College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Oklahoma State had them as well.

jordan-e1481687367227.jpg

I know Oregon went with Jordan warm-ups for their travel gear in both 2014 and 2015 but went back to Nike-branded stuff this year while maintaining just custom Jordan shoes.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:49 AM, orangefaniniowa said:

That's news to me.  It appears Florida was the only one IIRC (along with Michigan).  It would really make my day if the Gators do go to the Jordan brand beginning in '17.  Let's hope they do the next few months, with new football jerseys with the Jumpman added to it.

Florida plays Michigan opening week next season, could be the first Jordan vs. Jordan meeting (let's keep fingers crossed).

My information comes from a Nike school's equipment manager. Several schools got Jordan gear this year, but it was at the discretion of the coaches/equipment guys that place the orders, not a direction from Nike.

You'll see this again when the NCAA basketball tournament rolls around. Nike contract teams receive new on-court gear as part of Nike's postseason line, but they can order new travel gear for the teams out of a Nike postseason catalog that will include options from Jordan. It's always been that way. 

19 hours ago, tron1013 said:

Uni-Watch column on ESPN on further helmet safety innovations, may affect logo placement in 2017 and beyond

story here

IMG_4196.JPG

it's really only an issue for lazy equipment managers.. the snap can be removed, then the decal can be placed in the appropriate location, then the snap can be added back through the decal.. the chin-strap hangs over and obscures part of the logo in most cases anyway, so it's really no different... 

although i'd prefer the helmet manufacterers to be mindful of such issues when determining snap locations during the design process... i know each team's decals are different and some are unique designs that cover unconventional locations, but to put a snap in a location that affects 70+% of teams is a bit ridiculous imo

6 hours ago, WavePunter said:

it's really only an issue for lazy equipment managers.. the snap can be removed, then the decal can be placed in the appropriate location, then the snap can be added back through the decal.. the chin-strap hangs over and obscures part of the logo in most cases anyway, so it's really no different... 

although i'd prefer the helmet manufacterers to be mindful of such issues when determining snap locations during the design process... i know each team's decals are different and some are unique designs that cover unconventional locations, but to put a snap in a location that affects 70+% of teams is a bit ridiculous imo

They are specifically talking about the new Schutt F7 helmet on the left of the above image. It has an entire ridge that cuts through the middle of where a traditional decal would be placed. If you look at the SC helmet next to it there is no way that decal will fit on the F7 in a traditional manner.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

6 minutes ago, kcchiefsfan said:

They are specifically talking about the new Schutt F7 helmet on the left of the above image. It has an entire ridge that cuts through the middle of where a traditional decal would be placed. If you look at the SC helmet next to it there is no way that decal will fit on the F7 in a traditional manner.

I absolutely, 100% disagree.. Decals are made of thick, .20 mil comfortable vinyl.. It'll go on there just fine.. The ridge may make it look a bit worse, but it can be applied in the traditional manner and traditional location with ease

And for the record, I was aware of exactly what they were specifically talking about.. The picture preceding the comment kinda cleared that up

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

You'll see logos shrink and slide more towards the back of the helmet.

same issue.. lazy equipment managers and poor snap placement.. take the snap off, put the decal in the right place, then put the snap back on.. it's really pretty simple, but decals are already giving these guys fits because they're too lazy or narrow-minded to understand and fix the issues.. same reason decals are often tilted forward nowadays.. people are setting the helmet down on a table (where it's leaning back compared to how it would be on a player's head) and applying the decal vertically, but then when it goes onto the player, the decal is no longer vertical, it's rotated slightly forward, creating an awkward look... these issues are all so easy to fix if you understand what the ultimate goal is

1 minute ago, WavePunter said:

same issue.. lazy equipment managers and poor snap placement.. take the snap off, put the decal in the right place, then put the snap back on.. it's really pretty simple, but decals are already giving these guys fits because they're too lazy or narrow-minded to understand and fix the issues.. same reason decals are often tilted forward nowadays.. people are setting the helmet down on a table (where it's leaning back compared to how it would be on a player's head) and applying the decal vertically, but then when it goes onto the player, the decal is no longer vertical, it's rotated slightly forward, creating an awkward look... these issues are all so easy to fix if you understand what the ultimate goal is

Are you talking about the lower snap (green) or the one higher up (red) on the helmet? That lower snap shouldn't affect any type of logo, the one higher up would though. Ultimately if the logo goes over that snap, if it matches the helmet shell you can simply cut around the snap. Those tend to be set in place and wouldn't simply come off and go right back on. 

helmetcomparison.JPG

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Are you talking about the lower snap (green) or the one higher up (red) on the helmet? That lower snap shouldn't affect any type of logo, the one higher up would though. Ultimately if the logo goes over that snap, if it matches the helmet shell you can simply cut around the snap. Those tend to be set in place and wouldn't simply come off and go right back on. 

helmetcomparison.JPG

the red circle.. they come right off with a philips-head screwdrivier, and can go right back on through the decal with no cutting necessary.. it adds about 20 seconds per helmet to deal with them and really isnt a big deal.. we have a healthy mix of Schutt and Riddell helmets, and Schutt is easily the worst offender (at least with regards to the shape of our decals), and it's not even all Schutt models, so again, it's really not a big deal to just do it properly, because that SC helmet on the right looks ridiculous with the decal that far back 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

the red circle.. they come right off with a philips-head screwdrivier, and can go right back on through the decal with no cutting necessary.. it adds about 20 seconds per helmet to deal with them and really isnt a big deal.. we have a healthy mix of Schutt and Riddell helmets, and Schutt is easily the worst offender (at least with regards to the shape of our decals), and it's not even all Schutt models, so again, it's really not a big deal to just do it properly, because that SC helmet on the right looks ridiculous with the decal that far back 

Does anyone even use that helmet strap snap anymore? I think if the logo was placed around it, it'd look even more out of place. But it might be because I've gotten used to seeing helmet logos set like this. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I absolutely, 100% disagree.. Decals are made of thick, .20 mil comfortable vinyl.. It'll go on there just fine.. The ridge may make it look a bit worse, but it can be applied in the traditional manner and traditional location with ease

And for the record, I was aware of exactly what they were specifically talking about.. The picture preceding the comment kinda cleared that up

It can be applied there but it is going to look awful. The snaps aren't the problem for most teams with this helmet it is the ridge. Sections of the decal are going to be applied to the sides of the ridge and the logo will be partially obscured  and distorted and won't look right. 

And for the record, It sure didn't seem like you read the article or understand the concern it states... The article kind of clears up your comments.

Also this picture shows how large the ridge is and how you can't simply slap a decal (like the SC logo) on and have it 'work'.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 4.22.05 PM.png

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived