buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

FWIW, college football programs (and the NCAA as a whole) generally feel the same way and ignore their own role in brain injuries, hence the use of multiple helmets. They can just pretend the NFL is the sole reason instead. 

As someone who's talked with athletic trainers, equipment managers, and professors who specialized in biomechanics and neuroscience, the argument the NFL gave for using only one helmet was pure BS.  Using multiple helmets doesn't increase the chances for concussions since the helmets can be made up to mirror one another and there's less wear and tear on the shells and padding.  They also say that no helmet will be concussions/brain trauma-proof because most of those injuries are caused by the rapid deceleration of the brain within the skull, something a helmet can only help slow.  The NFL mainly used the one helmet rule to cut down on their insurance liability from having to certify so many potential helmets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this has been discussed numerous times, but it keeps coming up.  The NFL's stance on one helmet isn't about the player's "getting used to a helmet" or "breaking in a helmet"... it's about trainers only having to maintain, service, and fit a single helmet (barring breakage) per player.  The idea is, the more helmets the staff has to maintain, the more chances there are that something wrong slips through.  Basically what there saying is, if the trainers only have to concentrate on a single helmet per player, they have a better chance of getting that one perfect.

 

I'm not saying I'm buying that necessarily... I get that it's mostly a PR thing... but if you're going to complain about it, at least get it right.

 

Also, those of you constantly bitching about the "rediculous" (sic) helmet rule need to stop acting like you care about player safety anymore than the leagues do... admit it's just about cool throwback looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, the trainers don't typically have much to do with the equipment.. It's usually the equipment managers who shoulder that load, and secondly, I'm the only equipment manager for a college football team of nearly 200 players, and if I can keep our helmets maintained, a pro staff can easily keep their helmets maintained.. That's another horrible argument by the NFL.. Also, I'm pretty sure that's what we were both saying - properly fitting multiple helmets for multiple players, and the issues associated with that, is what the NFL claims to be the issue.. We're saying that's BS because two helmets can be made to be identical.. In fact, you can take EVERYTHING from one helmet and install it into a 2nd shell to provide the EXACT same fit.. So, I think we are getting it right.. 

Basically, negating the NFL's BS claims and presenting value in the possibility of using multiple helmets would be an argument to increase safety, rather than decrease it.. If it results in cool throwbacks, well.. That's just gravy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to know.  Are all Nike schools going to switch to the Vapor template?  I don't think they are going to stay with Flywire now. Guess we will find out in a few more weeks when schools start seeing players wearing jerseys during the school's media day, and more photos are going to leak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Firstly, the trainers don't typically have much to do with the equipment.. It's usually the equipment managers who shoulder that load, and secondly, I'm the only equipment manager for a college football team of nearly 200 players, and if I can keep our helmets maintained, a pro staff can easily keep their helmets maintained.. That's another horrible argument by the NFL.. Also, I'm pretty sure that's what we were both saying - properly fitting multiple helmets for multiple players, and the issues associated with that, is what the NFL claims to be the issue.. We're saying that's BS because two helmets can be made to be identical.. In fact, you can take EVERYTHING from one helmet and install it into a 2nd shell to provide the EXACT same fit.. So, I think we are getting it right.. 

Basically, negating the NFL's BS claims and presenting value in the possibility of using multiple helmets would be an argument to increase safety, rather than decrease it.. If it results in cool throwbacks, well.. That's just gravy

 

I know you're a legit equipment manager...but 200 players for ~25 starting slots?  And the school isn't giving you more labor resources?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

I really want to know.  Are all Nike schools going to switch to the Vapor template?  I don't think they are going to stay with Flywire now. Guess we will find out in a few more weeks when schools start seeing players wearing jerseys during the school's media day, and more photos are going to leak.

Not all schools, some where still rocking the destroyer template until 2 years ago. Some will choose to keep what they got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Firstly, the trainers don't typically have much to do with the equipment.. It's usually the equipment managers who shoulder that load, and secondly, I'm the only equipment manager for a college football team of nearly 200 players, and if I can keep our helmets maintained, a pro staff can easily keep their helmets maintained.. That's another horrible argument by the NFL.. Also, I'm pretty sure that's what we were both saying - properly fitting multiple helmets for multiple players, and the issues associated with that, is what the NFL claims to be the issue.. We're saying that's BS because two helmets can be made to be identical.. In fact, you can take EVERYTHING from one helmet and install it into a 2nd shell to provide the EXACT same fit.. So, I think we are getting it right.. 

Basically, negating the NFL's BS claims and presenting value in the possibility of using multiple helmets would be an argument to increase safety, rather than decrease it.. If it results in cool throwbacks, well.. That's just gravy

 

OK... I said "trainers", should've said "equipment managers"... to-mah-to, to-maa-to... I'm not in the busness, so it all sounds the same to me.

