College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

I read the article, and yes, it may "distort" the logo to some degree, but it's not the first helmet with a ridge nor the first time a decal is slightly distorted, so I don't see any real issue with it.. But, it absolutely can be just slapped on there, as today's decals adhere to the curves and ridges pretty well.. Someone may not prefer the look distorted logo and opt to put it elsewhere, but to suggest that it will become a necessity is incorrect imo

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Does anyone even use that helmet strap snap anymore? I think if the logo was placed around it, it'd look even more out of place. But it might be because I've gotten used to seeing helmet logos set like this. 

Yes, most people still use that one.. Very few use the low hookup.. But part of the issue to start with is the manufacturer's placement of those snaps.. On the  SC helmet, for example, if the snap were 1" lower and 1" forward, the decal could essentially fit exactly where it always has  (or at least MUCH closer) without even dealing with the snaps, but placing the snap in the middle of the prime real estate is the primary issue.. It's significantly lower on Riddell helmets, but it's functionally the same.. It's only an issue with Schutt's non-traditional shell designs.. The AirXP line and Q10 line don't have the issue like the DNA, Z10, Vengeance, and now F7 lines do

6 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

The F7 isn't even on there so I don't see your point.

The point is that a safe helmet can be achieved without all the extraneous details we see on the shell of the F7. It's a better looking helmet and doesn't compromise the application of team logos and striping. 

Midway.png

3 hours ago, Midway said:

The point is that a safe helmet can be achieved without all the extraneous details we see on the shell of the F7. It's a better looking helmet and doesn't compromise the application of team logos and striping. 

It is about making a safER helmet not just a safe one. The way this seller works it needs the panels and ridges to allow it to flex and distribute the impact more. 

3 hours ago, Midway said:

It is about making a safER helmet not just a safe one. The way this seller works it needs the panels and ridges to allow it to flex and distribute the impact more. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Well, yeah, according to the manufacturer. A lot of people, however, think that the main function of those panels and ridges is to differentiate their version from any competitor's. It's bad marketing to introduce something new and amazing, and have it look like the same old thing.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, yeah, according to the manufacturer. A lot of people, however, think that the main function of those panels and ridges is to differentiate their version from any competitor's. It's bad marketing to introduce something new and amazing, and have it look like the same old thing.

Unless you're apple of course. 

I admit I didn't read the article yet. Is the padding on the inside--that actually contacts the head--improved as well?

edit: never mind. It seems the padding changes a lot. Carry on

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

considering the concept was designed by someone outside of schutt that isnt likely. the panels do serve a purpose and it is backed by science, it isn't purely for marketing purposes.

Regardless of the helmet's safety merits, it still looks too complex in design and will distort the uniform elements. I want to reserve judgement until we actually see them on players but I have concerns about how the helmet would handle CSU's ram horns or Michigan's wings, let alone basic striping.

Midway.png

Aesthetics vs. safety is an easy choice to make.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, CRichardson said:

Aesthetics vs. safety is an easy choice to make.

On this board??? Not so much.... (Or maybe not the obvious answer)

All joking aside, I think the ridges are more for marketing and Schutt trying to keep up with Riddell, who made ridges a "cool" thing (albeit without really affecting the general decal area's surface).. The original Bulwark helmet design didn't have them, so I'm thinking all the design changes were either cost-related or marketing-related, rather than safety-related..

I am nearly positive Georgia will wear the Vapor Untouchable template next year. Think I just found a leaked pic. Will look into this further after work, but all rumors had been pointing to the Mach Speed template. I'm rather excited because the Vapor Untouchable jersey is Nike's newest and most current model and is so much cleaner looking. If this is what I think it is, it's my most ideal Georgia look. I like our new font, like the contrasting collar and cuffs, but hated the NFL style collar with Flywire. Really cheapened the look.

I have a recruiting picture here and the jersey on the far right is 100% new. Couple things:

1- It's #55, which is always Nike's sample jersey number they use.

2- No SEC patch.

3- "DAWGS" is embroidered inside the collar. That has never been done before.

4- The collar has a perfectly smooth roundness to it. The current NFL template we have has the weird thick and oddly shaped collar. The Mach Speed has the thick collar which comes to a flat point (see Tennessee and Kentucky away jerseys). So this is neither the current nor Mach Speed.

5- Hard to say definitively but it looks like the collar also has the mesh triangle thing by the logo.

6- Nike and Georgia logos are flipped on the pants. Compare to the recruit's pants, which are the current ones we have been wearing.

IMG_6207.JPG

45 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

What the :censored: do you think helmets are for? Jesus christ, I'm sorry the players might have to wear ugly hats so they don't get brain damage playing for your entertainment, truly this is an inconvenience that must be avoided.

You've really bent over backwards to try and twist my words into some "he hates player safety" narrative. I'll do the mods a solid and not play your petty little game. 

Midway.png

22 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I am nearly positive Georgia will wear the Vapor Untouchable template next year. Think I just found a leaked pic. Will look into this further after work, but all rumors had been pointing to the Mach Speed template. I'm rather excited because the Vapor Untouchable jersey is Nike's newest and most current model and is so much cleaner looking. If this is what I think it is, it's my most ideal Georgia look. I like our new font, like the contrasting collar and cuffs, but hated the NFL style collar with Flywire. Really cheapened the look.

I have a recruiting picture here and the jersey on the far right is 100% new. Couple things:

1- It's #55, which is always Nike's sample jersey number they use.

2- No SEC patch.

3- "DAWGS" is embroidered inside the collar. That has never been done before.

4- The collar has a perfectly smooth roundness to it. The current NFL template we have has the weird thick and oddly shaped collar. The Mach Speed has the thick collar which comes to a flat point (see Tennessee and Kentucky away jerseys). So this is neither the current nor Mach Speed.

5- Hard to say definitively but it looks like the collar also has the mesh triangle thing by the logo.

6- Nike and Georgia logos are flipped on the pants. Compare to the recruit's pants, which are the current ones we have been wearing.

IMG_6207.JPG

Mach Speed can use the same collar as a Vapor. The lack of a black strip between the numbers is the key though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Mach Speed can use the same collar as a Vapor. The lack of a black strip between the numbers is the key though.

This isn't quite true. The base of the collar has that same mesh material but is shaped very differently. It has a flat collar whereas the Vapor template has a traditional collar.  Compare Tennessee and Kentucky to Oregon below. This is what convinces me it's the Oregon template.

636157818871837569-USATSI-9705844.jpg

JoshuaDobbs_2015_300.jpg

onceducknike1920x1080.jpg

Archived