College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Is this what the actual throwback looked like?  Or is this an UnderArmor amalgamation?

27 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Here's the inspiration behind Maryland's new throwback uniform:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

29 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

10 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Is this what the actual throwback looked like?  Or is this an UnderArmor amalgamation?

It looks like the front numbers should be smaller, pants stripes a little thinner and stripes added to the sleeves.

Overall I don't think it's bad, just a bit boring. I feel like they just really wanted a bright yellow uniform and used this to justify it.

16 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I feel like they just really wanted a bright yellow uniform and used this to justify it.

That has to be it.  Black and gold was what they used 70 years ago.  Sadly, the main "excitement" the Terps generate is the different uniform gimmick that UA supplies to them.  As a side note, it's interesting how NCAA teams like MD will wear several different helmets per year whereas in the NFL the base helmet must be the same, just a decal change is allowed.

DHwvriVW0AEqFhr.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill81361 said:

As a Terp alum, I hate this.  Black & Gold is Steelers, Red & White is Terps.
18880040_1628707307139890_66895292687423

I'd never really thought about that.  However, since Maryland regularly wore black and gold until the 1940s, I don't have any problem with this.

Remember, Maryland is Red, White, Black and Gold, like the flag . . . not just Red and White.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

There are few discrepancies, as someone noted above.  However, this version stays fairly true to the original.

Also, Black and Gold in that combo of helmet, jerseys and pants, isn't Steelers . . . it's Ampipe Bulldogs.  :P

poi_gallery_image-image-67d9b3d6-d37c-45

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

For those wondering about the Maryland color change . . . 

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210057293

The four official colors of the University of Maryland are drawn from the striking and distinctive Maryland state flag. The red, white, black, and gold represent the shield in the coat of arms of George Calvert, first Lord Baltimore and original colonial proprietor of Maryland. The shield features alternating quadrants of yellow and black colors from his paternal family, the Calverts, together with the red and white colors of his maternal family, the Crosslands. The Maryland General Assembly adopted a banner of this design as the state flag in 1904.

The University of Maryland did not always have four official colors, however. Early athletic uniforms were simply gray or maroon and gray, and it was commonplace for each graduating class to select its individual colors.

The transition to black and gold occurred in the early 1920s and these two hues dominated until 1942, when then football coach Clark Shaughnessy switched the team uniforms to red and white. Black and gold remained in the mix as accents and occasionally returned as the predominant colors, as in the case of the men's basketball uniforms of the mid 1980s. Today, all four colors are proudly featured in Terps' athletic uniforms.

https://umdarchives.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/red-and-white-a-new-maryland-tradition/

Terps fans who believe today’s uniforms represent tradition should know that the early years saw the team clothed in a variety of colors, from gray and maroon to black and gold.  When Harry C. “Curley” Byrd hired Clark Shaughnessy to coach the 1942 football season, Shaughnessy superstitiously insisted on changing the uniforms to the red and white team colors he had used at Stanford and the University of Chicago.  On September 27, 1942, Maryland opened its season versus the University of Connecticut sporting the new colors, and rolled to 34-0 victory.

When Shaughnessy left after the 1942 season, the team again donned black and gold uniforms, as had been the tradition up to that time.  They returned to red and white in 1946, when Shaughnessy returned for a second stint as head coach.

When University President Byrd hired the now-legendary Jim Tatum in 1947, Tatum kept the red/white color scheme, because it reminded him of his coaching roots at Oklahoma.  It was reported that when Shaughnessy was told late in his life that Maryland was still sporting the red and white, he was astonished.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Surprised that North Texas was able to get a feather pattern that looks unique to them since lower-rung Nike schools rarely get school-specific things.  Really like their look.

Also, looks like Oregon will be making some type of announcement of Thursday.  It appears to be some type of cancer-fundraising thing but it could also be a new uniform.

22 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Surprised that North Texas was able to get a feather pattern that looks unique to them since lower-rung Nike schools rarely get school-specific things.  Really like their look.

Also, looks like Oregon will be making some type of announcement of Thursday.  It appears to be some type of cancer-fundraising thing but it could also be a new uniform.

The feather pattern on North Texas' new uniforms is just one of Nike's catalog options, along with other patterns such as tiger stripes, checkerboard, diamondplate, etc.

And regarding the Oregon twitter post, it seems to be something uniform-related, and that same graphic is being used on Instagram and for their special eclipse-related ticket deal that's being offering today. The hashtag does seem to suggest that it'll be some sort of cancer initiative though, so we'll just have to wait and see what it is exactly.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Been a while since I looked at Nike's uniform catalog so didn't know they've added patterns to it in the last couple years.

As for Oregon,  I bet it's likely going to be a cancer-initiative that'll have them wearing some type of patch or helmet sticker.  I don't expect a specific one-off since Taggart has said he'd be reigning in the use of those.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

For those wondering about the Maryland color change . . . 

When University President Byrd hired the now-legendary Jim Tatum in 1947, Tatum kept the red/white color scheme, because it reminded him of his coaching roots at Oklahoma.  It was reported that when Shaughnessy was told late in his life that Maryland was still sporting the red and white, he was astonished.

Like I said before, 70 years in Red & White :P  Even when the helmets were white with black & gold decals, the jerseys were.....Red & White
Randy-White.jpg

I was a kid in the Randy White era.  I always thought the helmet M was just a sort of faded red.  There are other prints of that shot that back me up.

1170-t885510-340.jpg

I agree that Maryland is most associated with red and white.  However, I have no problem with a black and gold throwback since there is actually history behind it and the team has tended to use the black and gold in some capacity most of the time.  The basketball team even wore a black, gold and white uniform a few times in the '80s (albeit with red and white shoes).

university-of-maryland-adrian-branch-dri

I hope Maryland does a throwback to the Esiason-era unis sometime soon.  The red "Terps" helmets with the black (and also red) jerseys and the three-color stripes were pretty cool.  

And even though the football team was pretty bad, the Terps' 1992-ish unis that Plank wore were pretty cool too (black helmet, big red M).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9y

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I hope Maryland does a throwback to the Esiason-era unis sometime soon.  The red "Terps" helmets with the black jerseys and the three-color stripes were pretty cool.  

And even though the football team was pretty bad, the Terps' 1992-ish unis that Plank wore were pretty cool too (black helmet, big red M).

Black jerseys?  Unless I'm forgetting something . . . 

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

9y

Black jerseys?  Unless I'm forgetting something . . . 

Yeah I guess Esiason wore red (I updated my post after searching pictures, lol), but black jerseys were worn in the late 80s.  I think I like the red jerseys better though after looking at them again...

neil_o_donnell_1988_09_01.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I remembered the black from later in the 80s.  I didn't think Boomer wore them.

I also like the red better.

Notre Dame were the same template during the Gerry Faust era.

moment003_3.jpgtumblr_m28sd0p0qC1r3ee04o1_500.jpg

Archived