NBA D-League | Fort Wayne Mad Ants Rebrand

Go Red Sox!

A year ago, the Indiana Pacers purchased the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the D-League. Since many NBA teams have put their brand identity stamp on their respective D-League teams (e.g. Bulls, Spurs, Raptors), I decided to do the same with the Pacers: the Fort Wayne Mad Ants have become the Summit City Pacers. Why did I choose Summit City instead of Fort Wayne? Two reasons: Firstly, I didn't want to call them "Fort Wayne Pacers" because that sounds too much like "Fort Wayne Pistons" – and they existed from 1948-57. And secondly, because it's one of Fort Wayne's nicknames (when the Wabash and Erie canal was constructed, the highest point, summit, on the canal was at Fort Wayne). I think it also kind of sounds nice.

Summit%20City%20Pacers%20primary%20logo_

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I like how you have integrated the ball part of the Pacers P into the logo. The name sounds good, following the Bulls D-League team going with a nickname for the city. Awesome job, looks much cleaner than most of the D-League logos. I'd love to see your ideas for jerseys too.

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

Fort Wayne Mad Ants was the best name in sports! Fort Wayne is named for Revolutionary War hero "Mad" Anthony Wayne, so you get the Revolutionary Mad Anthony reference, which is super relevant to the city, but without needing to resort to generic patriots logos...and using something majorly underutilized - insect mascots, which are genuinely fearsome. 

Sure, your concept looks nice, and the presentation is good, but you just sucked all of the history and fun out of the identity to have a clone of the parent team.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

8 hours ago, Melody22B said:

I like how you have integrated the ball part of the Pacers P into the logo. The name sounds good, following the Bulls D-League team going with a nickname for the city. Awesome job, looks much cleaner than most of the D-League logos. I'd love to see your ideas for jerseys too.

Thanks, Melody22B. You mentioned the Bulls and that's the best example to describe what my intention has been.

5 hours ago, hockey week said:

Fort Wayne Mad Ants was the best name in sports! Fort Wayne is named for Revolutionary War hero "Mad" Anthony Wayne, so you get the Revolutionary Mad Anthony reference, which is super relevant to the city, but without needing to resort to generic patriots logos...and using something majorly underutilized - insect mascots, which are genuinely fearsome. 

Sure, your concept looks nice, and the presentation is good, but you just sucked all of the history and fun out of the identity to have a clone of the parent team.

Thanks, hockey week! I know about the team name and it's historical reference, but my goal was to put the parent club's identity stamp on the Mad Ants – regardless of how great, mediocre or bad the team name of the D-League team is. And by keeping their name "Mad Ants", this of course wouldn't have been possible. But I'm also aware of the fact that in reality a rebrand like this would have been absolutely unpopular among die-hard Mad Ants fans.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

The logo itself is clean and effective; it could pass as a secondary logo for the  NBA team if you changed the name.  I'm not ever going to like their use of silver though, so in a perfect world for me the star would be white, but the fact is it's a Pacers color so I can't fault you for using it. 

I am not entirely sold on the name you selected, however.  I think Fort Wayne Pacers is different enough from Fort Wayne Pistons; additionally, Summit City doesn't provide the same instant recognizability one receives with the Windy City Bulls.  I consider myself relatively knowledgeable when it comes to city nicknames, but I still had never heard that nickname before.  

Archived