College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Unpopular opinion, I really don't like those uniforms, the helmet is really dated and the plain green numbers with the rainbow everything else looks bad. The 2005 (?) - 2008 (?) unis were perfect. I would be ok if they went back to being rainbow warriors, but not with those uniforms.

usatsi_8797127.jpg?w=1000&h=698

I think improvements would be taking away the shoulder stripes and just using numbers, putting the regular Hawaii logo on the helmet, and maybe using a rainbow helmet stripe. I have a feeling that would look a bit less ridiculous, at the very least it wouldn't use that awful logo.

I think they look great. I just bought a vintage Hawaii Rainbow Warriors t-shirt w/ that logo. Looks awesome. I say they should use the helmet stripe in green on that helmet and I think it would fit the dated problem, or use the 4 rainbow stripes as the helmet stripe.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Virginia Tech will be wearing these helmets for their home opener on Saturday:

All they need to do is subtly put it in the logo and call it a day. This helmet would look great if it was an orange VT with a maroon outline and kept the same pattern.

20 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Unpopular opinion, I really don't like those uniforms, the helmet is really dated and the plain green numbers with the rainbow everything else looks bad. The 2005 (?) - 2008 (?) unis were perfect. I would be ok if they went back to being rainbow warriors, but not with those uniforms.

I think improvements would be taking away the shoulder stripes and just using numbers, putting the regular Hawaii logo on the helmet, and maybe using a rainbow helmet stripe. I have a feeling that would look a bit less ridiculous, at the very least it wouldn't use that awful logo.

Yeah, I'd agree about the helmet, actually.  The rainbow is handled in a completely different (and much less effective) way, and the UH is dull. If this uniform were used as a basis for a new primary, instead of a relatively faithful throwback, the helmet logo could be redesigned to fit better with the rest of the uniform. As for the numbers, personally, I've recently become a bit of a fan of selectively used single layer numbers.  This is a perfect example.  When you have that many equal secondary colors, how would you choose one for an outline?  That bright green number is awesome IMO.

Plus I just found it annoying that this extremely unique and recognizable, one of a kind uniform got replaced by another dark colored monochrome copycat.  The tribal designs made it a bit more interesting than a lot of looks from the same timeframe, but not worth what they were giving up.  And to make the whole thing more distasteful, there were some subtle (and some not so subtle) homophobic undertones to the initial dropping of the Rainbows name and look. To me, that was far more "ridiculous" than this clever and fun uniform.

More examples;

hawaii-1959-uniforms.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGJ00qeV9wjCq-Y3Uz738

front.jpg

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I'd agree about the helmet, actually.  The rainbow is handled in a completely different (and much less effective) way, and the UH is dull. If this uniform were used as a basis for a new primary, instead of a relatively faithful throwback, the helmet logo could be redesigned to fit better with the rest of the uniform. As for the numbers, personally, I've recently become a bit of a fan of selectively used single layer numbers.  This is a perfect example.  When you have that many equal secondary colors, how would you choose one for an outline?  That bright green number is awesome IMO.

Plus I just found it annoying that this extremely unique and recognizable, one of a kind uniform got replaced by another dark colored monochrome copycat.  The tribal designs made it a bit more interesting than a lot of looks from the same timeframe, but not worth what they were giving up.  And to make the whole thing more distasteful, there were some subtle (and some not so subtle) homophobic undertones to the initial dropping of the Rainbows name and look. To me, that was far more "ridiculous" than this clever and fun uniform.

More examples;

hawaii-1959-uniforms.jpg

front.jpg

I generally agree with you, however I don't think my gripe is necessarily with the concept rather than the execution. As a one off, I'm happy with it, but there is no way that would be ok to have as a full time uni, it just looks way too goofy and dated. I think some variation of the first uniform could be used today, but the other just have way too much 80s and 90s in them to work now. Also notice how both of those only have one instance of rainbow stripe, not two, which is one of the reasons the throwbacks look so goofy to me. Too much rainbow.

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

front.jpg

The late 80s/early-to-mid 90s is my favorite Hawaii uniform, too.  And unpopular opinion, maybe, but that rainbow-UH logo was cool, though probably could look better with a slight update.

Interesting to see the different styles of unis on that bottom picture...Mitchell has a plain green jersey...his teammate behind him has four-color stripes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here's the special Doernbecher Alpha Menace Elite cleats that some of the Oregon players will wear in the game against Nebraska on Saturday:

IMG_7117.thumb.PNG.d4cfa4504d10e0a30d28f949a2f8fdcd.PNGIMG_7118.thumb.PNG.e07bf522e07abc0b752e6c783ebb7074.PNGIMG_7119.thumb.PNG.4552ca80f4e27a66fe18810f8c1d0a4f.PNGIMG_7120.thumb.PNG.cba485bc5936adb12b2679f0451f3689.PNG

Are they promoting alternative medicine too?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, djam2410 said:

Joe Roth throwbacks for Cal vs USC on 9/23 . These look AWESOME.

DJDlxmuUQAAjsSm.jpg

The previous Nike version was worn in the rain so didn't look as good as it should have

1976291092_a9ff1a2121.jpg

Why are the sleeve stripes on the Under Armour throwbacks at an upward angle?

WSU going all-crimson on Saturday against Boise State:

IMG_7125.thumb.JPG.57c0fdd2f68303540790b3b7bd658f85.JPG

This combo illustrates one of the major problems with their new set, the fact that all of the crimson (and white, actually) uniform elements don't have even the slightest hint of gray on them. Their school colors are crimson and gray, yet combos such as this one make it seem like they're a crimson and white school. Their last set had a much better distribution of colors between all of the different uniform elements.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived