Jump to content

2017 NASCAR Season Thread


rvrdgsfn
 Share

Recommended Posts

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/18767256/circuit-americas-nascar-race-update

 

"I don't blame them for wanting NASCAR races, it's just that they're 20 years too late," Gossage said Monday. "I don't think they know the business, or they wouldn't be saying such things."

TMS and NASCAR are entering the second year of a five-year deal, and Gossage said that the track is "protected contractually" from NASCAR adding an additional race within the region.

 

Now I want COTA from the get go, now I really want this to happen just to shut Eddie up....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2017 at 5:05 AM, buckeye said:

They won't be able to do it for a couple more seasons because of the 5 year agreement with tracks on the schedule now. But, that may be just enough time to get a deal done with the likes of COTA to get on the schedule in the future.

COTA received nearly five times the state subsidy as TMS when it opened and four times as much today. (Yea, Texas still openly subsidizes for sporting events under Gov. Abbott). COTA owners were caught off guard in year 1 when the average hotel stay was only three nights, not the five nights they told local and state politicians. The track loses money even with the state covering the majority of the F1 hosting fee.  If COTA gets just a Monster Cup date, the track gets about $16M in TV money, which is about four times what they would bring in from the race gate or a weekend festival.  COTA lost the X Games too, so there goes even more money. 

 

 

That's Gossage's primary complaint. However, in two years, COTA may be bankrupt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2017 at 5:03 PM, cubsfan2015 said:

...is the 15 car going to run any more races this year?

According to the Atlanta entry list, yes. It'll be driven by Reed Sorenson and, as of right now, should get in the race as there's only 39 cars on the list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of people don't like seeing road courses on the NASCAR circuit, but to me it should be used to draw interest from those who say "NASCAR isn't a sport. They only go left".

 

 

In other small news: JR Motorsports announces sponsorship expansion with Axalta. The paint company will now sponsor William Byron's #9 for 15 races this season and next season starting at Phoenix Raceway (March 18).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know drivers have said "They don't dream about the road courses when they want to get into NASCAR"

 

I think the opinions are starting to change with the amount of people that have won on road courses in the last 10 years. I think the RCs have the highest percentage of good races on any track type. Partially being sloppy, partially to the strategies that play out that are unique to those races. I just hope Charlotte's infield course isn't seen as a permanent thing because that layout is ass.

Charlotte-RoadCourse15.95dc7f0425b48933d

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, raysox said:

I know drivers have said "They don't dream about the road courses when they want to get into NASCAR"

 

I think the opinions are starting to change with the amount of people that have won on road courses in the last 10 years. I think the RCs have the highest percentage of good races on any track type. Partially being sloppy, partially to the strategies that play out that are unique to those races. I just hope Charlotte's infield course isn't seen as a permanent thing because that layout is ass.

Charlotte-RoadCourse15.95dc7f0425b48933d

 

 

T1-T2 intersecting pit road. Genius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm, more schedule/track news....

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/nascar/las-vegas-close-landing-second-top-tier-nascar-race

 

Las Vegas is close to getting a second top-tier NASCAR race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway beginning in 2018.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority board of directors has scheduled a special meeting for Wednesday to consider a seven-year $2.5 million annual sponsorship agreement with NASCAR that would include the addition of a fall race at the speedway.

 

Since 1998, NASCAR has had a Las Vegas race, usually in March. This year’s race, the Kobalt 400, a part of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race series, is March 12.

While key figures aren’t talking specifics, the proposed contract that will be put to the 14-member board’s vote Wednesday provides some detail.

 

The sponsorship and marketing agreement would dedicate $1 million per race, plus $500,000 a year to market both the spring and fall races, beginning Jan. 1 for seven years with an option for three additional years.

The contract would be for “two NASCAR first-tier (currently Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series) sanctioned races at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway every year during the term of this agreement.”

The agreement said the LVCVA would pay the first fee installment of the total $17.5 million commitment “beginning with the 2018 races.”

 

I wonder what track gets to lose one race or gone altogether? (Hopes for New Hampshire)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Hmmm, more schedule/track news....

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/nascar/las-vegas-close-landing-second-top-tier-nascar-race

 

Las Vegas is close to getting a second top-tier NASCAR race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway beginning in 2018.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority board of directors has scheduled a special meeting for Wednesday to consider a seven-year $2.5 million annual sponsorship agreement with NASCAR that would include the addition of a fall race at the speedway.

 

Since 1998, NASCAR has had a Las Vegas race, usually in March. This year’s race, the Kobalt 400, a part of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race series, is March 12.

While key figures aren’t talking specifics, the proposed contract that will be put to the 14-member board’s vote Wednesday provides some detail.

 

The sponsorship and marketing agreement would dedicate $1 million per race, plus $500,000 a year to market both the spring and fall races, beginning Jan. 1 for seven years with an option for three additional years.

The contract would be for “two NASCAR first-tier (currently Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series) sanctioned races at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway every year during the term of this agreement.”

The agreement said the LVCVA would pay the first fee installment of the total $17.5 million commitment “beginning with the 2018 races.”

 

I wonder what track gets to lose one race or gone altogether? (Hopes for New Hampshire)

 

I hope it is a Pocono race.

 

NHMS is the Speedway Motorsport Inc. option, but like ESPN, NBCSN has their HQ and campus in Connecticut (Stamford), so they may play the bully for a two weeks of greater driver access.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I hope it is a Pocono race.

 

NHMS is the Speedway Motorsport Inc. option, but like ESPN, NBCSN has their HQ and campus in Connecticut (Stamford), so they may play the bully for a two weeks of greater driver access.

I hope New Hampshire gets replaced by Las Vegas, but then Las Vegas and Homestead-Miami get swapped. Ending the season at Las Vegas seems logical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Results from Atlanta:

1. Keselowski

2. Larson

3. Kenseth

4. Kahne

5. Elliott

6. Logano

7. Kurt Busch

8. Truex Jr.

9. Harvick

10. McMurray

 

Session 1 & 2 Winner: Harvick

 

Tire wear & speeding penalties abound. Most of these drivers had some type of issue & because of a speeding penalty, it cost Harvick a win. Most of theses guys came back from these issues like Kes & Kenseth, that was impressive.

Next up, the west coast swing begins in Las Vegas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kyle Larson should be undefeated in 2017. He ran low all day then he gets the lead with 6 to go and immediately heads for the high line. From there, it was just a matter of time before Keselowski ran him down - just like Kurt Busch ran him down at Daytona last week. Unreal. I can't decide if Larson panics when he gets the lead or if he and his crew just aren't very bright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes it seems AJ's team can't get out of their own way. They got penalized after their Duel Race. And now they got penalized again. This time they left a few lug nuts loose during post-race inspection. Which means Randall Burnett will be forced to sit out the next three races, and AJ loses points for the second time in a month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.