2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

Oh, would you look at this...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786846/article/jaguars-to-trade-julius-thomas-to-dolphins

He did have a good amount of success under Gase when they were in Denver... but they also had Peyton Manning as QB. We'll just have to see how this goes, but Miami did need an upgrade at the TE position.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Top 3 things I'd like to see done by the Redskins to the offense this offseason:

1. Resign QB Kirk Cousins to a 5 year $55 million guaranteed contract

2a. Let WR Desean Jackson walk

2b. Lure WR Alshon Jeffrey away from Chicago

3. Use the franchise tag on WR Pierre Garçon

That's one helluvah pipe dream...Cousins signing that deal.

Cousins performed at a level the last couple years that gets QB's $20 million per.  The franchise tag would be $24 million.  There are a handful of teams that would throw big money at Cousins if the Redskins try to do things cheap.  And the Redskins will risk becoming the Texans/Jets/Bears/Vikings if they let their "answer at QB" walk.

What's the backup plan for QB if Cousins is somewhere else?

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

That's one helluvah pipe dream...Cousins signing that deal.

Cousins performed at a level the last couple years that gets QB's $20 million per.  The franchise tag would be $24 million.  There are a handful of teams that would throw big money at Cousins if the Redskins try to do things cheap.  And the Redskins will risk becoming the Texans/Jets/Bears/Vikings if they let their "answer at QB" walk.

What's the backup plan for QB if Cousins is somewhere else?

If I read it right, Cousins doesn't want to get a long term deal done before signing the Franchise Tag. It's a little selfish... they could easily use the tag on someone else.

I hate to say, but the only viable FA Options would be Tony Romo or Jay Cutler IF released by their respective teams.

As far as trade options go, I'd rather them not give the 1st Round pick the Patriots are asking for for Jimmy Garoppolo.

It's a known fact that if Cousins walks away, the Redskins are put between a rock and a very hard place.

It would be stupid for the Redskins to let Cousins walk. For a team that's on the cusp of competing, you'd have to put all your trust in either a very young QB from the draft pool or an old/mediocre QB from FA. I don't see them trading for Garappolo or anyone else. 

Receiver is now an issue. If you let both Garçon and Jackson walk, your WR1 is Crowder (who's not a WR1 on the depth chart). You have to franchise tag one of them, most likely Garçon. They have some young WR depth, so maybe one of them can mature into a WR3. 

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

If I read it right, Cousins doesn't want to get a long term deal done before signing the Franchise Tag. It's a little selfish... they could easily use the tag on someone else.

I hate to say, but the only viable FA Options would be Tony Romo or Jay Cutler IF released by their respective teams.

As far as trade options go, I'd rather them not give the 1st Round pick the Patriots are asking for for Jimmy Garoppolo.

It's a known fact that if Cousins walks away, the Redskins are put between a rock and a very hard place.

Simply put, if teams want to stay relevant, they find their answer at QB and they break the bank for him.  That's life in the NFL today.  Hell, the QB position is so important to teams that Buffalo made Tyrod Taylor...a middle-of-the-road QB at best.....a $100 million man.  Average and better QB's make $20+ million.

There's not going to be a more important offseason transaction for the Redskins than coming to terms with Cousins.  The Redskins won't be in better shape with Romo or Cutler, two guys up there in age and huge injury red flags.  You might get a season or two of good play from them, if you're lucky.  Then, come 2018-19, you're looking for a QB again.  You become the situation where the Texans or Jets, amongst others, are currently in.  If you're not going to sign Cousins, you'll be better off doing a complete tear-down and start acquiring picks and young players, because the Redskins won't go anywhere with any other available QB's.

The Redskins have around $67 million in available cap space, I believe.  Cousins is going to command about $24 million of that, but that's the price of doing winning business in today's NFL.  Plus, do you really want to tag old man Garcon and be on the hook for $15 million on him?

I don't think Dallas cuts Romo.  It'll cost them too much.  No idea what Chicago will do.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

No idea what Chicago will do.

Cutler will be traded for a 5th to, say, Houston.  Maybe a 6th. Or cut.  In that order.

They'll try to trade down from 3 on draft day, a deal will fall apart to trade down, they panic trying to trade with New England for JG, but it too collapses.  In a panic they use the 3rd overall pick on Jamal Adams.  They try and fail to trade back up into the middle 1st to take Mahomes.  Watson is still on the board as we go into round two, but the Vikings trade up ahead of them to take Watson.  The cuckolded Bears reluctantly take a cornerback in round two.

Round 3 comes and the best QB available is Natan Peterman.  The Bears trade down to stack picks.

Fast forward to round 5.  The Bears take Joshua Dobbs in a major reach and pathetically phone up the Bengals hoping they'll take a bunch of 2018 stuff for McCarron, as the Patriots have already traded JG to the Browns by this point.

The Bengals say no.  The Bears, now without the option of Hoyer, go into the preseason with a QB depth chart of Connor Shaw, Matt Barkley, and Joshua Dobbs.  

They finish the season 4-12; the coaching staff is fired.  Ryan Pace is kept on.  The team hires some guy who is just another hire.  

Fast forward to 2023.  The Bears haven't had a winning season since Lovie Smith.  The team is moved to Toronto and the fat, stupid fans of Chicago all bemoan that they have become the new Browns, but are slightly happy in that the McCaskeys can no longer ruin their lives.  Virginia McCaskey is now 100 years old.

The year is now 2030.  The NFL, by now in a bit of bind, observes Tom Brady winning his 18th Super Bowl.  The Bears are awarded an expansion franchise and the new owner will be - oh dammit - Jerry Reinsdorf, now 94 years old.  The team hires Kenny Williams to be their GM, and appoints a graying Mike Singletary head coach.  The team uses their 1st overall pick to draft Shemp Buckforth, considered by many the greatest QB prospect to ever graced the earth.  He dazzles in his media tours and puts on a showcase in camp.  The Bears have finally found their quarterback.

Shemp Buckforth is killed in a drunk driving accident with Chance The Rapper two days before the first preseason contest against the Manchester Monarchs (formerly Jaguars).  The Bears then resume going ~.500 for another 50 years before a meteor destroys the planet.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 2/21/2017 at 9:46 AM, CS85 said:

Cutler will be traded for a 5th to, say, Houston.  Maybe a 6th. Or cut.  In that order.

They'll try to trade down from 3 on draft day, a deal will fall apart to trade down, they panic trying to trade with New England for JG, but it too collapses.  In a panic they use the 3rd overall pick on Jamal Adams.  They try and fail to trade back up into the middle 1st to take Mahomes.  Watson is still on the board as we go into round two, but the Vikings trade up ahead of them to take Watson.  The cuckolded Bears reluctantly take a cornerback in round two.

Round 3 comes and the best QB available is Natan Peterman.  The Bears trade down to stack picks.

Fast forward to round 5.  The Bears take Joshua Dobbs in a major reach and pathetically phone up the Bengals hoping they'll take a bunch of 2018 stuff for McCarron, as the Patriots have already traded JG to the Browns by this point.

The Bengals say no.  The Bears, now without the option of Hoyer, go into the preseason with a QB depth chart of Connor Shaw, Matt Barkley, and Joshua Dobbs.  

They finish the season 4-12; the coaching staff is fired.  Ryan Pace is kept on.  The team hires some guy who is just another hire.  

Fast forward to 2023.  The Bears haven't had a winning season since Lovie Smith.  The team is moved to Toronto and the fat, stupid fans of Chicago all bemoan that they have become the new Browns, but are slightly happy in that the McCaskeys can no longer ruin their lives.  Virginia McCaskey is now 100 years old.

The year is now 2030.  The NFL, by now in a bit of bind, observes Tom Brady winning his 18th Super Bowl.  The Bears are awarded an expansion franchise and the new owner will be - oh dammit - Jerry Reinsdorf, now 94 years old.  The team hires Kenny Williams to be their GM, and appoints a graying Mike Singletary head coach.  The team uses their 1st overall pick to draft Shemp Buckforth, considered by many the greatest QB prospect to ever graced the earth.  He dazzles in his media tours and puts on a showcase in camp.  The Bears have finally found their quarterback.

Shemp Buckforth is killed in a drunk driving accident with Chance The Rapper two days before the first preseason contest against the Manchester Monarchs (formerly Jaguars).  The Bears then resume going ~.500 for another 50 years before a meteor destroys the planet.

^ 100% This

As much as ESPN want the Bears get J.Allen, if Watson is still up there, get him. Move on from the Jay Culter era.

23 hours ago, smoke072 said:

^ 100% This

As much as ESPN want the Bears get J.Allen, if Watson is still up there, get him. Move on from the Jay Culter era.

Watson is Matt Leinart.  Best immediate return but likely only a guy that would take you to 8-8 football; won't ever put a team over the top.  Trubisky will either be Drew Brees or Blaine Gabbert.  Mahomes will either be Brett Favre or Colin Kaepernick.

21 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

The bears are looking for trade opportunities but, Cutler is rejecting the trades. They probably need to release him

It's Cutler's right, and honestly after 2 seasons of John Fox desperately trying to unman him, if I were Jay I'd be giving the team the finger, too.

28 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's smart on Cutler's behalf; he controls his own destiny. Though, he's definitely done in Chicago (finally).

He was done in Chicago as soon as they Hoyer took a single snap.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

FA Adrian Peterson... SI makes a decent try of destinations...

Cowboys

Giants

Patriots

Packers
Jets

Raiders

I actually think he'd be best suited for the Giants, & while the Patriots seem enticing, he might see weird touch totals & plays, wondering if he could be playing more elsewhere.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

59 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

FA Adrian Peterson... SI makes a decent try of destinations...

Cowboys

Giants

Patriots

Packers
Jets

Raiders

I actually think he'd be best suited for the Giants, & while the Patriots seem enticing, he might see weird touch totals & plays, wondering if he could be playing more elsewhere.

The Buccaneers seem to be an option too, if Martin isn't resigned.

And it looks like Jamaal Charles' tenure in Kansas City is over. He's the franchises' all-time rushing leader. I wonder if he's gonna hang it up (probably not, but I don't know where he'll go).

Rumor has it the Redskins want a huge return for Kirk Cousins if they decide to trade him. Knowing how bogus the team can be, I would expect they want at least two 1st round picks.

Piggybacking off that and going into the GM mindset, I'd tell teams I'd want two 1st round picks and one of your top safeties.

Also, it's weird that the Redskins won't give Cousins what he wants considering they have a money happy history with big name free agents.

Archived