2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Rueben Foster is dropping like a brick.  That situation he had at the Combine must have been something really major for him to fall this far.

San Francisco are trading up to grab him with the 30th pick

9 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

Takk is my new favorite player. He just wanted to keep his promise man. Richmond stand up!

That was nutz, I've never ever seen Deion have that look on his face since Tim McCarver got his ALS challenge bucket.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 minute ago, 2001mark said:

That was nutz, I've never ever seen Deion have that look on his face since Tim McCarver got his ALS challenge bucket.

It was definitely a moment, but I can't get on the guy considering his story. I do like how Deion handled it though. Talked him down and the kid received it.

12 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

Also my favorite team drafted my favorite food to help fix the defense. What a night.

Defense ain't fixed since Charlton is the replacement for either 2nd round busts Demarcus Lawrence (back surgery) and Randy Gregory (substances). Still need DB help too.

Just now, dfwabel said:

Defense ain't fixed since Charlton is the replacement for either 2nd round busts Demarcus Lawrence (back surgery) and Randy Gregory (substances). Still need DB help too.

I never said it was completely fixed. I said help fix.

4 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

It was definitely a moment, but I can't get on the guy considering his story. I do like how Deion handled it though. Talked him down and the kid received it.

(Deion) did as I flipped to TSN for the ESPN coverage & guy was out of breath quiet with Suzie.

btw, I was 97% NFL Network tonight... ESPN can diaf.

Just when the AFC South gets fun, they're no longer on every other TNF.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I did my normal routine draft "watching" as I have done the past 5 or 6 years. I watched the first few picks on TV (NFL Network), then checked my phone for draft pick updates, and then I get alert that the Seahawks trade put of the first round...AGAIN. I swear, as a Seahawks fan, I don't really have to watch the first round.

How did the setup in Phila come off on tv? I only saw the Eagles pick and all I noticed was the skyline shots were kinda limited and only from s few angles

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Congrats to Browns fans on (probably) not having a bad draft. I think the QBs you want are in next year's draft so one more year of suckitude and you should have your guy. 

Condolences to Bears fans for one of the worst draft moves I've ever seen. That was Costner in "Draft Day" nonsensical. The 49ers weren't going to take Trubisky. The Bears could've stayed at 3 and gotten him without giving up 3 picks, but for the sake of discussion let's say the 49ers were going to take Trubisky - Is that really the guy you're going to give up most of your draft to get? Is he that much better than Mahomes or Watson that you could've had at 3 instead? I don't think he is. And that's not even mentioning all of the guaranteed money you gave to Mike Glennon like a day ago. Get ready to hear "Bitch Trubisky!!!!" by a fat drunk guy in a counterfeit Bears jersey while pieces of sausage fall out of his mouth. 

The only thing I know about the Bengals and John Ross is that he had the fastest 40 time in combine history and I like freak show speed so I'm good. All of a sudden with Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eifert, and John Ross the Bengals are close to being back to the Green/Jones/Sanu monster WRs they had before Jones and Sanu left. Maybe with deep threats defenses will drop more guys into coverage and the Bengals will be able to run the ball again. Also, Ross, like Ken Griffey Jr and like me will be moving from Seattle to Cincinnati so we have that in common. 

Congrats to West Virginia and western Pennsylvania hillbillies for having a new white guy to fall in love with. I am going to hate the f*** out of JJ Watt's brother for the foreseeable future. 

Congrats to Garret Bolles on having sex with a human woman. 

I hate hate hate the Las Vegas Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers. 

I love Philadelphia booing Roger Goodell for over a minute.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A lot of Cowboys fans were complaining about the Taco pick; especially considering a good CB like Kevin King was still on the board.

Dallas was also deciding if they wanted TJ Watt; who they were also high on.

This is a good pick; and Charlton is the classic posterboy for Rod Marinelli. A young man who had a rollercoaster ride at school who can (hopefully) make the most out of his talent.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

10 hours ago, Brass said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel that this may be Brady's last season and they're just going all out to build a winner now.

- They threw money at a "bigger" free agent (Gilmore)

- They traded a first rounder for something other than more draft picks (Cooks)

- They haven't traded their heir apparent to the QB position when they could almost get a kings ransom for him (Garoppolo)

Hopefully I'm wrong, but this has been a very uncharacteristic-Patriots offseason.

I've been saying this to everyone I know. Nobody seems to believe me. I've never seen them act more "win now" than this. Don't forget keeping Butler when at any other point, they'd have let him walk and signing Gillislee. I really think that Brady has told Kraft and/or Belichick that he's done after this year, but to keep it quiet. He may want to go out on top a la John Elway on back-to-back SB's.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 minute ago, stumpygremlin said:

I've been saying this to everyone I know. Nobody seems to believe me. I've never seen them act more "win now" than this. Don't forget keeping Butler when at any other point, they'd have let him walk and signing Gillislee. I really think that Brady has told Kraft and/or Belichick that he's done after this year, but to keep it quiet. He may want to go out on top a la John Elway on back-to-back SB's.

Yes. I don't quite agree with the whole Brady playing until he is 45 or whatever narrative. Sure, he is in great shape but I think it may be important to him to finish his career in that same condition. The Patriots probably know this and they will try to get him one last ring before he calls it a career.

7 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Yes. I don't quite agree with the whole Brady playing until he is 45 or whatever narrative. Sure, he is in great shape but I think it may be important to him to finish his career in that same condition. The Patriots probably know this and they will try to get him one last ring before he calls it a career.

I mean who does Brady think he is, Brett Favre? :P

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Condolences to Bears fans for one of the worst draft moves I've ever seen. That was Costner in "Draft Day" nonsensical. The 49ers weren't going to take Trubisky. The Bears could've stayed at 3 and gotten him without giving up 3 picks, but for the sake of discussion let's say the 49ers were going to take Trubisky - Is that really the guy you're going to give up most of your draft to get? Is he that much better than Mahomes or Watson that you could've had at 3 instead? I don't think he is. And that's not even mentioning all of the guaranteed money you gave to Mike Glennon like a day ago. Get ready to hear "Bitch Trubisky!!!!" by a fat drunk guy in a counterfeit Bears jersey while pieces of sausage fall out of his mouth. 

Someone on Mike & Mike this morning suggested that it's conceivable that another team was interested in moving into that slot.

But the rest of you point stands.  I get it with QBs.  I've watched the Packers contend every single year (save one Rodgers injury) for nearly 25 years because they've had two Hall of Fame QBs.  I don't fault a team fro drafting a guy with the 10th pick even if the "experts" think he's the 25th best player.  It's a QB league. I used to get frustrated with the Vikings not taking QBs so when I knew they were reaching on Christian Ponder, I was OK with that.  I get tired of the pundits talking about "value over need."  If the Bears wanted to reach on Trubisky, OK, but sometimes you gotta just let the draft happen.  To give up a bunch of stuff just to move up one pick and take a shot at a marginal prospect?  I'd have let the Bears off the hook for taking him at #3.  But if some team's going to give up too much to move into the second slot, let them do it.  This is not Payton Manning.

If Trubisky turns out to be Brady or Russell Wilson, then the Bears get the last laugh.  I'd literally want my team to trade three entire drafts worth of picks to get a guy like that.  But that's like a 1% chance.  The Bears should have let the draft come to them.  If he was available at #3, fine.  Otherwise, either take a shot at a different QB or fill another need.  Taking chances on the position is one thing, but you can't mortgage too much of your future on it.

I'm sure Packer fans are laughing their asses off at this.  They like doing that when their division rivals do something stupid.  And with the Bears, Lions, and Vikings, the opportunities are endless.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Plus Martin and Winston, that's a playoff caliber offense there. 

Martin is likely gone due to that Adderall issue last season. 

You'll see them draft a RB today (not named Dalvin Cook, Im questionable on the injury history).  Take that guy from Toledo or Marlon Mack from South Florida.

31 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Someone on Mike & Mike this morning suggested that it's conceivable that another team was interested in moving into that slot.

But the rest of you point stands.  I get it with QBs.  I've watched the Packers contend every single year (save one Rodgers injury) for nearly 25 years because they've had two Hall of Fame QBs.  I don't fault a team fro drafting a guy with the 10th pick even if the "experts" think he's the 25th best player.  It's a QB league. I used to get frustrated with the Vikings not taking QBs so when I knew they were reaching on Christian Ponder, I was OK with that.  I get tired of the pundits talking about "value over need."  If the Bears wanted to reach on Trubisky, OK, but sometimes you gotta just let the draft happen.  To give up a bunch of stuff just to move up one pick and take a shot at a marginal prospect?  I'd have let the Bears off the hook for taking him at #3.  But if some team's going to give up too much to move into the second slot, let them do it.  This is not Payton Manning.

If Trubisky turns out to be Brady or Russell Wilson, then the Bears get the last laugh.  I'd literally want my team to trade three entire drafts worth of picks to get a guy like that.  But that's like a 1% chance.  The Bears should have let the draft come to them.  If he was available at #3, fine.  Otherwise, either take a shot at a different QB or fill another need.  Taking chances on the position is one thing, but you can't mortgage too much of your future on it.

I'm sure Packer fans are laughing their asses off at this.  They like doing that when their division rivals do something stupid.  And with the Bears, Lions, and Vikings, the opportunities are endless.

It may have been that someone else wanted to trade into 2, but it's still only one team in front of you, not a handful you'd have to sit through and hope your guy falls and that hypothetical trade team may have been trading up for another guy. If you're the Bears what about Mitch Trubisky and his 13 college starts says "we have to trade everything because this is the next great NFL QB and we can't risk the one slot in front of us taking him"? According to Deadspin they only worked him out once and barely spoke to him http://deadspin.com/why-did-the-bears-give-up-so-much-for-mitch-trubisky-1794738334. I think they may have gotten tricked by the 49ers. 

I could be wrong and he could be a hall of famer super bowl winning quarterback, but they probably could've still had him at 3 without giving up the rest of the draft. I mean, even the Browns, the other team lost in the QB woods didn't want him. What's that tell you? Other comparable QBs, who I think are better could've been had if Trubisky had gone at 2. 

I get trying to find a franchise QB that'll stabilize the city for the next decade plus, but like you said you gotta let the draft come to you. I think the value of those four picks they gave up will ultimately be worth more in the long run than Trubisky. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold over the years. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived