Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I can't read it because I'm not subscribed to the Wall Street Journal.

It talked about the things we know, like:

 

1- NASCAR did not get their asking price for title sponsorship for the Cup series.

 

2- Attendance is down, seating has been reduced by 25% since 2005. Ratings have fallen faster than any other major US sport.

 

What we didn't know:

1- The disconnect between the France siblings, Brian and Lesa is pretty deep on the business side.

 

2- While Brain is CEO of the series, he sold his share of NASCAR to his uncle, Bill, a decade ago. But this may have been done because he was getting divorced for the second time from the same woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One gripe I have with the Daytona organizers(who is owned by France) is how expensive all speedweeks events are. 500 tickets are expensive and I get that, but I imagine decreasing capacity at the track is a direct result of doing stuff like not having single admission Sunday for fans who bought tickets to the Qualifying and not the Clash. It was like 30 dollars extra per ticket to get in for both events, and it most definitely did not sell out.


I do like that kids 12 and under get in free for Xfinity and Truck races this year. That's a good call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Landon Cassill brought up an interesting concept. If there is a window for weather, run both duels at the same time. One starts on the front stretch, the other on the back stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Landon Cassill brought up an interesting concept. If there is a window for weather, run both duels at the same time. One starts on the front stretch, the other on the back stretch.

Do you like having huge wrecks because that is how you get huge wrecks. You will have all 42 drivers on the track at the same time with 7 of them fighting for a starting position while also trying to race the weather. There is too much stress in that situation to expect a clean race

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dont care said:

Do you like having huge wrecks because that is how you get huge wrecks. You will have all 42 drivers on the track at the same time with 7 of them fighting for a starting position while also trying to race the weather. There is too much stress in that situation to expect a clean race

The Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona says otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona says otherwise.

2 completely different animals, restrictor plate race vs. a road course. There is also no good way to start/restart the races, and no way you can end them, especially the one on the backstretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chase Elliott won Duel 1 while Denny Hamlin won Duel 2. I was impressed by Chase's driving abilities tonight. Managed to keep Harvick at bay & with some help from Jamie McMurray. Although he drives like a seasoned vet. Denny managed to pass a very strong Dale Jr. ironically thanks to a push from Austin Dillon. Clint Bowyer looked good in the 14. I thought it was good racing in both duels. I can't wait for Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Johnny Sauter is 2nd in points, while finishing 15th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ Allmendinger had a great run; finished 4th in his Duel, but failed post-race inspection. And according to the new points rule; he loses the points he got for finishing 4th and must start at the back of the field.

 

His teammate Chris Buescher also got zapped by the post-race inspectors as well as Truex Jr. Truex loses his points for his Top 10 finish in Duel #1. (Buescher finished 16th in the 1st Duel; so he loses no points.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JR Motorsports has five cars (1, 5, 7, 9, 88) in the Xfinity race at Daytona. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a rule in place to limit teams to four cars? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

AJ Allmendinger had a great run; finished 4th in his Duel, but failed post-race inspection. And according to the new points rule; he loses the points he got for finishing 4th and must start at the back of the field.

 

His teammate Chris Buescher also got zapped by the post-race inspectors as well as Truex Jr. Truex loses his points for his Top 10 finish in Duel #1. (Buescher finished 16th in the 1st Duel; so he loses no points.)

So they lose points in a non points race?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dont care said:

So they lose points in a non points race?

Starting this year, the two duel races are considered points races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NASCAR had an issue with how long races run since they're too d@mn long.

 

So they make changes which cause more wrecks and apparently more red flags.

 

Genius!

 

EDIT: In 90 real time minutes, they ran 29 laps and had two red flags.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

NASCAR had an issue with how long races run since they're too d@mn long.

 

So they make changes which cause more wrecks and apparently more red flags.

 

Genius!

 

EDIT: In 90 real time minutes, they ran 29 laps and had two red flags.

 

I don't think those can be blamed on the stages. The first big wreck was caused by Lagasse who proved last night that he's horrible at drafting. The second was caused by Hemric (rookie) letting his car drift too high. This is a mix of young drivers racing with cars that were recently changed on a fast and tricky track that they hardly got to practice on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PSUcelticsWON95 said:

I don't think those can be blamed on the stages. The first big wreck was caused by Lagasse who proved last night that he's horrible at drafting. The second was caused by Hemric (rookie) letting his car drift too high. This is a mix of young drivers racing with cars that were recently changed on a fast and tricky track that they hardly got to practice on.

Yep. Hemric's crash happened going into an area where a crash just occured and could've hit oil. Not to mention they have a new aero package. Brad K bumped Brennan Poole square and turned him near the end of segment 2. On the radio during red he said that there wasn't enough rear downforce in those cars. Not to mention half the field is under 24 or whatever They aren't acclimated to the cars yet. More seat time is needed for the younger guys. Restrictor plate races down the line generally have less action in the lower series than what we saw today and yesterday.

 

I'm a super optimist about the new rules, and I didn't necessarily think anything was broken. It's a shame the two races this weekend ran like that, but consider that the Duels and Clash with segments there were minimal crashes, so the Cup guys should straighten everything out. I'm genuinely excited for the race tomorrow. I think it'll validate every change people are complaining about with such a small sample size. If not, they try it next week and if it works they make a rule change saying plate races aren't segmented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silver spoon racers complaining about not having enough down force. Jesus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jc... said:

Silver spoon racers complaining about not having enough down force. Jesus. 

that's what they get for saying they want the cars to be more driver dependent and wanted downforce taken out of the cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dont care said:

that's what they get for saying they want the cars to be more driver dependent and wanted downforce taken out of the cars.

Last year's had too much downforce and if you've seen this year's in comparison it's insanely small. Think they just need to find a happy medium like Cup cars.

 

also Brad a silver spoon driver? His dad raced Nascar and had one lifetime win. He worked in a race shop and started racing like dad. I get you just want something to complain about, but why not lump all the second generation drivers like Ragan, Truex into the same category? That's like saying Dale Earnhardt only got a ride because his nascar racing father paid for it. Like it's ludacris to say that when you have guys like Paul Menard being mediocre but still have a seat cause his dad writes the checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.