College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

45 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m aware of this (mis)information, but, Regardless of what you *want* them to represent, the fact is they were unveiled as 1975 throwbacks to honor both Joe Roth *and* that successful Pac-8 championship season, meaning they should have a grey mask.

http://scout.com/college/california/Article/Cal-football-will-wear-1975-Joe-Roth-throwback-uniforms-against--107001480

“The uniforms—replicas of those worn by quarterback Joe Roth during the Bears’ Pac-8 co-championship season of 1975—will be worn on Sat., Sept. 23, in Cal’s third home game of the season, against USC. The uniforms will be worn every season against whichever Los Angeles team—USC or UCLA—plays at Memorial Stadium for the annual Joe Roth Memorial Game.”

Like I stated before, the jerseys are in fact for the 1975 season. The helmet, however, is intended to mimic Joe Roth's last game in Berkeley with the yellow mask and is why the 2007 & 2017 version have the yellow mask.

I see it as misinformation put forward by their marketing team and am trying to explain why the helmet mask is yellow and not gray ; As I said before they did not do a good job explaining the details and believe my explanation should hopefully clear that up.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/23/2017 at 12:52 PM, Clintau24 said:

Cal looks spectacular. Not a fan of the yellow mask as it's 1) not period correct, and 2) too much yellow up top. Correct grey mask - or even a navy mask - would look amazing.

These look fantastic. Way to go UA!

4ffh6gt.png

13 hours ago, djam2410 said:

Like I stated before, the jerseys are in fact for the 1975 season. The helmet, however, is intended to mimic Joe Roth's last game in Berkeley with the yellow mask and is why the 2007 & 2017 version have the yellow mask.

I see it as misinformation put forward by their marketing team and am trying to explain why the helmet mask is yellow and not gray ; As I said before they did not do a good job explaining the details and believe my explanation should hopefully clear that up.

Thanks for the info....btw, a yellow facemask looked great! Gray would've messed up the entire look. 

spacer.png

17 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Yep, that’s new this season. They inexplicably decided to match the orange pants to the orange jerseys instead of just making the stripes on the orange jerseys match all of the other uniform elements. Incredibly stupid move by the Gators.

The Gators just keep chipping away at their uniform set worse, huh?

8 hours ago, csura999 said:

The Gators just keep chipping away at their uniform set worse, huh?

It makes me so ticked off as a current student here. I rant incessantly about this every time it comes up, but if they would just:

~make the orange jersey and pants have the same stripe as the helmet

~make the white helmet have the same stripe as the white jersey and pants, with  the blue F on both sides (maybe a blue facemask)

~change the font back to the regular block font

...then they would have one of the premier uniform sets in the country and look good no matter how they mixed and matched them (while staying true to their classic orange-blue-white against high-profile opponents, of course).

UCLA's number 5 really bugs me, since it's a mirror of the 2. The serif at the top looks wrong. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

19 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

UCLA's number 5 really bugs me, since it's a mirror of the 2. The serif at the top looks wrong. 

Not quite a mirror, but close.  The upper-left side of the 5 isn't angled like it is on upper-right side of the 2

0903_spo_ldn-l-ucla-a_m-kb22_24441685_73

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived