2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

45 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'll take the Chiefs over the Patriots out of the AFC. I have a funny feeling Atlanta comes out of the NFC, not Dallas.

(Cheap plug alert) I've been hyping the Falcons on Basically a Football Show for the past couple months. They've quietly put together a pretty impressive resume. I think this Falcons team is legit. 

The only team I see being able to beat the Patriots in Foxboro is Pittsburgh. I really like the Chiefs, but I don't think they have enough on offense to beat the Patriots on the road. Pittsburgh's defense isn't great, but they have enough offense to hang with the Pats in a shootout. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a win in Denver is any great feat for the Patriots.  Denver's a blocked extra point against New Orleans away from having lost six of seven, with the lone win coming against the hapless Jaguars.  I don't know that New England is the run away favorite that everybody says they are.  They should probably be the favorite, but they also played such a weak schedule.  So far they've played, what, four playoff teams?  One of them is a Houston team that wouldn't be a playoff team in any other division, one of them was a Pittsburgh team without Big Ben, and one of them was the Dolphins when they were pretty bad to start the season.  The other was a home loss to Seattle.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

(Cheap plug alert) I've been hyping the Falcons on Basically a Football Show for the past couple months. They've quietly put together a pretty impressive resume. I think this Falcons team is legit. 

The only team I see being able to beat the Patriots in Foxboro is Pittsburgh. I really like the Chiefs, but I don't think they have enough on offense to beat the Patriots on the road. Pittsburgh's defense isn't great, but they have enough offense to hang with the Pats in a shootout. 

I can't take any team that got demolished by the Eagles seriously.  I didn't see the game, but heard it wasn't as close as the score.  Same with their game vs Pittsburgh, which makes me think that they're a fraud too (again, didn't see the game though.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I can't take any team that got demolished by the Eagles seriously.  I didn't see the game, but heard it wasn't as close as the score.  Same with their game vs Pittsburgh, which makes me think that they're a fraud too (again, didn't see the game though.)

While I understand the argument of "Team A beat team B, therefore Team B won't beat Team C", I don't think it's applicable here. As I'm sure everyone remembers, the Patriots lost badly to the Chiefs 41-14 back in 2014 but then went on to run the table. While the Chiefs may have been better than the Patriots at the time, there was no doubt who was the better team by season's end. I think the same case applies when it comes to Pittsburgh/Philly (I think Green Bay/Washington is applicable too). Philly thoroughly dominated us in a game that, actually, could have been worse. But at this point in the season, if the two teams were to meet again, I think the Steelers would win rather convincingly. Why? Because the two teams are on different trajectories (Steelers on a 6 game winning streak while Eagles have only won 3 of their last 12 games).

In gist, I would say that a poor showing early in the season does not define a team or season. Now if we were to compare playoff teams (Steelers dominant 43-14 victory over the Chiefs; Dolphins convincing 30-15 victory over the Steelers), that would be a reasonable comparison.

NSFCvyu.png

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you're using the "good team loses to a team it shouldn't lose to" metric, then you might want to jump off that Seattle bandwagon. Tampa Bay dominated the Hawks. I saw the game and the score made it look a lot closer than it ever was. I also watched a 6 win Arizona team beat the Hawks in Seattle.  Let's not forget that Seattle also only managed 20 points (and lost) against a Saints team that doesn't have much of a defense. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time in the NFL. It doesn't mean anything. 

No offense, but when you don't actually watch games, I find it difficult to take your analysis seriously. :D

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

If you're using the "good team loses to a team it shouldn't lose to" metric, then you might want to jump off that Seattle bandwagon. Tampa Bay dominated the Hawks. I saw the game and the score made it look a lot closer than it ever was. I also watched a 6 win Arizona team beat the Hawks in Seattle.  Let's not forget that Seattle also only managed 20 points (and lost) against a Saints team that doesn't have much of a defense. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time in the NFL. It doesn't mean anything. 

No offense, but when you don't actually watch games, I find it difficult to take your analysis seriously. :D

Buffalo easily beat Arizona. Arizona easily beat Seattle. Seattle easily beat Buffalo.

18 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I don't mind short-run dynasties. The Cowboys, Broncos and Bulls of the 90s, the Yankees and Red Wings of the 90s/early 2000s, and even the early 2000s Patriots were fun in their own ways.

The 90s Broncos are the least appreciated of the back-to-back SB winners. We hear so much about the Packers, Dolphins, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots.

I know they only won 2 in a row, but those DEN teams are very underrated SB champs.

And it can't  be understated how big a deal it was when the AFC ended their LONG SB winless streak.

51 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Buffalo easily beat Arizona. Arizona easily beat Seattle. Seattle easily beat Buffalo.

Also, Cowboys swept the Redskins, Redskins beat the Giants and the Giants swept the Cowboys.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The Dolphins will win the SB because Tecmo told me so

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

8 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The 90s Broncos are the least appreciated of the back-to-back SB winners. We hear so much about the Packers, Dolphins, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots.

I know they only won 2 in a row, but those DEN teams are very underrated SB champs.

And it can't  be understated how big a deal it was when the AFC ended their LONG SB winless streak.

I think their first title is properly rated if you will, with TD's blind TD & Elway's helicopter getting a lot of yearly buzz.  It was the Falcons who blew the tire & ended up for better or worse one of the least memorable SB teams for the Broncos.

Those years, with the Sehorn Giants, weren't very potent matchups.

NE defeated the greatest show on turf with the first game ending/deciding FG to win it, + started their dynasty.  It is what it is to follow - the era of Brady-Manning-Ben-Eli.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On 12/30/2016 at 10:06 PM, the admiral said:

I'll take the Chiefs over the Patriots out of the AFC. I have a funny feeling Atlanta comes out of the NFC, not Dallas.

Pleasepleasepleaseplease

Seriously tho, anybody but the Patriots

spacer.png

AFC is set.  NFC has their six teams settled.  Now just playing for the division title and getting a home game in the playoffs.

A1. New England

A2. Kansas City

(A6) Miami at (A3) Pittsburgh

(A5) Oakland at (A4) Houston

N1. Dallas

N2. Atlanta

(N6) Green Bay/Detroit loser at (N3) Seattle

(N5) New York at (N4) Green Bay/Detroit winner

Pittsburgh beats Miami

Houston beats Oakland

Seattle beats Detroit

New York beats Green Bay

New England beats Houston

Pittsburgh beats Kansas City

New York beats Dallas

Seattle beats Atlanta

New England beats Pittsburgh

Seattle beats New York

New England beats Seattle

Thats my prediction

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Here's my (serious) prediction: Detroit beats Green Bay after, you guessed it, an insane 4th quarter comeback.

AFC:

Wild Card: Pittsburgh beats Miami, Oakland just barely beats Houston. Divisional Round: Patriots obliterate Oakland and Pittsburgh trumps KC. AFC Championship: NE obliterate Pittsburgh.

NFC:

Wild Card: Packers falter in Seattle and Giants beat Detroit. Divisional: Giants get MASSIVE upset against Dallas, and Falcons defeat Seahawks. NFC Championship:  Giants Magic fails against the Falcons and many NE fans breath a sigh of relief.

SUPER BOWL 51:

Patriots beat Falcons: 34-27

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

Don't have a good feeling about my Steelers' run defense this week. We allowed 200+ yards to the Browns. Granted, we were without our two best defensive linemen (and our third best for a limited amount of time), but the Dolphins rushing game is much stronger than the Browns.

Anyways, here's how I see the playoffs shaking out (assuming GB beats DET):

Wild Card

Dolphins < Steelers

Raiders < Texans

Lions Seahawks

Giants < Packers

Divisional

Texans Patriots

Steelers Chiefs

Packers Cowboys

Seahawks Falcons

Championship