College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon’s combo for today looks really sharp in this short hype video:

The chrome helmet looks much better with the jerseys and pants when there isn’t manipulated dark lighting that makes the helmet look darker than it really is. And like we saw in the Nebraska game, the wings on the helmets are pretty subtle and hardly noticeable in more normal lighting conditions, so the disconnect between the wings on the helmets and stripes on the sleeves isn’t as big a deal as I initially feared. I actually think this combo looks really good overall, and I think it’ll look even better on the field under the lights. One other little detail about this combo is that the silver swooshes on the jersey and pants really help tie in the chrome helmets with the rest of the uniform, and the same can be said for the green ‘O’ decals on the helmets as well. I’m a big fan of them using the silver swoosh on all of their uniform pieces, and I hope they keep doing it moving forward. Not only does it help tie in the chrome helmet when they decide to use it, but it creates some more consistency between all of the different uniform elements when they mix and match. That’s obviously a pretty small detail, but one that I’ve been really happy with so far this season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Have you not seen Maryland's entire uniform set?

Which one? They had a number of different sets. Some beautiful and some just plain grotesque. But other than Maryland, the intrigue still remains for other colleges and universities as to how they would design a state pride uniform.

1 hour ago, Clintau24 said:

Cal looks spectacular. Not a fan of the yellow mask as it's 1) not period correct, and 2) too much yellow up top. Correct grey mask - or even a navy mask - would look amazing.

This is a top-5 uni matchup of the day.  Great football, great aesthetics, especially in the sunlight.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I feel like this happened when they first debuted the chrome. They looked black in all of the promo shots but were a lot closer to silver on the field.

That's always an issue with chrome helmets and dark background promo shots.  Some people were overreacting and thinking they got new black chrome helmets when they were exact same silver chrome they used before.

The Ducks look pretty good tonight. From a distance, they almost look like they’re in all-white, and up close the chrome wings really don’t look too bad with the jerseys and pants. Their standard green or white helmets would look better with this jersey/pants combo, but it’s still a pretty solid look as is.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

50 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Oregon has posted a shot of the uniforms on the field and the chrome helmets certainly look better in an in-stadium setting.

DKc6AENUMAEduoD.jpg

The chrome dome looks so out of place with the all-white.  And here I was thinking that the winged helmet was mothballed...

Also, I didn't realize Puddles is on the pants.

...come to think of it, where's the "Oregon" or "Ducks" or "Mighty Oregon" or whatever down the pants?

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Gotta admit, I've liked the inclusion of Colorado's gray uniforms more than I thought I would. The gray-black-gray combo they're right now against Washington looks pretty sweet. Have they ever gone gray-white-gray or gray-white-white?

With that said, I'm not wild about their black or white helmets. Personally I wouldn't mind with they scrapped them and just went with gold and gray helmets for the foreseeable future.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

12 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

This would be pretty good...for U of C.  Colorado State wearing it messes with me.

Why is it better for CU? Both are state schools, roughly the same size, and neither use these colors. Just because CU has greater national presence doesn’t give it a monopoly on state-themed imagery.

7 hours ago, djam2410 said:

The yellow mask is definitely part of the uniform

JoeRothvertical.jpg

Problem is, this was billed as a 1975 throwback to commemorate the conference championship they won that year. They didn’t wear the yellow mask until 1976.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Problem is, this was billed as a 1975 throwback to commemorate the conference championship they won that year. They didn’t wear the yellow mask until 197

Nah, these are the Joe Roth throwbacks to honor Joe Roth, who beat USC that year then died of cancer in the off season. He is still the only retired Cal number, and they wear something like these every time they play USC or UCLA (only once a year though). At least that's what they said on the broadcast when they took a brief break from giving Sam Darnold a handy.

10 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Nah, these are the Joe Roth throwbacks to honor Joe Roth, who beat USC that year then died of cancer in the off season. He is still the only retired Cal number, and they wear something like these every time they play USC or UCLA (only once a year though). At least that's what they said on the broadcast when they took a brief break from giving Sam Darnold a handy.

Cal did not really do a good job explaining as even the tele-announcers thought we wore these jerseys every year. This is the first time they've been worn since 2007 and moving forward, they will be worn vs USC or UCLA in alternating years (UCLA in even years, USC in odd to make it easier) ;

In 1975, the helmets had a gray mask with Joe Roth starting which is why many photos show him with a gray mask instead of yellow

103015_joeroth_BODY1.jpg

For the 1976 season (which is the season that these throwbacks are supposed to signify ) the helmet changed to the yellow mask color. During this season, Joe Roth hid his cancer diagnosis until the end of the season while his play and the team's record trailed off then passed 3 months after the season. You won't see as many photos from Roth from this year as the team was not as good as the year before

Joe-Smiling-in-Helmet.jpg?resize=338,300

That is the short and sweet of the story so the throwbacks are supposed to signify his last season with the Bears as well as a tribute to the championship season the year before as well as replicate what his locker last looked like . Personally, I like the yellow mask better than gray 

920x920.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

13 minutes ago, csura999 said:

Is this a new change for the Gators? Their orange pants last night against Kentucky had a blue-orange-white-orange-blue pattern.

gators.png

Yep, that’s new this season. They inexplicably decided to match the orange pants to the orange jerseys instead of just making the stripes on the orange jerseys match all of the other uniform elements. Incredibly stupid move by the Gators.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

50 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

44 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

Cal did not really do a good job explaining as even the tele-announcers thought we wore these jerseys every year. This is the first time they've been worn since 2007 and moving forward, they will be worn vs USC or UCLA in alternating years (UCLA in even years, USC in odd to make it easier) ;

In 1975, the helmets had a gray mask with Joe Roth starting which is why many photos show him with a gray mask instead of yellow

103015_joeroth_BODY1.jpg

For the 1976 season (which is the season that these throwbacks are supposed to signify ) the helmet changed to the yellow mask color. During this season, Joe Roth hid his cancer diagnosis until the end of the season while his play and the team's record trailed off then passed 3 months after the season. You won't see as many photos from Roth from this year as the team was not as good as the year before

Joe-Smiling-in-Helmet.jpg?resize=338,300

That is the short and sweet of the story so the throwbacks are supposed to signify his last season with the Bears as well as a tribute to the championship season the year before as well as replicate what his locker last looked like . Personally, I like the yellow mask better than gray 

920x920.jpg

I’m aware of this (mis)information, but, Regardless of what you *want* them to represent, the fact is they were unveiled as 1975 throwbacks to honor both Joe Roth *and* that successful Pac-8 championship season, meaning they should have a grey mask.

http://scout.com/college/california/Article/Cal-football-will-wear-1975-Joe-Roth-throwback-uniforms-against--107001480

“The uniforms—replicas of those worn by quarterback Joe Roth during the Bears’ Pac-8 co-championship season of 1975—will be worn on Sat., Sept. 23, in Cal’s third home game of the season, against USC. The uniforms will be worn every season against whichever Los Angeles team—USC or UCLA—plays at Memorial Stadium for the annual Joe Roth Memorial Game.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived