2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

5 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I'm not a Falcons fan by any means, but I do love some good irony. Atlanta, the team from John Lewis's district, possibly going to the White House? Oooooo weeeeee.

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

That's a big if...more likely Trumpies Brady and Belichick patting backs with the President.  Sad.

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

Also he's one of the biggest Trump supporters in the NFL.

40 minutes ago, bwburke94 said:

What does that have to do with anything? If anything, that makes him more of a winner - Trump did win the election...

17 minutes ago, ElwoodCuse said:

Trump and Brady are both scumbags and that's without going near any of the deflating footballs baloney. But hey, Big Ben is a Trump guy too, just more low-key, and also a rapist so there was no good choice here.

For :censored:'s sake, does everything on the Internet have to be politicized nowadays? I know it's always happened to some degree, but it's gotten insufferable over the last four years. This is a football thread - whether you like or dislike the current president has nothing to do with the playoffs at all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

For :censored:'s sake, does everything on the Internet have to be politicized nowadays? I know it's always happened to some degree, but it's gotten insufferable over the last four years. This is a football thread - whether you like or dislike the current president has nothing to do with the playoffs at all.

It's merely been hours old & already I'm tired of seeing North v South, Union v Confederates, etc online about the game.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

7 hours ago, Brass said:

I'm very lucky to see my favorite football team head to a ninth Super Bowl. I like the Falcons and am hoping for a great matchup. Should be a really great game! Good luck, ATL!

I respect you sir, for not being a stereotypical, Goodell wants to murder us, Brady's the greatest human in history, every other team in the league must bow before us Patriots fan. I have had an impassioned hatred for the Patriots for years, but guys like you remind me that not every Pats fan is as insufferable as we make them out to be. 

Now that that's been said, go the heck Falcons. RISE UP

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

I respect you sir, for not being a stereotypical, Goodell wants to murder us, Brady's the greatest human in history, every other team in the league must bow before us Patriots fan. I have had an impassioned hatred for the Patriots for years, but guys like you remind me that not every Pats fan is as insufferable as we make them out to be. 

Now that that's been said, go the heck Falcons. RISE UP

Thank you. I try to keep everything in perspective and just enjoy the ride. My dad grew up a diehard Patriots fan in the 1970s and 1980s and did a good job of making me realize that teams can A.) suck really bad and you should enjoy the highs when your team gets there and B.) that it's only sports and it doesn't even matter. I respect most of the people here, too. This is usually a good thread for discussion and I can 100% understand why some people might not like the Patriots. It makes sense.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

8 hours ago, jayjackson3 said:

It's going to be a fun two weeks knowing every other fan base is the country will be rooting for my team. Rise Up. 

America's Team!

For two week anyway...

As a neutral fan, I'd like to see the wealth spread...I am neither a Pats fan nor hater...just Pats fatigued.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm so fatigued by the Patriots. I find them so boring and they've kind of killed my interest in the NFL, among many other factors. Like if the Patriots can just plug in a lacrosse player at wide receiver and still win then what's the point in paying attention to the draft? What's the point of following an AFC team when the chances of advancing to the Super Bowl require a ridiculous amount of luck? It's like Belichick and Brady got bored with playing with good players because it was too easy so now they're playing on All Madden and seeing how far they can go with a band of tiny white wide receivers and nameless defense. 

It all just feels so pointless. 

I'll watch the game. Go Falcons, but also call me in 5 years when Brady finally retires. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The Patriots' alleged cheating honestly isn't even on my top 10 list of reasons why I can't stand the Patriots.

Don't want to start a crap show, but what are your top 10 reasons?

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm so fatigued by the Patriots. I find them so boring and they've kind of killed my interest in the NFL, among many other factors. Like if the Patriots can just plug in a lacrosse player at wide receiver and still win then what's the point in paying attention to the draft? What's the point of following an AFC team when the chances of advancing to the Super Bowl require a ridiculous amount of luck? It's like Belichick and Brady got bored with playing with good players because it was too easy so now they're playing on All Madden and seeing how far they can go with a band of tiny white wide receivers and nameless defense. 

I'll watch the game. Go Falcons, but also call me in 5 years when Brady finally retires. 

This is pretty much where I'm at with the patriots. Deflategate was a stupid witch hunt and it doesn't bother me and I don't really dislike the patriots per se. Tom Brady is great and belicheck is great but the patriots are boring. The team has no personality and is winning with a bunch of nobodies. I'm not going to deny it's special but it's definitely not exciting or fun to watch for a non-patriots fan.

The only thing I have to look forward to right now is the draft. So I'm supposed to hope we draft a really good player at 9 so we can still lose to whatever rando plug the Pats get at 32?  

The last time I felt this sort of sports nihilism was around 2003 when it felt like being a fan of anyone besides the Yankees was mostly pointless and I didn't fully check back in on baseball until around 2008/2009. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I agree. What annoys me in sports; is a lack of parity. The only team that was not QB'ed by Brady, Big Ben, or Peyton to win the AFC title since the Raiders in 2002/2003; was the Ravens in 2012. A span of almost 15 years dominated by only THREE guys/THREE teams.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

29 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I agree. What annoys me in sports; is a lack of parity. The only team that was not QB'ed by Brady, Big Ben, or Peyton to win the AFC title since the Raiders in 2002/2003; was the Ravens in 2012. A span of almost 15 years dominated by only THREE guys/THREE teams.

Quarterback's always been the most important position on the field, but I feel like it's gotten much further down the road that for a team to have a chance it needs either a top-flight QB or every single other piece to fall into place via a perfect storm.  Maybe it's the same as it's always been, but four QBs from the AFC in 16 years is a pretty amazing parody-free run.

There's probably not much that can be done about it but it's frustrating that the majority of teams really should be trying their damnedest to improve that position since they are probably out-of-luck until they do.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

This is pretty much where I'm at with the patriots. Deflategate was a stupid witch hunt and it doesn't bother me and I don't really dislike the patriots per se. Tom Brady is great and belicheck is great but the patriots are boring. The team has no personality and is winning with a bunch of nobodies. I'm not going to deny it's special but it's definitely not exciting or fun to watch for a non-patriots fan.

"Winning with a bunch of nobodies" is a sure sign that the Patriots are doing it well.  But yeah, it's getting pretty stale.  

I also feel that the deflategate issue was blown out of proportion.  Teams/players do all sorts of analogous things that net them modest fines but because it was the Empire, fans lost their minds, media covered it ad nauseum and Goodell, making it up as he goes (as per usual), let that dictate the punishment.  

So I really have no beef with the Patriots.  But I can't imagine any neutral fan not at least getting a little burned out by this.  That's my primary issue.  My secondary issue is that if Brady gets one more Super Bowl win he'll be universally declared the GOAT...and I am not really there.  This is not a rip, but I do think he is to an extent, a product of the system and ring-counting is lazy.  Great?  Yes.  The undisputed GOAT?  I don't think so.

POTD (Shared)

11 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

"Winning with a bunch of nobodies" is a sure sign that the Patriots are doing it well.  But yeah, it's getting pretty stale.  

Exactly, the patriots run their franchise like a college football program, plugging in guys that fit the mold the best, not necessarily the most talented players. I have no doubt that their strict adherence to that philosophy and consistency throughout the entire organization are huge parts of their success, but it's their dominance is frustrating

6 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Exactly, the patriots run their franchise like a college football program, plugging in guys that fit the mold the best, not necessarily the most talented players. I have no doubt that their strict adherence to that philosophy and consistency throughout the entire organization are huge parts of their success, but it's their dominance is frustrating

Nothing stopping other organizations from trying to copy the Patriots model. Playing like a team isn't a hard concept.

4 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Nothing stopping other organizations from trying to copy the Patriots model. Playing like a team isn't a hard concept.

Aside from the "need to clone Tom Brady" part.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Aside from the "need to clone Tom Brady" part.

The Patriots model does not REQUIRE Tom Brady. The first four games of the season proved that. He does make it easier no doubt, but he's not an absolute.

Just now, bosrs1 said:

The Patriots model does not REQUIRE Tom Brady. The first four games of the season proved that. He does make it easier no doubt, but he's not an absolute.

They played 4 mediocre teams and went 3-1. (yes, I know the Dolphins and Texans made the playoffs, but I thought we all agreed the Dolphins were more or less smoke and mirrors and the Texans won the AFC South by default).  It proved nothing (aside from, "hey, maybe the Patriots had kind of an easy schedule this year.")

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This whole league blows, it's just one smart guy running up the score on a bunch of dumb guys and sometimes Aaron Rodgers does cool stuff and everyone dies an early death. That's it, that's the whole NFL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived