College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

The Ducks are reprising last season’s black/yellow/black combination for tomorrow’s game against Utah:

It’s a bit dissapointing to not see them unveil some new black jerseys, especially since they haven’t gone all-black since 2015 (they went all-anthracite with black helmets last season), but the bumblebee look is always a solid one for them. And rather than wearing yellow and black cleats like they did last season with this combo, they’ll be wearing the white and yellow Doernbecher cleats this time around. They didn’t restock on yellow and black cleats for this season, so that’s not surprising.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, the reason they were on the throwbacks is because they were on the originals;

college-football-ohio-state-qb-rex-kern-

coll-football-ohio-state-qb-rex-kern-in-

UM-OSU-1969.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuEgl7piC1l24MQ5z_y_Qcollege-football-rear-view-of-ohio-state

But if you're asking why they were black on the original, that's a damn good question, one I've wondered about for years.  My theory (just a guess) is that they were added as an afterthought.  Here is the '67 team shot...

72171_h.jpg?itok=htodnAYI

It's hard to tell but it seems like in '67 they have the classic modified NW stripe, but no TV numbers.  And in '68, when the numbers were added, they actually were placed partially on the stripes like in the above images. Maybe the thought was that a white number would get lost in the stripes so they went with black.  The next year they moved up to the shoulder but stayed black.  And by '70 they went to white at home, scarlet on the road.

My question is why those throwback whites didn't have black TV numbers. I was disappointed in that decision.  You say you don't hate it?  Let me go further... I love it! If it were up to me, black TV numbers would become a permanent feature on tOSU's uniforms. Like the Dodgers' red front numbers, and the NY Giants' road jersey's lack of blue, it's one of those "lost to history" quirks that make me love a design even more. 

I believe the white revival versions don't have the black TV numbers, they were scarlet, if I recall correctly. 

I like how those old Ohio State jerseys' numbers overlap the sleeve stripes like a glitched jersey in a video game.

Also, last night was perhaps the best that Oregon State has looked uniform-wise since the current redesign.  

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Ducks are reprising last season’s black/yellow/black combination for tomorrow’s game against Utah:

It’s a bit dissapointing to not see them unveil some new black jerseys, especially since they haven’t gone all-black since 2015 (they went all-anthracite with black helmets last season), but the bumblebee look is always a solid one for them. And rather than wearing yellow and black cleats like they did last season with this combo, they’ll be wearing the white and yellow Doernbecher cleats this time around. They didn’t restock on yellow and black cleats for this season, so that’s not surprising.

I'm honestly very ok with never going all black ever again. I think we pull it off fine but if you're going to have one blackout a year (which I think we absolutely should), I'd rather have it combined prominently with a school color than almost devoid of one. Plus I think these just look better, although I wish we had a separate yellow jersey that didn't have any black in it.

23 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

You must have seen them somehow since you quoted my post that only has a picture of the uniforms.

I have not seen them, but I knew that's what they were wearing. I posted that a few days ago. I have friends on the team & they tell me what they're wearing before it's even announced, so that's why I come in here & post it days in advance for the Arizona fans in here and for anyone else who might care, since it is a college football uniform thread. All I see in your post is this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNKFXD0VAAAieXw.jpg which is not a clickable link on my end. When I copy & paste that in the web address bar, it comes up as blocked.

I'll break it down like this:

I work in a prison. A lot of things are blocked on our computers due to security risks/reasons. About the only thing I can look at on my computer is news & sports. On arizonawildcats.com, they had a sidebar where the uniforms were posted on Twitter, and all images that are posted from social media are blocked, unless they're copied & pasted to somewhere else, a site like this one. Every week I've asked someone to post them for me for this reason, & someone always posts it up when I do ask. I don't know how else I can put it, it's pretty plain & simple. So I'll ask again, if someone can be nice enough, please copy & paste the pic of them so I can check it out. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, kabbey520 said:

I have not seen them, but I knew that's what they were wearing. I posted that a few days ago. I have friends on the team & they tell me what they're wearing before it's even announced, so that's why I come in here & post it days in advance for the Arizona fans in here and for anyone else who might care, since it is a college football uniform thread.

I'll break it down like this:

I work in a prison. A lot of things are blocked on our computers due to security risks/reasons. About the only thing I can look at on my computer is news & sports. On arizonawildcats.com, they had a sidebar where the uniforms were posted on Twitter, and all images that are posted from social media are blocked, unless they're copied & pasted to somewhere else, a site like this one. Every week I've asked someone to post them for me for this reason, & someone always posts it up when I do ask. I don't know how else I can put it, it's pretty plain & simple. So I'll ask again, if someone can be nice enough, please copy & paste the pic of them so I can check it out. Thank you.

@Webfooter posted the image above. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived