Point1's OHL Rebrand (9/20: Guelph Storm)

Point1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha
On 12/22/2017 at 11:11 AM, Point1 said:

Happy Holidays again!

This series was never dead, just on hold. With some time back home I finally will be able to render some designs I've had in my head in the past year or so. I'm choosing to disregard alphabetical order and jump in with the North Bay Battalion.

#7: North Bay Battalion

The North Bay, formerly Brampton, Battalion have one of the more unique and bizarre logo sets in the OHL. With no secondary logo, the grimacing soldier in olive, yellow, black, and red is the face of the franchise. I tried really hard to maintain that colour scheme but I just couldn't find a way to make the olive colour not sickening. Instead I've simplified the colours to forest green and gold. I've always thought that cartoons of soldiers in logos is a little bit odd so I chose to go with a design inspired by the chevrons on the current sweater, intended to be simple and eye-catching. The secondaries are also based on CAF patches. I'm not a fan of militarized sports teams but with a name like Battalion it's kind of impossible to avoid.

UeEjmCt.png

XubV1gD.png

Love the primary.  Best version of a maple leaf chevron I've seen yet.  Is that specific design yours?  I looked around and saw other combinations of maple leafs and chevrons, but none that look exactly like this.

25 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Love the primary.  Best version of a maple leaf chevron I've seen yet.  Is that specific design yours?  I looked around and saw other combinations of maple leafs and chevrons, but none that look exactly like this.

All the logos that aren't already used by teams are my original designs/renderings. I've actually never seen leaf Chevron designs before, just came about organically when I was sketching out ideas, guess it's an idea that makes a lot of sense! Appreciate the compliment buddy :)

Next up will be Guelph, hopefully by tonight. Took ages to get a design I liked from them. Any more comments on NB or Mississauga are still appreciated of course.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. One last one before Christmas.

#9: Guelph Storm

Guelph gave me a whole lot of trouble, which is why I skipped over it when I was going in alphabetical order. They have an awful name, an awful colour scheme (burgundy and black?!) and especially an awful logo. I knew I had to start from scratch. After a lot of failed attempts at rendering tornadoes, storm clouds, etc. I finally hit on a design I liked, which is once again simple with a clear G and a subtle S from the lightning bolt. It also has a crown, representing Guelph's nickname "The Royal City." The colour scheme is by far the most adventurous I've tried so far; when I went to their website I noticed that a lot of their promotional material includes light teal for some reason. Since I didn't like the black, didn't want an identical palette to the Petes, and didn't want to use gold or navy yet again, I thought I'd give it a shot. I like it, but it is definitely out there.

pbRaFmJ.png

7Oy0wGz.png

Happy Holidays everyone!

I just found this

Don’t watch much hockey, a lot of these designs are kinda bland to me, but then again any hockey design, but I can appreciate the effort and work put behind this project and a lot of logos have turned out great

The storm particularly took my eye, looks great my favorite so far.

Keep working hard, I think i speak for everyone when I say it’s proven it’s worth

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. It might be clear but I'm not at home any more so this series will be taking another hiatus (hopefully shorter than the last one).

If anyone else has anything to say about the past three teams that'd be awesome. Happy new year!

• 6 months later...

I just found this thread in doing research for my own OHL concepts, and I think it's some really great work; well researched and presented. Your philosophy and opinions are much like my own. My favorites so far are your Mississauga (that M mark is just amazing) and North Bay (another great logo and very effective way to avoid using that putrid olive green). Here's hoping you pick this series up again soon!

Holy :censored: man, these are all amazing. Really hope you come back to it, and in my dream world I would love to see you tackle the QMJHL. Lot of great logos in there but there are some *BAD* ones (cough Halifax cough).

spacer.png

Wow guys, really wasn't expecting to see new responses to these. Will hopefully be returning to this project in December. Really appreciate the kind words.

The Q is my home league so I'm excited to eventually give them a go too.

Archived