• Last Reply

Maryland is teasing a new uniform

Per the replies, it looks to be an all white uniform, numbers on helmets

jPDNpbn.jpg

Which happens to look like a road version of last year's throwbacks

Xtc9b5R.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

After a couple hours to furth digest the Notre Dame uniform, I still dislike it.

The helmet and cleats: awesome. The traditional brown cleats and finish on the lid give both a classic feel. But that's where it ends.

Gold numbers on the blue jerseys always feels wrong to me (though that white alternate a few years ago with gold numbers was great). Felt that way with some of the adidas alternates and still feels wrong with UA. The classic Notre Dame look should include white numbers trimmed in gold.

Notre Dame should also be one of those schools that's above wearing a big monogram on the chest. I know they've worn the ND logo on their sleeves off and on over the years and that's ok. But this retro monogram on the chest just clutters it up and needlessly forces the number down.

The thin gold shoulder loops and sleeve cap text feel super cheesy and something that a mid major would do.

You're Notre Dame. One of the top historical programs in all of college football. Stick to your classic navy and white jerseys with gold lids and pants. Bring out that beautiful classic green jersey once a year. If you want to do something different, the faux leather helmet and cleats here are a good starting point. Keep your half gold and blue helmet and pants in the trash. Those hideous all green jerseys were awful.

There are ways to have fun and do different designs that are meaningful. When they churn out new alternates every year just because, they become forced and lose sight of who they are.

3 hours ago, Midway said:

These ND alts are sex. By far the best they've had in a long time.

IMG_1302.JPG

I think they went too far on these. The helmet and cleats are definitely the right concept, but the jersey itself should be more of a true homage, with solid white numbers and little else. The shoulder piping and sleeve print are the least vintage thing they could have done. They could have gotten away with ND on the sleeve, but they cluttered up the front with a triangle of big logos instead. Grey facemasks and no names are their thing, so why are they abandoned on a uniform that's supposed to represent ND heritage? 

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

If the PrimeKnit is the pattern, what exactly is the ShockWeb?

PrimeKnit jerseys have the pattern we all know and hate.

Shockweb jerseys were the precursor to PrimeKnit and featured the infamous "tire tracks". They feature the PrimeKnit pattern on the shoulders, but the chest area and side panels differed, as seen here on Brett Hundley:

Hundley.jpg.20ab5611590fcbf9b7c003767d8cddcb.jpg

12 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

PrimeKnit jerseys have the pattern we all know and hate.

Shockweb jerseys were the precursor to PrimeKnit and featured the infamous "tire tracks". They feature the PrimeKnit pattern on the shoulders, but the chest area and side panels differed, as seen here on Brett Hundley:

Hundley.jpg.20ab5611590fcbf9b7c003767d8cddcb.jpg

The pattern on the ShockWeb is the same pretty much throughout the chest and shoulder region.. PrimeKnit features a different pattern altogether, which also runs from the shoulders town the chest, and even more onto the torso.. And, as mentioned previously, the actual template of the uniform is different.. ShockWeb was a front and back panel attached art to the yoke, which ran from collar to cuff, so there is essentially no sleeve whatsoever.. PrimeKnit has the addition of sleeve caps, which help it look more like an actual football jersey, albeit an ugly one..

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think they went too far on these. The helmet and cleats are definitely the right concept, but the jersey itself should be more of a true homage, with solid white numbers and little else. The shoulder piping and sleeve print are the least vintage thing they could have done. They could have gotten away with ND on the sleeve, but they cluttered up the front with a triangle of big logos instead. Grey facemasks and no names are their thing, so why are they abandoned on a uniform that's supposed to represent ND heritage? 

i would have liked that direction as well. this was an opportunity to do a really great throwback, and i can't get enough of throwbacks. BUT! the intention here isn't "throwback" its more of a "storytelling piece" that honors Rockne and some ND history within a new design, not a Texas A&M-esque "relic". and its one that probably should differ from their regulars a bit; hence the NOB . if thats a right direction to take or not, i dont know, but i like the final product still. i think overall this is the kind of design quality that we should expect from ND and as their alternates in the past have not always lived up to the brand's gravitas, this for me is a breath of fresh air. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The pattern on the ShockWeb is the same pretty much throughout the chest and shoulder region.. PrimeKnit features a different pattern altogether, which also runs from the shoulders town the chest, and even more onto the torso.. And, as mentioned previously, the actual template of the uniform is different.. ShockWeb was a front and back panel attached art to the yoke, which ran from collar to cuff, so there is essentially no sleeve whatsoever.. PrimeKnit has the addition of sleeve caps, which help it look more like an actual football jersey, albeit an ugly one..

The pattern on the shockweb jerseys IS actually the same pattern as Primeknit, it's just applied differently.

USATSI_7644471_crop_north.jpg?1388938312

31 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

The pattern on the shockweb jerseys IS actually the same pattern as Primeknit, it's just applied differently.

USATSI_7644471_crop_north.jpg?1388938312

on the shoulder yoke only, yes.. you're correct.. i overlooked that...(although it is still slightly different, i'll concede that it's essentially the same)

as for the entire chest/torso area, it's completely different.. it's the one that got the "tire tread" nickname..

so, to summarize:

ShockWeb - 2 main panel types (Torso, Yoke)

Torso - Tire Tread Pattern, basically only on the area that "broncos style" stripes would cover, only seen on the front torso panel

Yoke - "Diamond" type pattern

PrimeKnit - 3 main panel types (Torso, Yoke, Sleeve)

Torso - "Diamond" type pattern, basically covering the entire chest and number region, gradually decreasing in amount as it goes down the jersey, on both torso panels

Sleeves - "Diamond" type pattern

also worth noting:

ShockWeb Pants - no pattern

PrimeKnit Pants - "Diamond" type pattern found in the lower portion of the legs

13 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

on the shoulder yoke only, yes.. you're correct.. i overlooked that...

as for the entire chest/torso area, it's completely different.. it's the one that got the "tire tread" nickname..

so, to summarize:

ShockWeb - 2 main panel types (Torso, Yoke)

Torso - Tire Tread Pattern, basically only on the area that "broncos style" stripes would cover, only seen on the front torso panel

PrimeKnit - 3 main panel types (Torso, Yoke, Sleeve)

Torso - "Diamond" type pattern, basically covering the entire chest and number region, gradually decreasing in amount as it goes down the jersey, on both torso panels

Sleeves - "Diamond" type pattern

also worth noting:

ShockWeb Pants - no pattern

PrimeKnit Pants - "Diamond" type pattern found in the lower portion of the legs

There is also the unique jersey that Western Michigan wears .

DHcwdPlXsAA9w6T.jpg

DD-oZa8WsAI8BFG.jpg

636376987068219792-4-Darius-Phillips-3.j

western-michigan-qb-zach-terrell.jpg?w=1

As far as i know, they are the only team that is using this template. More teams need to be using it 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

They also trotted out a few weird jerseys last year:

image.jpg

The white one resembles the Under Armour template

western-michigan-broncos-defensive-back-

funny enough, the only game they wore shockweb/primeknit was in the cotton bowl uniforms (I'm sure Adidas wanted to capitalize) 

usa-today-9784111.0.jpeg

Hard to tell but it is there . 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

15 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

image.jpg

funny enough, the only game they wore shockweb/primeknit was in the cotton bowl uniforms (I'm sure Adidas wanted to capitalize) 

usa-today-9784111.0.jpeg

Hard to tell but it is there . 

yeah, those are all various templates that adidas currently offers.. the ShockWeb/Primeknit stuff is garbage.. bring back normal jerseys please..

Regarding Notre Dame, I think something that needs to be considered is it is a "tribute" uniform, not a "throwback." The helmet and cleats were meant to represent the leather articles worn in the 1930s. The jersey was meant to represent one of the greatest men in Notre Dame history. 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just think it might be an important differentiation.

I agree with the gold numbers being out of place, but solely because of the hype video used. The superimposed 1930s player over the 2017 uniforms was very forced. It worked with the cleats and helmets, naturally, but seeing white numbers ghosted then the gold peaking through was enough to annoy me.

I like the uniforms overall. It's not without it's issues, though.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

11 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

Regarding Notre Dame, I think something that needs to be considered is it is a "tribute" uniform, not a "throwback." The helmet and cleats were meant to represent the leather articles worn in the 1930s. The jersey was meant to represent one of the greatest men in Notre Dame history. 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just think it might be an important differentiation.

I agree with the gold numbers being out of place, but solely because of the hype video used. The superimposed 1930s player over the 2017 uniforms was very forced. It worked with the cleats and helmets, naturally, but seeing white numbers ghosted then the gold peaking through was enough to annoy me.

I like the uniforms overall. It's not without it's issues, though.

I think that’s a good way to put it. I get that it’s supposed to be a tribute as opposed to a true throwback, sorta like the college football version of a Winter Classic jersey or something, but the way they presented it in the video, while very cool, gave the impression that the player lacing up the uniform that Knute wore.

With that said, I still think the uniform itself would have been more successful, even as a tribute, if it was more vintage looking. The modern touches are an odd way to tell this story, at least to me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

14 hours ago, djam2410 said:

image.jpg

The white jersey uses Adidas' new TechFit Flex Stripe template. The grey jersey appears to use the old Climacool miCheckdown template, which Adidas no longer offers. Regardless, both are better than the super-stretchy material that Adidas forces on their marquee programs.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived