College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

5 hours ago, ColeJ said:

That "gold" UAB uses is a very ugly and bland color that in no way resembles the color or the metal known as gold.

Green and faded kakhi is a better description of team colors.

Sadly that's what most teams think of when they think of gold.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is their no way possible to get lightweight football pants from a durable shiny fabric? I miss seeing true silver and gold pants of the mid/late 90 and early 2000s. 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

aren't those a hybrid where the striping is the modern mesh insert and the pant material is the old nylon/spandex?

This is the correct answer. They are the old school style. Supposedly heavier and thicker. They do not have the same cut as the current Nike styles. The Cowboys are basically using updated Nike jerseys with the old Reebok era style pants. I believe the same applies with the Raiders (and the Bucs before they updated early in the Nike takeover). Neither club has the lightweight performance pants. If you want Nike's newest stuff you have to settle for matte because you can't get the high end pants in a metallic right now.

dakprescott2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&ss

If you read the initial question, he never mentioned "new", which is why it's still possible (although I'm certain the Cowboys aren't wearing decade-old pants.. They are, in fact, "new" each season).. The truth is that there's no real performance benefit to the newer pants, and the dazzle fabric is just less trendy at the moment.. 

And the fact that these pants are produced every year means it is very possible to still get them.

5 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

If you read the initial question, he never mentioned "new", which is why it's still possible (although I'm certain the Cowboys aren't wearing decade-old pants.. They are, in fact, "new" each season).. The truth is that there's no real performance benefit to the newer pants, and the dazzle fabric is just less trendy at the moment.. 

And the fact that these pants are produced every year means it is very possible to still get them.

Yes, I read the question, and yes, these pants are obviously still available. However, the fact still remains that they are clearly not Nike's best product and are an outdated material. Similar to how the Packers and Panthers (as well as up until very recently the Falcons, Eagles, and Raiders) wear the exact same style uniforms they wore during the Reebok era. At no point did I suggest that they were still handing out 10 year old pants. But they are basically old style construction with a Nike swoosh slapped on, which I believe is manufactured by Ripon. Essentially the same cut of uniform regardless of who the manufacturer is and it's up to Ripon to stitch on either the Reebok logo or the swoosh. While I haven't seen the pants in person to compare, I have seen photos up close and the old nylon versus the current materials does look drastically different (not to mention I have heard players discuss how much nicer and lighter the uniforms have become). I played enough sports over the years to know that materials can make a difference. 

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Yes, I read the question, and yes, these pants are obviously still available. However, the fact still remains that they are clearly not Nike's best product and are an outdated material. Similar to how the Packers and Panthers (as well as up until very recently the Falcons, Eagles, and Raiders) wear the exact same style uniforms they wore during the Reebok era. At no point did I suggest that they were still handing out 10 year old pants. But they are basically old style construction with a Nike swoosh slapped on, which I believe is manufactured by Ripon. Essentially the same cut of uniform regardless of who the manufacturer is and it's up to Ripon to stitch on either the Reebok logo or the swoosh. While I haven't seen the pants in person to compare, I have seen photos up close and the old nylon versus the current materials does look drastically different (not to mention I have heard players discuss how much nicer and lighter the uniforms have become). I played enough sports over the years to know that materials can make a difference. 

I have heard the same thing that the new pants wick away much more moisture than the dazzle nylon/spandex. That is obviously a big difference. I also believe that there is a comfort benefit with features like the lighter mesh wrapping around to the back of the knee. While the packers definitely have stayed away from nike jerseys I think their pants may actually be a ripon/reebok model that is similar to the nike version: matte yellow moisture wicking polyester and mesh insert pant stripes. At this point I think the panthers are the only team that wears both jerseys and pants with the old construction and materials, which has been around since the mid 80's.

6 hours ago, guest23 said:

I have heard the same thing that the new pants wick away much more moisture than the dazzle nylon/spandex. That is obviously a big difference. I also believe that there is a comfort benefit with features like the lighter mesh wrapping around to the back of the knee. While the packers definitely have stayed away from nike jerseys I think their pants may actually be a ripon/reebok model that is similar to the nike version: matte yellow moisture wicking polyester and mesh insert pant stripes. At this point I think the panthers are the only team that wears both jerseys and pants with the old construction and materials, which has been around since the mid 80's.

I spent some time working for an apparel company, where I learned that moisture wicking material is actually the result of the material being chemically treated, rather than the type of material itself, so you could create moisture wicking dazzle material.. Also, if it were such a drastic difference in performance, we wouldn't have seen this level of success from teams in older products (Raiders playing their best football in over a decade, Dallas having best record in the league, Packers going deep into playoffs, Panthers and Falcons making Super Bowl appearances)..

Granted, I don't have much experience with Nike uniforms, I can attest that our old Adidas dazzle practice pants are no heavier than our new Adidas game pants or Under Armour game pants from 2 years ago, and the dazzle material is more stretchy, and some guys actually find it more comfortable.. So, I'm not gonna buy Nike's marketing nonsense just yet..

And again, as stated, the initial question didn't ask about new materials or Nike.. It just asked if these pants are still available, which they are.. That's all I'm saying 

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I spent some time working for an apparel company, where I learned that moisture wicking material is actually the result of the material being chemically treated, rather than the type of material itself, so you could create moisture wicking dazzle material.. Also, if it were such a drastic difference in performance, we wouldn't have seen this level of success from teams in older products (Raiders playing their best football in over a decade, Dallas having best record in the league, Packers going deep into playoffs, Panthers and Falcons making Super Bowl appearances)..

Granted, I don't have much experience with Nike uniforms, I can attest that our old Adidas dazzle practice pants are no heavier than our new Adidas game pants or Under Armour game pants from 2 years ago, and the dazzle material is more stretchy, and some guys actually find it more comfortable.. So, I'm not gonna buy Nike's marketing nonsense just yet..

And again, as stated, the initial question didn't ask about new materials or Nike.. It just asked if these pants are still available, which they are.. That's all I'm saying 

Can you help me understand if it's just a chemical treatment and has nothing to do with the type of textile used, why all the manufactures switched over to 100% poly or a 90/10 poly/stretch nylon from the old nylon/spandex construction? Is it a weight thing? Purely fashion? Keep in mind it's not just football uniforms that have made the switch just about every sport and training gear made this switch to matte fabrics.

24 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Boise State will release new uniforms today at 1 MT. Not significant changes from what I've heard, but the black jersey is gone (thank goodness)

It's about time. They've still been wearing the same old ProCombat template that pretty much all other Nike schools ditched years ago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

34 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Boise State will release new uniforms today at 1 MT. Not significant changes from what I've heard, but the black jersey is gone (thank goodness)

Would love to see more orange and less grey/silver. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

34 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

Would love to see more orange and less grey/silver. 

I'm pretty sure it's going to be blue/white/orange in terms of jerseys. Not sure about helmets or pants. I'd imagine the silver stays as an accent color, though. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Can you help me understand if it's just a chemical treatment and has nothing to do with the type of textile used, why all the manufactures switched over to 100% poly or a 90/10 poly/stretch nylon from the old nylon/spandex construction? Is it a weight thing? Purely fashion? Keep in mind it's not just football uniforms that have made the switch just about every sport and training gear made this switch to matte fabrics.

the chemical treatment may work better with cartain fabrics than others (for example, sublimation printing is similar in this regard), but i can't confirm that.. 

i am certain that different manufacturers use different fabrics, and not all of them align with your numbers.. i have a pair of dazzle adidas pants here that are 88% polyester 12% spandex, so polyester can be used for the dazzle material.. i also have some matte nylon uniforms from multiple manufacturers, so simply using nylon doesn't equate to dazzle material.. adidas techfit is 95% nylon and 5% spandex, and it's probably the most matte / least dazzle uniform material currently offered at the higher levels.. so i can't say for sure that it's one way or the other, but i can confirm that i have multiple materials that have a dazzle finish and essentially the same list of materials with a matte finish, so i think it comes down to A- fashion/trends, B-cost/ease of manufacturing, and C-marketability

42 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

the chemical treatment may work better with cartain fabrics than others (for example, sublimation printing is similar in this regard), but i can't confirm that.. 

i am certain that different manufacturers use different fabrics, and not all of them align with your numbers.. i have a pair of dazzle adidas pants here that are 88% polyester 12% spandex, so polyester can be used for the dazzle material.. i also have some matte nylon uniforms from multiple manufacturers, so simply using nylon doesn't equate to dazzle material.. adidas techfit is 95% nylon and 5% spandex, and it's probably the most matte / least dazzle uniform material currently offered at the higher levels.. so i can't say for sure that it's one way or the other, but i can confirm that i have multiple materials that have a dazzle finish and essentially the same list of materials with a matte finish, so i think it comes down to A- fashion/trends, B-cost/ease of manufacturing, and C-marketability

fair points...I think I was focusing more on football uniforms, that have more stretch fabric than dazzle gym shorts and crappy replice jerseys where I believe the poly is used because it's cheaper. I still find it hard to believe that at least one apparel manufacturer has not created a shiny modern athletic fabric simply out of differentiation and fashion trends cycling through the 90's at the moment.

Archived