2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ross-chastain-surprises-himself-first-195008746.html

I didn't realize that Ross Chastain put together Premium Motorsports's best non-restictor plate finish ever. Good for him, and good for them. I wonder if he'll get more shots at the top level.

(If you haven't noticed, I root for the low-funding teams to do well.)

It's so funny because I was like "wow! Good for this guy, got some recognition and ran a single lap down the whole race."

That being said

Christopher Bell held off a hard-charging Chase Briscoe for his second wind of the season in the Truck Series... Or did he?

NINJA-Edit: the light ropes that are along the catch fence are out of sync with the actual caution lights NASCAR uses, so the catch fence light went off after NASCAR officially called the race. Brad Keselowski found that out, explained to the fans the process on Twitter, and accepted the result.

Still, it was some great racing between these young guns in the closing laps. Nearly dead even the last few miles until Peters wrecked in the tri-oval.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

On 06/05/2017 at 4:05 PM, DNAsports said:

Speaking of sponsorships, once Jr retires will all of his sponsors stay with the 88? The one I could see leaving is Nationwide considering how heavily tied together they are with the Earnhardt family.

Data shows that it is a diminishing audience in the stands and on TV, so why stay in the series?

Just renegotiate with him as a face of your product since he has a good Q rating. Dale, Jr., along with Jeff Gordon were NASCAR's "Most Marketable Drivers" since 2002.  You walk away from sport, not the man.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2002/10/Issue-30/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/Jeff-Gordon-Dale-Jr-Named-Most-Marketable-NASCAR-Drivers.aspx?

1 hour ago, Needschat said:

NASCAR needs to get a "Bubba and Blaney" show on somewhere!  They are gold individually,  but platinum together!  

It was called, "Hammer Down" and on Nickelodeon and was produced by NASCAR with Kelly Earnhardt's two kids hosting (Karsyn and Kennedy Elledge).

10 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

The light ropes that are along the catch fence are out of sync with the actual caution lights NASCAR uses, so the catch fence light went off after NASCAR officially called the race.

You'd think that NASCAR would test that at the tracks. Maybe they'll start to do that now?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

33 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

You'd think that NASCAR would test that at the tracks. Maybe they'll start to do that now?

It's not that, it's that the track runs the light ropes for the fans purposes, NASCAR runs the caution lights for safety purposes, they aren't a linked system. 

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

It was called, "Hammer Down" and on Nickelodeon and was produced by NASCAR with Kelly Earnhardt's two kids hosting (Karsyn and Kennedy Elledge).

Geared towards kids.  They need to make something for adults, get the Millenials interested. 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I thought today's race was great, and it was awesome to see Blaney nab his first win. The finish was a definite nail-biter, I honestly thought Harvick would get by him in the last couple laps. But Blaney drove his butt off. Congrats to Ryan and the Wood Bros!

ClAFLDa.png

Results from Pocono:

1. Blaney

2. Harvick

3. Jones

4. Kurt Busch

5. Keselowski

6.  Truex Jr.

7. Larson

8. Elliott

9. Kyle Busch

10. Kenseth

Stage 1 winner: Kyle Busch

Stage 2 winner: Larson

Blaney held on to get his first win. I know that wasn't easy holding off Harvick but boy did he ever. I think everyone was happy to see him win today, I figured it was only a matter of time. Congrats all around. Jimmie had a pretty scary wreck, as did Jamie Mac. Bubba was only a lap down but I think he did pretty good in his debut today. I'm hoping for good things from him.

Next up, Michigan

baltimoreravens.png

I was at my parents' house earlier, and they were watching the race.  Is Dale Jr still concussed?  I guess he crashed or had car issues, so he was being interviewed during the race, and he sounded confused and said the same things twice.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I was at my parents' house earlier, and they were watching the race.  Is Dale Jr still concussed?  I guess he crashed or had car issues, so he was being interviewed during the race, and he sounded confused and said the same things twice.

No I think it was just his own frustrations with his performance had him scatter brained. He talked about how it was his motion that was the problem, went into the equipment being the same so that couldn't be the problem, so he went back to the motion being the problem and how he wished it was just a equipment problem so that could get fixed a lot easier. 

Results from Michigan:

1. Larson

2. Elliott

3. Logano

4. Hamlin

5. McMurray

6. Truex Jr.

7. Kyle Busch

8. Stenhouse Jr.

9. Earnhardt Jr.

10. Johnson

Stage 1 & 2 winner: Truex Jr.

Larson vs. Elliott round 2. Larson beats him again, Larson just loves these 2 mile tracks. Truex had a good car but it looked like bad luck hit him. Little E in the top 10 as well. Larson is going to be a force to be reckon with, same with Truex Jr.

Next up: Sonoma

baltimoreravens.png

1 hour ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Results from Michigan:

1. Larson

2. Elliott

3. Logano

4. Hamlin

5. McMurray

6. Truex Jr.

7. Kyle Busch

8. Stenhouse Jr.

9. Earnhardt Jr.

10. Johnson

Stage 1 & 2 winner: Truex Jr.

Larson vs. Elliott round 2. Larson beats him again, Larson just loves these 2 mile tracks. Truex had a good car but it looked like bad luck hit him. Little E in the top 10 as well. Larson is going to be a force to be reckon with, same with Truex Jr.

Next up: Sonoma

Larson's car was good almost all day. Good on him.

I've got a couple of questions.

1) Anyone know what's up with Gray Gaulding? He was replaced by Ryan Sieg today, and will be replaced by Alon Day next week at Sonoma. (Fun fact, Alon Day will be the first Nascar Whelen Euro Series driver to race in the Monster Energy Cup Series.)

2) Speaking of Euro, does anyone know how I can stream the Euro, Canadian, and Mexican series online? Those series are much more road-course heavy, which interests me.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Larson's car was good almost all day. Good on him.

I've got a couple of questions.

1) Anyone know what's up with Gray Gaulding? He was replaced by Ryan Sieg today, and will be replaced by Alon Day next week at Sonoma. (Fun fact, Alon Day will be the first Nascar Whelen Euro Series driver to race in the Monster Energy Cup Series.)

2) Speaking of Euro, does anyone know how I can stream the Euro, Canadian, and Mexican series online? Those series are much more road-course heavy, which interests me.

From what I'm found it is the owner being really sleazy trying to save money by making the replacement

On 6/10/2017 at 0:00 AM, dfwabel said:

Data shows that it is a diminishing audience in the stands and on TV, so why stay in the series?

God, I hate these "NASCAR is dying" type posts.

Why stay in the series? 

1. NASCAR fans are very brand loyal. (Ask Tide, for example) Why would a company bail on that type of audience?
  2. Diminishing audience isn't the same as no audience. I'm sure plenty of teams would be willing to offer Jr's sponsors a good rate to stick around. This decline in ratings and attendance over the past few years was inevitable after the sport's unsustainable peak. I hate to break it to you, but the numbers will level off and the sport will stabilize. Sorry. 
  3. Ratings are down, but they're not terrible. Last week, 3.56 million people watched the race at Pocono (one of the more boring tracks on the circuit) - which was still more viewers than the May 31 Stanley Cup Finals game got. Is anyone suggesting that NHL sponsors bail out on a similar sized audience? 
  4. Despite its "problems", NASCAR is still a great place to advertise. Those are just a few reasons why you "stay in the series." 

BB52Big.jpg

14 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

1) They've cycled through a bunch of drivers with decent sponsors. Gase, LaJoie, and Seig all have raced for that team on top of Gaulding. The 83 won't be racing next week fwiw. But also next week we'll have a half Asian, Mexican, African American, and Israeli. Pretty cool.

2) Streaming would be through the local broadcasts, so if you have a TSN subscription, you're in luck. I know Euro posts race recaps on youtube though!

Archived