2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

Oh, okay. "Stiffs" was a worse word than "white," really. Neither were necessary.

My point -- that I lost -- is that Romo is this great venerated player by the Cowboys fanbase, except that he never won anything. My assumption is his career numbers compare closely to the guys I mentioned; the only difference is those guys won conference titles and Romo couldn't hold an extra point.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I know that Tony Romo had good numbers, but he never won anything. And with a franchise like the Cowboys, it seems like that would be a prerequisite for the near universal love he gets from the fanbase. I've never understood the softspot Cowboys fans had for him; at least guys like Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Drew Bledsoe and other white stiffs won a conference championship.

What did Romo ever do?

Before Romo, it basically the list of Browns QBs you see added on that fan's jersey.

After Aikman was decapitated by Jeremiah Trotter in Week 1 in the 2000 season (and repeated later in the year by LaVar Arrington), they had the following dudes under center:

Randall Cunningham

Anthony Wright

Clint Stoerner

Drew  Henson

Chad Hutchison

Vinny Testaverde

Ryan Leaf

Quincy Carter

Drew Bledsoe

*Tony Banks was signed too, only to get cut like three days into training camp.

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I know that Tony Romo had good numbers, but he never won anything. And with a franchise like the Cowboys, it seems like that would be a prerequisite for the near universal love he gets from the fanbase. I've never understood the softspot Cowboys fans had for him; at least guys like Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Drew Bledsoe and other white stiffs won a conference championship.

What did Romo ever do?

He's endeared himself to us for being an excellent QB, first and foremost, displaying an uncommon toughness at the position (like this one time where he punctured a lung, broke a few ribs, and came back into the game to lead the Cowboys to a comeback win, on the road, over the Harbaugh-Era 49ers in 2011), and the rare ability to create something out of nothing, or to create "magic", if you will. Couple that with Tony being a really likable guy and a class act to boot, it shouldn't really be that difficult to understand why he's so revered by Cowboy fans.

This might be a little boring, but here are some stats of Romo that others have compiled that both show his underrated greatness and why he's never won a title with the Cowboys. The last 3 really emphasize the Cowboys' true weaknesses (hint: it's not Romo and never has been Romo).

- Most career passing touchdowns in franchise history
- Most career passing yards in franchise history
- The only QB in NFL history with 3+ TD’s and 0 INT’s in 4 consecutive road games.
- Holds the longest streak of consecutive games – including playoffs – with a 60+ completion % in NFL history.
- The first QB in NFL history with 2 different streaks of 17+ games with a 60+ completion %.
- Has the 4th highest career completion % in NFL history.
- Has the 3rd highest passer rating in NFL history.
- Only QB with a 135+ passer rating in 6 games in a season. Only 2 other QB’s have had more than 4 (Peyton Manning and Steve Young, both with 5)
- The only player in NFL history with 4+ game winning drives in 4 consecutive seasons.
- Highest 4th quarter passer rating in NFL history.
- Holds the NFL record for the most consecutive road games with a passing TD (41).
- Tied for 3rd most seasons in NFL history with a passer rating over 90 (9).
- Tied for the 4th longest streak in NFL history for consecutive seasons with a 60+ completion % (10).
- Tied for the 2nd longest streak in NFL history of consecutive seasons with a 60+ completion % and a 90+ passer rating (9).
- Set the NFL record for highest passer rating in the month of December (133.7).
- The 9th QB since 1960 to lead the NFL in completion %, YPA and passer rating in the same season.
- One of 3 QB’s in NFL history to have a 60+ completion % in 15 games in a single season.
- 4-1 TD/INT ratio in the playoffs.
- 5th highest postseason completion % in NFL history – 65.3.
- 6th highest postseason YPA in NFL history – 7.9.
- 10th highest postseason passer rating in NFL history – 93.0.
- Only QB in NFL history with a 140+ passer rating and a 78+ completion % in a road playoff game.
- Only QB to lose a playoff game with a 125+ passer rating. The others were 68-0.
- Only QB in NFL history with a 113+ passer rating in the regular season and a 120+ passer rating in the playoffs in the same year.

EDIT: And dfwabel is right in that another reason for the attachment for Romo is that most of us remember that nightmare of a QB carousel that we endured beforehand. Romo gave us Pro-Bowl, All-Pro level of play from the QB position that we hadn't seen since Aikman.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Just a little ghost fella peeking out from behind a wall.

I don't see why their being white is germane. I mean, I do, I just don't think it accomplishes much. Kelly and Marino achieved a great deal in the league and I can't buy them as overrated for being white. (Bledsoe, I'll leave the door open.) I wouldn't talk about a Hall of Famer like he's Kyle Orton.

Some people just cannot let go of any sort of divisive, political-driven discussion.  This isn't the first time DG has gone out of the way to mention that someone's white to a sports discussion.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Before Romo, it basically the list of Browns QBs you see added on that fan's jersey.

After Aikman was decapitated by Jeremiah Trotter in Week 1 in the 2000 season (and repeated later in the year by LaVar Arrington), they had the following dudes under center:

Randall Cunningham

Anthony Wright

Clint Stoerner

Drew  Henson

Chad Hutchison

Vinny Testaverde

Ryan Leaf

Quincy Carter

Drew Bledsoe

*Tony Banks was signed too, only to get cut like three days into training camp.

Yeah, I was going to say, look at the list of Cowboys QB's before Romo took the helm.  Going from a Hall of Fame QB in Aikman to a couple of failed baseball players and Ryan Leaf.....things were ugly.

Throw a hungry man a bologna sandwich and he'll think it's steak.  That's why Romo was so well-liked....he was a right answer at QB.

This argument leads to one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to QB greatness. Winning Superbowl rings, or even playoff games, is not completely on the QB. Why are they judged like they are? I was not a huge Romo fan but a lot of failure should fall on Jerry Jones and the coaches (Garrett included). The postseason success measurement for a QB's legacy is such a tired one. 

Romo is not a HOFer and the cowboys never won anything, but he did bring a lot of excitement for the Cowboys fans for many years.

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Desean Jackson expected to sign with Tampa Bay.

With both Garçon and Jackson out of Washington, looks like it's time for Josh Doctson and Jamison Crowder to shine. Here's to hoping the Redskins can land at least a notable FA WR.

And if Cousins supposedly does get traded, I think the Redskins may find themselves at the bottom of the division next year. Like who would be their QB? McCoy? This has seriously been a disastrous off-season for them so far.

3 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

And if Cousins supposedly does get traded, I think the Redskins may find themselves at the bottom of the division next year. Like who would be their QB? McCoy? This has seriously been a disastrous off-season for them so far.

Their best bet would be to draft a QB in the 1st round at that point.

15 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Rumor has it, Browns may end up actually cutting Osweiler

When did the Browns GET Osweiler?

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

Archived