College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

One more Auburn note: This season marks 125 years of football. I theorized that they would honor the milestone a few weeks ago. Now they've released the logo for the season. No word if it'll show up on the uniforms, but I expect it, at the very least, be placed on the back of the helmets.

125 years football.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

NC State just unveiled their "Black Howl" uniforms, which are terrible.

Twitter

Knock off Oregon font ?

Adidas three stripe shoulders?

Tinfoil numbers?

Team name on pants?

Yup, it's all there. And it's all crap.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That's a Thursday night game against Louisville, so expect the Cards to come out in something trash as well.

Honestly I was hoping that this was going to be a random game so that they could end up wearing all black at noon.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This logo makes it very clear that Auburn fully recognizes just how iconic to their football uniform their use of a classic two-color northwestern stripe is.

Which makes it all the more puzzling that they refuse to use it on the pants, also.

Auburn definitely recognizes it has a classic set but the reason they won't switch the pants is probably just as simple as "because that's the way it's always been." Tradition wins.

Also, regarding the shoulder stripes, I was definitely a fan of the treatment that LSU and Ole Miss had the last few years but didn't like the skinny numbers. I really want to see someone try sublimating the stripes on this new Nike design and make them full traditional loops. We've seen sublimation is definitely possible on this template with some Oregon uniforms last year. No reason they can't give it a try.

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Knock off Oregon font ?

Tinfoil numbers?

Team name on pants?

The shoulders have more of a northwestern stripe rather than the Adidas three stripes, but your larger point still stands.

IMG_4804.thumb.PNG.5c550bdeca0580eb1a2db8156e659534.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The shoulders have more of a northwestern stripe rather than the Adidas three stripes, but your larger point still stands.

IMG_4804.thumb.PNG.5c550bdeca0580eb1a2db8156e659534.PNG

Those shoulder stripes immediately made me think of SMU's old uniforms

kenneth-acker.jpg

IowaWesternBanner.png

21 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Shifting uniform elements from the sleeve up to the shoulder (most notably tv numbers) is a common practice in adapting to newer jersey cuts.. If you're suggesting that the shoulder is no longer an option, we're in trouble! I think the real issue is laziness and bottom line.. It's cheaper to manufacture a limited number of templates and pump out tons of jerseys than tailor your operation to each and every team you outfit.. I think a modern version of full shoulder loops is actually feasible, just not worth  Nike's time..

The crux of the issue is that the traditional Ucla stripe was an insert into the seam between the sleeve and torso. The way it wrapped all the way around was that it connected under the armpit. Modern jerseys have no armpits, they are either cap sleeves or significantly pulled in. Given that that the material to complete the loop no longer exists, how is it possible to replicate the traditional stripe/loop? You either do what lsu/miss did the last few seasons, or you wrap the stripe under the arms across the ribs giving you a houston rockets look. There just isn't an easy fix for this one.

8 minutes ago, guest23 said:

The crux of the issue is that the traditional Ucla stripe was an insert into the seam between the sleeve and torso. The way it wrapped all the way around was that it connected under the armpit. Modern jerseys have no armpits, they are either cap sleeves or significantly pulled in. Given that that the material to complete the loop no longer exists, how is it possible to replicate the traditional stripe/loop? You either do what lsu/miss did the last few seasons, or you wrap the stripe under the arms across the ribs giving you a houston rockets look. There just isn't an easy fix for this one.

I have no hard evidence to support this wild ass assumption, but I hypothesize that proper ucla stripes could actually be truncated due to the sleeve cut (similar to how sleeve stripes get cut off as they run into the torso), so the result would be having the stripes angled opposite of how LSU and Ole Miss have had them in recent years, if that makes sense.. If you look closely at several of the templates and patterns from multiple manufacturers, there's actually a few styles that have panels that would accommodate this rather well.. I'd have to see someone really put forth the effort to do it properly to see if it can really be pulled off the way I picture it, but I think it could be done in a way that is as accurate/true to the original as possible on the current template..

Also worth noting - the original vapor untouchable uniform displayed at the unveiling of the template had no seam running from shoulder to shoulder, so whatever option/version/placement of the stripes works best could actually be sublimated right into the jersey pattern before it's sewn together.. Recent images suggest they've altered the template a bit though..

33 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I have no hard evidence to support this wild ass assumption, but I hypothesize that proper ucla stripes could actually be truncated due to the sleeve cut (similar to how sleeve stripes get cut off as they run into the torso), so the result would be having the stripes angled opposite of how LSU and Ole Miss have had them in recent years, if that makes sense.. If you look closely at several of the templates and patterns from multiple manufacturers, there's actually a few styles that have panels that would accommodate this rather well.. I'd have to see someone really put forth the effort to do it properly to see if it can really be pulled off the way I picture it, but I think it could be done in a way that is as accurate/true to the original as possible on the current template..

Also worth noting - the original vapor untouchable uniform displayed at the unveiling of the template had no seam running from shoulder to shoulder, so whatever option/version/placement of the stripes works best could actually be sublimated right into the jersey pattern before it's sewn together.. Recent images suggest they've altered the template a bit though..

The template usually doesn't have that seam, but it's added in some instances to accommodate stripes, yokes, panels, etc. in the shoulder area. IMG_4809.thumb.JPG.b23b588ab8e5d17e321208523ffe4e03.JPGIMG_4807.thumb.JPG.5d631cfc5c8a30fdfe327f75539cd20a.JPGIMG_4764.thumb.JPG.d1f38fc6044fac818241790b6ad78563.JPG

The regular version of the template still doesn't have any seams across the chest, so sublimation could still be a feasible option for things like shoulder stripes if they wanted to go that route. But so far they've opted against that, instead opting to insert the different seams across the upper chest/shoulder to accommodate the different design elements in that area.

IMG_4603.thumb.JPG.ae8c788859b1b88efc477e2b04ddcc3a.JPGIMG_4776.JPG.cac0efaeb9a448d37fcb7c7c179005d3.JPG

IMG_3575.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The template usually doesn't have that seam, but it's added in some instances to accommodate stripes, yokes, panels, etc. in the shoulder area. IMG_4809.thumb.JPG.b23b588ab8e5d17e321208523ffe4e03.JPGIMG_4807.thumb.JPG.5d631cfc5c8a30fdfe327f75539cd20a.JPGIMG_4764.thumb.JPG.d1f38fc6044fac818241790b6ad78563.JPG

The regular version of the template still doesn't have any seams across the chest, so sublimation could still be a feasible option for things like shoulder stripes if they wanted to go that route. But so far they've opted against that, instead opting to insert the different seams across the upper chest/shoulder to accommodate the different design elements in that area.

IMG_4603.thumb.JPG.ae8c788859b1b88efc477e2b04ddcc3a.JPGIMG_4776.JPG.cac0efaeb9a448d37fcb7c7c179005d3.JPG

IMG_3575.PNG

Ahh, that makes sense (kinda).. My idea of a solution (whatever route they choose), would simply be to complete the jersey (minus sleeves), apply the shoulder loops however they plan to do it, then apply the sleeves (if they go sublimation route, the stripes would obviously be added much earlier in the process).. There are definitely options available to be more accurate with the shoulder loops, but again, I think the difficulty of manufacturing something that doesn't fit the template isn't cost-effective and therefore not worth it..

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Like this?

AE_NE-01.thumb.png.bf638133eab6b43ba0dffd11d8f1b00a.png

18 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Knock off Oregon font ?

Tinfoil numbers?

Team name on pants?

only redeeming quality to me is the retro logo on the helmet. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

only redeeming quality to me is the retro logo on the helmet. 

yep, the rest is luke warm garbage...not even hot anymore. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Ahh, that makes sense (kinda).. My idea of a solution (whatever route they choose), would simply be to complete the jersey (minus sleeves), apply the shoulder loops however they plan to do it, then apply the sleeves (if they go sublimation route, the stripes would obviously be added much earlier in the process).. There are definitely options available to be more accurate with the shoulder loops, but again, I think the difficulty of manufacturing something that doesn't fit the template isn't cost-effective and therefore not worth it..

i imagine that the cost of it is probably not the primary reason its done this way. i think it has something to do with the consistent cut/sew production. Nike wouldn't add extra seams to the VU if it were not necessary for them to get the design right on a consistent basis. even if they sublimated teh stripes, im not 100% sure thats a better process either. it may be one thing to do it with a pattern all over like TCU a few years ago, but to do an element that must be so precise, i dont know. and i don't know if you can sublimate designs on dark colors either but im no expert on that. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived