College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

31 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i imagine that the cost of it is probably not the primary reason its done this way. i think it has something to do with the consistent cut/sew production. Nike wouldn't add extra seams to the VU if it were not necessary for them to get the design right on a consistent basis. even if they sublimated teh stripes, im not 100% sure thats a better process either. it may be one thing to do it with a pattern all over like TCU a few years ago, but to do an element that must be so precise, i dont know. and i don't know if you can sublimate designs on dark colors either but im no expert on that. 

To sublimate dark colors, you'd start with a white jersey and print a large sheet with the design printed with colors, logos, and every detail needed. I imagine the process of getting it perfectly lined up on every jersey would be a reason we don't see sublimated stripes like this. Doing a pattern design would be much easier than having to do stripes. Of course this is just based on how we do sublimation at my work. Nike could have a totally different way of doing it. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i imagine that the cost of it is probably not the primary reason its done this way. i think it has something to do with the consistent cut/sew production. Nike wouldn't add extra seams to the VU if it were not necessary for them to get the design right on a consistent basis. even if they sublimated teh stripes, im not 100% sure thats a better process either. it may be one thing to do it with a pattern all over like TCU a few years ago, but to do an element that must be so precise, i dont know. and i don't know if you can sublimate designs on dark colors either but im no expert on that. 

On a dark-colored sublimated jersey, the dark color is sublimated as well.. The entire design is sublimated onto white material, and even the inside of the jersey would remain white (you can't sublimate both sides of the fabric).. I'm not an expert in the field either, but I helped a small apparel company get into the wrestling market, and I learned a lot about patterns, templates, sublimation, construction, etc.. Wrestling uniforms are primarily sublimated nowadays, with designs that carry over from one panel to another, and they are able to match them up pretty consistently and do a good job.. Same with sublimated leg bands (similar to sleeve cuffs) with striping patterns.. I really think it could be done and I truly believe it's one of those things that's just easier for them to adapt the traditional design to their modern template than it is for them to adapt the modern template to the traditional design.. Especially if those of us who frequent these boards are among the few who see an issue with the jerseys.

Still waiting for a complete Shark Jump and NC State to roll out one of these bad boys:

MTN_102275f__27878.1389218560.686.800.jp

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

4 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Still waiting for a complete Shark Jump and NC State to roll out one of these bad boys:

MTN_102275f__27878.1389218560.686.800.jp

Looks like Minnesota Timberwolves wallpaper.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

only redeeming quality to me is the retro logo on the helmet. 

I like how it's this whole "badass" all-black and silver thing and then they just throw on their goofy cartoon logo on the helmet to undermine the whole dumb thing. 

On 5/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, Midway said:

I hate to speculate but Texas Tech has been making heavy use of the new end zone font across all sports graphics. A part of me wonders if this is a sign of a redesign we don't know about yet. I wouldn't mind it. 

IMG_0499.JPG

As suspected, Tech is rolling with a new font. Worlds better than that flimsy :censored: we had before. 

IMG_0609.PNG

IMG_0612.PNG

Midway.png

4 hours ago, Midway said:

As suspected, Tech is rolling with a new font. Worlds better than that flimsy :censored: we had before. 

IMG_0609.PNG

IMG_0612.PNG

Looks good.  Pretty similar to the Crabtree era font. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/7/2017 at 5:37 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Knock off Oregon font ?

Adidas three stripe shoulders?

Tinfoil numbers?

Team name on pants?

Yup, it's all there. And it's all crap.

A couple things you forgot:

- Mismatch font between numerals and letters.

- The chrome facemask.

But just so we aren't totally negative, the seemed to get the name right, Black Howl, because man, woof (like Buzz's girlfriend).

On 6/7/2017 at 3:25 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

This logo makes it very clear that Auburn fully recognizes just how iconic to their football uniform their use of a classic two-color northwestern stripe is.

Which makes it all the more puzzling that they refuse to use it on the pants, also.

What site did you happen to find this on?

Kristopher Bazen
Kris Bazen Creative
www.www.krisbazen.com

Twitter: @krisbazen

Dribbble: dribbble.com/krisbazen

3 minutes ago, krisbazen said:

What site did you happen to find this on?

The Auburn 125 year logo? The senior writer for the school's athletic site tweeted it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

On 6/7/2017 at 11:33 PM, guest23 said:

The crux of the issue is that the traditional Ucla stripe was an insert into the seam between the sleeve and torso. The way it wrapped all the way around was that it connected under the armpit. Modern jerseys have no armpits, they are either cap sleeves or significantly pulled in. Given that that the material to complete the loop no longer exists, how is it possible to replicate the traditional stripe/loop? You either do what lsu/miss did the last few seasons, or you wrap the stripe under the arms across the ribs giving you a houston rockets look. There just isn't an easy fix for this one.

The Panthers have been able to do it with a modern jersey cut:

cFTPxNb.jpg

Even Russell was able to do it with Georgia Tech's uniforms a couple years ago:

H0qzLVI.jpg

I refuse to believe that Nike, Adidas and Under Armour couldn't accommodate full shoulder loops that connect under the armpits if a team/school asked for it. It might require them to get creative with the seams on the jersey, but there are real-life examples that it can be done.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

37 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The Panthers have been able to do it with a modern jersey cut:

cFTPxNb.jpg

Even Russell was able to do it with Georgia Tech's uniforms a couple years ago:

H0qzLVI.jpg

I refuse to believe that Nike, Adidas and Under Armour couldn't accommodate full shoulder loops that connect under the armpits if a team/school asked for it. It might require them to get creative with the seams on the jersey, but there are real-life examples that it can be done.

Cam newton is about the only person on the team to have full shoulder loops

IMG_3635.JPG

15 minutes ago, dont care said:

Cam newton is about the only person on the team to have full shoulder loops

IMG_3635.JPG

Beat me to it. Additionally that ripon template has got to be going on 20 years at this point. The tech/russell example is a total anomaly,there's definitely more fabric underneath than a traditional cap sleeve which allows the braid/stripe to run under the ribcage. Unfortunately I don't see that style catching on.

I think you're missing his point.  Nobody is saying they can just put a full shoulder loop on the latest Nike or Adidas template.  The thought is, if a team went to their manufacturer (would have be be a relatively important client for that manufacturer... LSU, or preferably UCLA, who the friggin' stripe is named after) and said, "look, this is our signature... our fans love it, they hate change, our brand depends on it... find a way to create a lightweight, tight-fitting jersey, with as little extra fabric as possible, but still incorporates his type of stripe.  It's important to us... we are the client... just do it", it's very very difficult to believe that the experts at these companies couldn't do it.  Of course they could. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that's exactly how that jersey that LSU and Ole' Miss have been wearing happened.  Nike didn't just decide to do that... one of those teams came to them and complained about the shortening of the stripes, and that was the solution.

It's obvious most teams don't care that much, and most fans don't notice, and after a certain amount of time, those stripe are no longer considered cut-off, they just become the norm. But to pretend like there's just no choice... it's garbage.  Nike and Adidas sell the schools on this marketing scheme that these tighter, lighter jerseys will help them win (1.234% lighter!!  2.5432% harder to grab!!!) and the schools sign up for the template they want.  If it's a traditional school that wants to keep their tradition design, they are probably fine with the compromise of whatever slight alterations have to be made.  But don't buy that they have no choice.

Here's proof... a few years back, when Michigan was an Adidas school, Jim Harbaugh wanted this uniform;

hqdefault.jpg

Elasticized cuff stripe that went all the way around, sleeves big enough for a 4" number... as far as I know, that was like no other jersey Adidas manufactured at that time... look at what they produced for pretty much every other team they worked with.  But Harbaugh said, "this is what I want" (probably took his shirt off, and went all bug eyed) and they cared enough to actually do it.  Obviously, Nike went full Nike on them, but I'd bet that was because they decided it was better marketing to adapt to a Nike template.  But don't believe Michigan couldn't have insisted on full wrap-around sleeve cuffs and a number on the sleeve... they always have that option. A template is the manufacturer's business... the dog shouldn't have to be wagged by the tail. 

Archived