2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest, I thought the racing was relatively boring. Yeah, there was a lot of passing below the top, but each stage had the leader basically lead the whole way through. Nobody challenged for the lead on the track.

The option tire was an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how much excitement it actually added, save for the 2-tire changes that saw Bowyer and another driver fall like a lead balloon. I hated the ruling that Keselowski couldn't put the option tire back on after running for two caution laps only with it, since the laps didn't count.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

16 hours ago, Needschat said:

Hold the phone, we might have some controversy. 

Seems NASCAR missed something obvious after a stage.

HoldOn.jpg

As far as I know, loose lug nut penalties can only be assessed after the race, not during.

After the last pit stop I believe they went down and checked lugnuts. They did that after the pit stops atleast once.

I don't really think NASCAR needs an all star race. People have ideas to move it around or race on the quarter mile. Every race is an all star race. Give the drivers a week off or something.

EDIT:

I really really hate the average finish thing they've been doing. I wish they did an eliminator or random bracket cut up by segments. It's hard to follow if you have to come up with an average. Bowyer was upset cause he beat Logano 2/3 segments then lost on the tiebreaker on the final segment.

17 hours ago, dont care said:

As far as I know, loose lug nut penalties can only be assessed after the race, not during.

This was supposedly from the last stage, not the end of the race.  Kyle was supposed to have gone to the back of the pack, but wasn't.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Dale Jr himself said that Alex Bowman deserves to be in the 88 next year. I'm all for this and I think Rick Hendrick would listen to Jr's opinions.

Bowman looked very good in that car last year. He definitely deserves it.

I'd also like to see DiBenedetto and McDowell get shots with major teams as well, as they've shown themselves very well with smaller teams.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

An idea was floated that they should run the All-Star Race on the quarter mile track,  using Legends cars.  Another was to have it on the dirt track, have it open to the top 10 in XFinity and Trucks, along with some from WoO and other dirt racing series.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

the 2018 NASCAR National Series schedules have been released. Here is what changed on the Cup side, according to NASCAR.com:

• Richmond will host a Playoff Race.
  • Charlotte's second race will be run on the road course, being the First Round Elimination Race for the Chase.
  • Las Vegas' second race will kick-off the Chase.
  • Indy has been moved to the regular season finale in September.
  • Chicagoland will now be run July 1.
  • Dover's first race will be held between Talladega and Kansas rather than after Charlotte.
  • Daytona 500 to be run Presidents Day Weekend

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I'm super intrigued now.

I noticed the rumble strips on the road course in Charlotte looked in better shape going to turn 1 and inside the infield wall. I thought something was up. Might be cool.

Indy as the regular season finale is the biggest question mark.

Also not noted above was Daytona is moved to Presidents Day weekend.

3 minutes ago, raysox said:

Indy as the regular season finale is the biggest question mark.

Also not noted above was Daytona is moved to Presidents Day weekend.

Added the note re: Daytona.

as for Indy, I think there's potential. Right now it's just sitting in the middle of the schedule and the racing has lost its luster. Making it the regular season finale adds some excitement to it and will have people looking forward to it. Hopefully the product on the track improves, but this at least adds some anticipation to an event that was once one of the biggest races of the year. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

16 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Added the note re: Daytona.

as for Indy, I think there's potential. Right now it's just sitting in the middle of the schedule and the racing has lost its luster. Making it the regular season finale adds some excitement to it and will have people looking forward to it. Hopefully the product on the track improves, but this at least adds some anticipation to an event that was once one of the biggest races of the year. 

Indy as the last regular season race does one major thing...

Likely puts the Colts on the road for NFL week 1. IU, Purdue and ND all have Saturday home games too.

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Indy as the regular-season finale is the only thing I'm lukewarm about. Maybe moving the race to September could spice up the racing?

Indy Star points out part of what I said yesterday. But now you put yourself in football season with Indiana residents with IU, Purdue and ND game tix on that Saturday. Good job! IU host UVa, but Purdue and ND host MAC schools.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/05/23/nascar-moves-brickyard-400-september/337839001/

"In order, we think, to make it healthy again, we needed a more dramatic change," IMS President Doug Boles told IndyStar. "NASCAR offered us the opportunity to be the last race before the Chase, and they’re going to crown a regular season champion, which is pretty cool.

Boles said among the biggest reasons to reschedule the race was that many of the fans who were attending weren't enjoying themselves.

"The biggest complaints we get from customers: It’s too hot. So you get out of July and (into) September, (and that is) a big help for us. And then obviously you’ve got a reason to celebrate, where before you were just a race in the middle of the summer."

The average temperature in Indianapolis on Sept. 9 in 80 degrees, according to weatherspark.com. It's 84 degrees on July 23, the date of this year's Brickyard.   

On 5/23/2017 at 4:11 PM, mr.nascar13 said:

the 2018 NASCAR National Series schedules have been released. Here is what changed on the Cup side, according to NASCAR.com:

• Richmond will host a Playoff Race.
  • Charlotte's second race will be run on the road course, being the First Round Elimination Race for the Chase.
  • Las Vegas' second race will kick-off the Chase.
  • Indy has been moved to the regular season finale in September.
  • Chicagoland will now be run July 1.
  • Dover's first race will be held between Talladega and Kansas rather than after Charlotte.
  • Daytona 500 to be run Presidents Day Weekend

Richmond hosts a playoff race & we get rid of the day race in the spring race & go back to nights! I couldn't be happier!

Too bad Indy confirmed that it was going to be oval only, I would like to see the road course with these cars.

We have our hall of fame class for 2018

Robert Yates

Ken Squire

Ray Evernham

Red Byron

Ron Hornaday Jr.

baltimoreravens.png

Wow; I honestly thought Kulwicki was going to be a lock. Davey also had a really good chance to get in too. Disappointed that Rudd didn't get in.

But, there's always next year. Kulwicki and Allison have to be the frontrunners for the NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2019.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived