College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

2 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

This just reinforces my belief on how much Nike sucks in comparison to Under Armor. Everyone knows that the colors for Toledo are "Midnight Blue" and yellow (i'm sure there is a special name for it but I can't remember). So why the hell is there this grey and black creeping into the uniform? What was wrong with the UA uniforms? What is wrong with yellow? Or should I say; what is wrong with your secondary color that you've had for over 100 years? Why dose Nike try to piss off fans so much? I just don't get the point of removing traditional colors from uniform and replacing them with black and dark grey.

Toledo themselves have already accomplished the none school colors look already with UA. Toledo chose it, not the company.

tol-13-grayyellowhelm-1-675x380.jpg

toledo-vs-buffalo-nov-12.jpg

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Blazersfan38 said:

New Jersey patch on the back of the new Rutgers unis.

IMG_2118.PNG

Oh, so those Rutgers jerseys are legit. I like that they kept the font but other than that I think they're pretty boring. Nike got it right with the striping pattern. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 7/8/2017 at 6:26 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

did that come from UA? or is that the original thinking behind the stripe? 

i suppose its a matter of decoration vs design. was the original intent only aesthetic? was there a purpose for it? (to stand out among competitors?) was there really an expression of a concept? or, was it all 3? 

The quote was from the senior creative director at Under Armour, not the original thinking behind the stripes. 

The original thinking behind the stripe was likely "it's 1949, let's put some stripes on this shirt. Done." 

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

ok, im catching up now. honestly, i don't think this is as nefarious as @McCarthy post made it sound (perhaps unintentionally. this is in no way any kind of aggression towards you, i just dont agree with the thing you said). Clement is referencing something he found.

"When Clement sees the mark, he's inspired by a quote he found on the school's website: "As UCLA moves onward, we leverage our history to define our future."

so yea, he then interpreted the stripe as a symbol of that quote. so its not a typical press release where they're saying "this is what this means", (which is what i thought it was and was confused) its just one persons vision. and if you ask me, his ability to connect the 2 things in that way is a big reason why he became CD of UA team sports. 

The plan is to use the UCLA stripe on every athletic uniform, which is exactly what I would do if I was handed this project - Their uniforms sport to sport are wildly inconsistent and that stripe is the most identifying element. It's a big fat hanging curveball with the bases loaded of an idea.

What I scoff at, and looks like others agree with me, is fetching some quote off their website (and every single university has some similar platitude so it's not like UCLA is even special in this regard) and then bending the words to apply meaning to a stripe that has existed since 1949. That stripe has come to define UCLA, as good as any logo, for all these years without needing a reason for each stripe to exist and they don't need meaning now. Some things can just be because they look cool and have gained meaning over the years without randomly attributing some quotes to each element. He didn't create the stripe to match the quote. He took two unrelated things, did the math, and figured out that there's three items in each, and went "look what I did!". It's nonsense. 

"These stripes have represented UCLA since 1949 and have become such an iconic mark that it only makes sense to use across all uniform executions" would've done the job and been less "brand-y". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 7/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, Blazersfan38 said:

New Jersey patch on the back of the new Rutgers unis.

IMG_2118.PNG

Not bad, but I would have preferred an NC State knock-off. 

Back in the day, that's what we actually looked like.

I have no idea why we went away from this look.  It was pretty much perfect.......

[Edit]: sorry for bad links -- will edit later

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The quote was from the senior creative director at Under Armour, not the original thinking behind the stripes. 

The original thinking behind the stripe was likely "it's 1949, let's put some stripes on this shirt. Done." 

Sounds like one of the rants Beano Cook used to go on about:

"The boys had just come back from the Great War and Notre Dame was attempting to legalize the forward pass. When Rutgers invented the stripe it was the darndest thing any of us had seen since the Woolworth company installed a revolving door on Fifth Avenue..."

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

4 hours ago, miketd1 said:

Not bad, but I would have preferred an NC State knock-off. 

Back in the day, that's what we actually looked like.

I have no idea why we went away from this look.  It was pretty much perfect.......

[Edit]: sorry for bad links -- will edit later

Odd, it showed up for me the first time- speaking off (slightly out of this sub-forum) Does anyone know where I can get a good version of that 1980's-early 90's "N.J.-Rutgers" logo that they had on their helmets? The mothership only has a very grainy pixelated version.

***Fixing my prior post***

Here's the NC State template I wish Rutgers had used:

days_at14722-728x485.jpg

02C7G6B2774.jpg

It's just the right balance of red(scarlet), white, and black (esp. the black facemask!).  The thick white stripe outlined in black takes cues from the Block R:

3135_rutgers_scarlet_knights-alternate-2001.png

In fact, this is what we used to look like:

9915015-large.jpg

We should never have gone away from this look.  It was perfect, IMO, especially paired with the Block R...

2 hours ago, miketd1 said:

days_at14722-728x485.jpg

02C7G6B2774.jpg

It's just the right balance of red(scarlet), white, and black (esp. the black facemask!).  The thick white stripe outlined in black takes cues from the Block R:

9915015-large.jpg

We should never have gone away from this look.  It was perfect, IMO, especially paired with the Block R...

I agree. Just slap the R on that old red helmet and you are good. 

11 hours ago, miketd1 said:

days_at14722-728x485.jpg

02C7G6B2774.jpg

9915015-large.jpg

Especially in the Big Ten. Helps differentiate Rutgers from Nebraska, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. 

I STILL maintain the Big Ten should have made a Red Division and a Non Red Division. 

Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland and Minnesota (dark red) 

Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern and Purdue. 

It's oddly balanced, too, in terms of strength of division. Splits OSU, UW, NU and UM, MSU, PSU right down the middle. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The SEC could do the same thing. Makes about as much sense as having Missouri in the East and Auburn in the West.

Alabama, Arkansas, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Miss St, UGA, Ole Miss (a stretch, but they really like that red jersey)

Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mizzou

Archived