 

The point is, most people complaining never mention that part. And, again, I'm not saying I buy it... as I said before, it's most likely 95% PR. But I still keep coming back to this same image in my head.  Some NFL lawyer asking if there's even a 1% chance that using multiple helmets is something that might come up in a future lawsuit (even if it's not really dangerous, just if it's something that could be used in a lawsuit to muddy the waters), and the NFL weighing that possibility (even if it'd be remote, even if their lawyers can probably shoot it down), and deciding that the fun of having the Buccaneers wear a bright orange throwback is not something that they need to fight over.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clemson has switched over the Vapor Untouchable as well. This is the 3rd template in as many years for the team. Look closely on the last picture:

 

EDIT: Better looks here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

 

I know you're a legit equipment manager...but 200 players for ~25 starting slots?  And the school isn't giving you more labor resources?

yeah, you'd think i could at least get some work study student assistants or internships from the sports management dept. or something, but no.. i have a couple guys who volunteer a good bit, but it's largely a 1-man show..

and to be fair, we operate off of 15 starting spots offensively and i think 13 defensively, plus all the special teams.. works out to more like 50+ starting spots and about 70 contributing spots, but your point still stands.. admin is aware that they've put too much on us and is working to reduce us down to about 150 over the next few years..

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

OK... I said "trainers", should've said "equipment managers"... to-mah-to, to-maa-to... I'm not in the busness, so it all sounds the same to me.

 

The point is, most people complaining never mention that part. And, again, I'm not saying I buy it... as I said before, it's most likely 95% PR. But I still keep coming back to this same image in my head.  Some NFL lawyer asking if there's even a 1% chance that using multiple helmets is something that might come up in a future lawsuit (even if it's not really dangerous, just if it's something that could be used in a lawsuit to muddy the waters), and the NFL weighing that possibility (even if it'd be remote, even if their lawyers can probably shoot it down), and deciding that the fun of having the Buccaneers wear a bright orange throwback is not something that they need to fight over.

 

 

i agree that was probably their line of thinking, and i certainly understand the "better safe than sorry" mindset.. but i could also see the rare off-chance situation where someone criticizes the NFL for putting their players in more danger by changing to the 1-helmet rule, citing the 1% chance that additional abuse on 1 helmet is possibly worse than spreading the wear & tear over several shells.. ultimately, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another.. but by initially instituting the rule, they opened themselves up to a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" scenario, because nobody was drawing the conclusion that concussions were in any way due to a team wearing alternate helmets.. now, however, they've given both sides of the argument the means to draw the logical conclusion that either 1 helmet or multiple helmets is safer..

so, i definitely think you're spot-on with your analysis of the situation.. it's the NFL that is full of <censored>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toledo looks like a cheap knock off version of West Virginia with the old Arizona template mixed in

 

DFHR9c5VYAEbpOU.jpg

 

DEd7AIaXYAApjoK.jpg

 

DEdcsU7WAAAHTGY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, djam2410 said:

Toledo looks like a cheap knock off version of West Virginia with the old Arizona template mixed in

 

DFHR9c5VYAEbpOU.jpg

 

Meh. I still think that they got rushed. You'd think the AD would've leaned forward and done this change prior to the summer. Of course they might have just kept it known as close hold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree - that looks like a HS knock-off of WVU.

 

That's a shame...

 

If they were going to go all paint-by-Nike, I would have liked to see them use this lightly-used template:

screen-shot-2014-04-23-at-2-19-10-pm.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djam2410 said:

Toledo looks like a cheap knock off version of West Virginia with the old Arizona template mixed in

 

DFHR9c5VYAEbpOU.jpg

 

DEd7AIaXYAApjoK.jpg

 

DEdcsU7WAAAHTGY.jpg

 

And yet they somehow look better than EITHER West Virginia OR Arizona. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how long Toledo were with Under Armour? This Nike switch is way worse (Imo) than what they had with UA. How long is this current deal with Nike for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrome14 said:

Anyone know how long Toledo were with Under Armour? This Nike switch is way worse (Imo) than what they had with UA. How long is this current deal with Nike for?

 

Quote from the article linked below: 

 

Quote

The university announced earlier this week all 16 varsity sports will switch to Nike on a permanent basis. Nike has provided uniforms and equipment for men’s and women’s basketball and baseball, while Oasics dresses the track teams and Under Armour has equipped the football squad.

The deal is expected to last for six years effective July 1 and will remain in place until the 2022-2023 academic season. The outfitter change is notable if only because Toledo was one of a few schools that used multiple outfitters for different sports, most notably in football.

Toledo was one of the first schools to utilize Under Armour as a supplier, signing an apparel deal with the company in 2010, just four years after Under Armour opened shop.

 

This current deal is for six years : https://www.hustlebelt.com/2017/6/26/15859134/toledo-rockets-athletics-signs-apparel-deal-nike-drop-under-armour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

 

did they really say "Oasics"????!?!?!!! REALLY?!?!?!

 

They're the new line of Asics designed for desert running. Oasics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djam2410 said:

 

Quote from the article linked below: 

 

 

This current deal is for six years : https://www.hustlebelt.com/2017/6/26/15859134/toledo-rockets-athletics-signs-apparel-deal-nike-drop-under-armour

 

 

I understand it's a bottom line business and now all of Toledo's sports are under one brand but football is off to an underwhelming start imo. Reminds me way too much of WV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suspicions are now officially confirmed those they're wearing the old pants for this photoshoot. New pants probably not in yet.

IMG_0632.PNG

IMG_0634.PNG

IMG_0635.PNG

IMG_0646.PNG

IMG_0651.PNG

IMG_0647.PNG

IMG_0649.PNG

IMG_0652.PNG

IMG_0655.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

My suspicions are now officially confirmed those they're wearing the old pants for this photoshoot. New pants probably not in yet.

 

IMG_0647.PNG

 

 

 

What happened to his hip G??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.