.

Hope you enjoy this thread!

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rohan Riders

Team colors and logo are heavily based on the stendard of the king of Rohan which sports a white horse on a green background with a sun in the upper right corner. You can see the sun in my identity as a golden shoulder pacth in the yoke. As Rohan is based on the viking world I thought that a viking vibe to the uni was quite right.

31654201042_c5441e8030_o.png

31685318851_f5131cba68_o.png

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Intriguing, I don't think I've ever seen a Middle-earth hockey concept before. I started one several years ago, but never finished it. Looks like you put a lot of effort into this. As a fanatic for all things Tolkien, I like most of what I see so far.

From a hockey standpoint, might I suggest making the celtic/Rohirrim border green on the white jersey? The gold pattern just doesn't show up well against the white uniform and from a distance will look very bare. Or you could keep them gold and add a green stripe behind them. Also, from a practical perspective if the team  is wearing gloves then the border on the arms probably won't be very visible if they are that close to the cuff. If you move them up the arms a bit they will be more noticeable. Numbers on the arms will make it look more complete.

This is your project so don't feel obliged to change everything, but I do have a couple of suggestions for the team names.

Minas Morgul Wraiths rolls off the tongue easier than nazguls. Isengard Wild could be different. Something like: Fighters, Brawlers, Warriors...etc.  Forgers isn't a bad name, but Moria Miners has a good ring to it. I'm surprised you don't have Dunedain Rangers or Lorien Sentinals, they seem more worthy to have teams than some of the others. Maybe replace Anduin and Ithilien? Dale Blazers isn't bad, but what about Archers, or even Bowmen (I know you have Bowmen for Ithilien)? Also Mordor Watchers? Like I said, just suggestions...

Overall, good ideas, but they could use some tinkering with.

Thank you for all the feedback!

On 22/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, Snow_Monster said:

From a hockey standpoint, might I suggest making the celtic/Rohirrim border green on the white jersey?

I must admit I was thinking of it but then I decided to go for an all white look. After your suggestion I tried it again and the green really makes the gold pattern pop out, so I decided to go with it. 

31700132702_a28d0a626e_o.png

On 22/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, Snow_Monster said:

Minas Morgul Wraiths rolls off the tongue easier than nazguls. Isengard Wild could be different. Something like: Fighters, Brawlers, Warriors...etc.  Forgers isn't a bad name, but Moria Miners has a good ring to it. I'm surprised you don't have Dunedain Rangers or Lorien Sentinals, they seem more worthy to have teams than some of the others. Maybe replace Anduin and Ithilien?

I really appreciate the help with the naming. I'll definitely go with Minas Morgul Wraiths! For the others names I'll stay with my own teams because I've already given a shot at the concepts either in color palette or logo designing and I'm pretty happy for the league overall look (especially in colors...) but you will tell me in the future. Moreover I don't want this league to became too big as it would become too difficult for me to handle a large number of teams so I will not add teams (except in a possible future expansion of course...).

On 22/12/2016 at 8:13 PM, Pava said:

Is the sun on left shoulder bigger than on right shoulder?

The two suns are ment to be the same size. It was my bad fitting in the yoke to make them look different in size. I'll try to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

Minas Tirith Monarchs

I first thought of white black and gold as a colour scheme for the Monarchs but then I realized gold was not a color of Gondor or of its kings so I opted for the silver white black scheme from the banner of Gondor. The white tree logo was also taken from the banner. You can see on the top of the logo my own version of the crown of gondor being an winged conic helmet. This detail will be important for a team to come...

Shoulder stars represents the star of the morning Earendil, a sign of hope, who is also Aragorn's grandfather in law.

32177275926_83cb4c69fa_o.png

32177276136_8c1e293f65_o.png

The skewed numbers look a little off. I can see it working for a Shire team or even Mordor, but it doesn't really fit Gondor very well. Black stars on the away jersey look a bit odd. Try a black yoke with white stars.

Why aren't there numbers on the sleeves?

Otherwise an interesting design and idea. Keep it going.

3 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

The skewed numbers look a little off. I can see it working for a Shire team or even Mordor, but it doesn't really fit Gondor very well. Black stars on the away jersey look a bit odd. Try a black yoke with white stars.

Why aren't there numbers on the sleeves?

Otherwise an interesting design and idea. Keep it going.

The black stars were bothering me too... I'll try some silver. 

What about this? I like it better...

31842668010_2c058a7db4_o.png

1 hour ago, Snow_Monster said:

The update is a big improvement. I'll second canucklehead's desire for shoulder numbers, but it looks good.

One nitpick is the crown on the shield. Why the departure from Tolkien's design?

Gondor crown was an helmet before a crown and although Tolkien described it more like a pope tiara with wings I felt that a more proper helmet form was well suited. The crown Aragorn wears during the crowning cerimony in the movie has always been an eyesore to me.

I'll definitely put shoulder numbers in next designs.

2 hours ago, Pulv! said:

Gondor crown was an helmet before a crown and although Tolkien described it more like a pope tiara with wings I felt that a more proper helmet form was well suited. The crown Aragorn wears during the crowning cerimony in the movie has always been an eyesore to me.

I'll definitely put shoulder numbers in next designs.

Well, yeah, but it's still a crown. You can still adhere to Tolkien's design. I admit that his own drawing of it looks a bit odd, but it's not impossible to make it look pretty cool. This picture  does a good job of staying true to the master sub-creator's vision while retaining a sense of practicality.https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c7/a8/02/c7a802e4750f3139804ea7603a2113eb.jpg

9 hours ago, Snow_Monster said:

Well, yeah, but it's still a crown. You can still adhere to Tolkien's design. I admit that his own drawing of it looks a bit odd, but it's not impossible to make it look pretty cool. This picture  does a good job of staying true to the master sub-creator's vision while retaining a sense of practicality.https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c7/a8/02/c7a802e4750f3139804ea7603a2113eb.jpg

Yeah for sure, thanks for the cool image. Maybe it is difficoult to see but my design of the crown is almost the same of your image. I'll post an enlarged version soon as the crown will be a part of the main logo of another team.

• 4 weeks later...

Shire Halflings

The color palette is based on colors usually worn by hobbits of the shire, in particular these three (velvet green, jacket red and waistcoat brown) were worn by Bilbo when he left home to start his journey. 

Those colors are popular among hobbits as they are used in velvety breeches and waistcoats. To design the logo I though of what really reminds me of hobbits and, although my first idea was their peculiar feet, smoking pipes are definitely an hobbit invention. 

I planned to call the team Shire Hobbits but then I thought that as Hockey is a manly sport also in Middle Earth a team made of hobbits should have a name reflecting more a man's point of view.

32628524566_5767613702_o.png

32628524766_df4c8b4aef_o.png

The Halflings! I can't imagine them as the only Hobbits, they could be dangerous when they sneak behind the players, but the only difference is that the goalie could cover like a half of the goal. 

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

4 minutes ago, JMtexan09 said:

The Halflings! I can't imagine them as the only Hobbits, they could be dangerous when they sneak behind the players, but the only difference is that the goalie could cover like a half of the goal. 

I said there are hobbit players in the Shire team, though not every player is a hobbit...so maybe not the goalkeeper ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Osgiliath Legion

The team logo features two of the main symbols of the kingdom of Gondor, the Crown of the kings and the Great Horn. I chose those two symbols as they represented to me the two things Gondor solders fight for in the ruined town of Osgiliath: the present ( the horn representing Boromir) and the future (the crown represeting the return of the king). The color palette is tuned on greys to represent both armours and stone buildings. The shoulder patch is a O shaped like the section of one of the many town broken towers.

32504902540_df2076a17c_o.png

32762405221_47fb4ea304_o.png

• 2 weeks later...

Misty Mountains Avalanche

The Misty Mountain team will be based in the town of Ost-in-Edhil, an ancient elfic fortress near the entrance of the mines of Moria under the mighty three peaks of Caradhras (Red Horn), Celebdil (Silvertine) and Fanuidhol (Cloudyhead) . Those same three peaks could be seen in the main logo.

The color scheme is for sure ispired by the colours of the ever-frozen slopes of the Mountains.

The name on the jersey is Snow as I couldn't find a character to have his name on it (it is not related to Jon Snow in any sense...really any...:rolleyes:).

32770439120_238aa5b23b_o.png

32996933532_b5f0a4e94d_o.png

Archived