College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

Gold "M"
helmets.png

I know it was gold, as was the center helmet stripe.  5-14 year old me didn't really make the black and gold connection because Maryland was so predominantly red and white at the time.  As a result, I never looked closely enough to realize that it wasn't a faded red.

In my defense, TVs were a lot smaller then and newspapers were in black and white.  Also, as Exhibit A, I offer the Randy White picture that I posted above, which makes it look much more like a faded red.

12 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

In 1971 they partnered with M&Ms

Also 1969, when the mascot was apparently the red M&M.

9c65a92632246a35c6a116e19a572a91.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 8/21/2017 at 10:44 AM, upperV03 said:

New uniforms for North Texas:

IMG_6914.thumb.JPG.baee5a8597383a96ef7060b85470632d.JPGIMG_6915.thumb.JPG.84fc4c710d3e621650272ab846101f5e.JPGIMG_6916.thumb.JPG.1727dfea091dd17596c50c45846a7b78.JPG

I know this is essentially just a template set, but damn I love NT's new uniforms, it's quite a step up and honestly it's better than some of the Power 5 Nike uniforms, and I can honestly say that for once I enjoy a BFBS set, so props to NT for doing it right in a sea of bad generic and bad custom uniforms.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Russell is getting out of the college uniform business.  

That statement presumes that they're still in the college uniform business. Is a company really "in the business" if they haven't put forth the slightest effort to make or market a decent uniform in years?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

That statement presumes that they're still in the college uniform business. Is a company really "in the business" if they haven't put forth the slightest effort to make or market a decent uniform in years?

A "decent" uniform is pretty subjective.  If they are making and selling uniforms to colleges (or sponsoring them), then yes, they are in the business.  Do they have the budget of the big three?  Nope. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, chrome14 said:

Who's left for Russell Athletic in terms of FBS schools? Georgia Tech for one more year and then Southern Miss? Is that it?

I believe so. Everybody else was with Russell that I can think of has moved on (Ohio, GT, and ULL to Adidas and WKU to Nike). And according to an article from the Hattiesburg American, "Russell Athletics will officially be out of the NCAA apparel business by this time next year." Southern Miss has been on the bad side of uniforms for most, if not all, of their run with Russell. So I'm pretty interested in seeing what their next set will be. 

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/blitz/2017/07/01/usm-soon-search-new-athletic-apparel-provider/445910001/

45 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I believe so. Everybody else was with Russell that I can think of has moved on (Ohio, GT, and ULL to Adidas and WKU to Nike). And according to an article from the Hattiesburg American, "Russell Athletics will officially be out of the NCAA apparel business by this time next year." Southern Miss has been on the bad side of uniforms for most, if not all, of their run with Russell. So I'm pretty interested in seeing what their next set will be. 

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/blitz/2017/07/01/usm-soon-search-new-athletic-apparel-provider/445910001/

Out of curiosity, does this mean that there will be no more teams in FBS with a provider other than the big 3 of Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour?

22 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

Gold "M"
helmets.png

The following was told to me years ago by a Maryland football alum who left the program in the late nineties, so I don't know just how true this may have been... Allegedly Maryland's original uniform plans for the 2001 season were to switch to red helmets with black facemasks and white "M banner decals" (see the 97-2000 helmet and use your imagination). Those were going to be worn with the same red and white uniforms Maryland actually wore in 2001. Apparently Ralph Friedgen nixed that once he was hired as head coach and demanded the white script Terps helmets.

Has anybody else heard that rumor? Or do I now have a reason to distrust a long time family friend?

Gotta be honest, in my mind that would have actually looked better with the 2001 set than the white helmets did (which was a good look BTW). 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

16 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The following was told to me years ago by a Maryland football alum who left the program in the late nineties, so I don't know just how true this may have been... Allegedly Maryland's original uniform plans for the 2001 season were to switch to red helmets with black facemasks and white "M banner decals" (see the 97-2000 helmet and use your imagination). Those were going to be worn with the same red and white uniforms Maryland actually wore in 2001. Apparently Ralph Friedgen nixed that once he was hired as head coach and demanded the white script Terps helmets.

Has anybody else heard that rumor? Or do I now have a reason to distrust a long time family friend?

Gotta be honest, in my mind that would have actually looked better with the 2001 set than the white helmets did (which was a good look BTW). 

I wouldn't doubt it.  Basically what Fridge went with was the Bobby Ross/ Boomer Esiason era helmets and flipping the red and white colors.

Looks like the announcement that Oregon plans to make on Thursday is that they're going to be wearing special uniforms for their Sept. 9th game against Nebraska that were designed by pediatric cancer patients at OHSU Dornbecher Children's Hospital.  This is being done because September is childhood cancer awareness month.  Nike has partnered with the hospital before to release limited-edition shoes and clothes designed by patients that were then sold to raise money for OHSU's various research and care centers.

http://scout.com/college/oregon/Article/Game-uniforms-to-honor-childhood-cancer-awareness-month-in-Septe-106397074

15 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Looks like the announcement that Oregon plans to make on Thursday is that they're going to be wearing special uniforms for their Sept. 9th game against Nebraska that were designed by pediatric cancer patients at OHSU Dornbecher Children's Hospital.  This is being done because September is childhood cancer awareness month.  Nike has partnered with the hospital before to release limited-edition shoes and clothes designed by patients that were then sold to raise money for OHSU's various research and care centers.

http://scout.com/college/oregon/Article/Game-uniforms-to-honor-childhood-cancer-awareness-month-in-Septe-106397074

The article says the uniform is "inspired by the pediatric cancer patients of OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital", so it's hard to say what impact the patients actually had in designing it, even though Nike has had patients design various shoes and apparel for several years now. Regardless, it's still a nice gesture, especially with all of the proceeds from the retail and fan gear going directly towards funding cancer research and treatment at OHSU Doernbecher. I'm excited to see what it looks like, and it'd be really cool if the kids did actually have a part in designing it.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The article says the uniform is "inspired by the pediatric cancer patients of OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital”, so it's hard to say what impact the patients actually had in designing it, even though Nike has had patients design various shoes and apparel for several years now. Regardless, it's still a nice gesture, especially with all of the proceeds from the retail and fan gear going directly towards funding cancer research and treatment at OHSU Doernbecher. I'm excited to see what it looks like, and it'd be really cool if the kids did actually have a part in designing it.

While not wholly designed by patients like on their previous collaborations, I wouldn't be surprised if OHSU did some type of panel with a few patients and used some of their suggestions on a few elements.

18 minutes ago, Ciaranowls said:

Sooooo just made north Texas's new unis in the Nike uniform builder. Minus custom font, the design is very templated and the feather pattern is not unique

Yeah, I mentioned yesterday that the feather pattern is one of Nike's catalog options, and not a bespoke design for UNT. And like you mentioned, the uniforms as a whole are just from Nike's uniform builder, but it's still a pretty nice look for them nonetheless.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, Webfooter said:

Damn, after last year's UW game, i was hoping we'd dress up like Wisconsin just for kicks. Then maybe go as Notre Dame against USC. Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

Archived