2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article saying they'll change the configuration,  I guess. It mentioned that "The majority of the lap won't be on the oval" which is interesting. Definitely a different option to the whole "add a road course to the chase". There's like, what?  Four on 1.5 mile tri-ovals? That round in the playoffs would go road course Charlotte-Talladega-Kansas. Imagine a guy like Allmendinger advancing on points and winning in that round. Game changer.

10 hours ago, raysox said:

Imagine a guy like Allmendinger advancing on points and winning in that round. Game changer.

AJ is now the ace road course racer on the circuit right now. Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart retired. Marcos Ambrose is back in Australia racing V8 Supercars. Kyle Busch is NOT a road course racer; he just wins everywhere he goes it seems.

AJ also tested on the Charlotte Road Course layout back in January.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

It's official: Vegas is getting a second MENCS race in 2018:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/columnist/brant-james/2017/03/08/nascar-will-hold-second-cup-race-at-las-vegas-motor-speedway-2018/98920540/

Horrible idea by NASCAR in my opinion, I just hate intermediate tracks in general. But I would like to see Vegas under the lights.....

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

32 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

What's everyone's thought on turning Indy into a road course race?

While attendance at the Brickyard has been in serious decline, changing the race to the road course would just be another opportunity for Goodyear to screw up the tire compound.

13 hours ago, dfwabel said:

While attendance at the Brickyard has been in serious decline, changing the race to the road course would just be another opportunity for Goodyear to screw up the tire compound.

2008 is what killed the Brickyard 400. And it's never been able to recover; and it's now almost been a decade since that epic debacle.

It was in a slow decline up until 2008 (since about 2001/2002); but the 2008 tire disaster was what broke the proverbial camel's back.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 3/10/2017 at 9:04 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

2008 is what killed the Brickyard 400. And it's never been able to recover; and it's now almost been a decade since that epic debacle.

It was in a slow decline up until 2008 (since about 2001/2002); but the 2008 tire disaster was what broke the proverbial camel's back.

Ugh. I still remember that race, and I was only 10 when it happened. The worst race I've ever seen. Since then I've been waiting for the day Goodyear us replaced, but alas, that doesn't seem likely 9 years later. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

On 3/7/2017 at 3:27 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Chase needs a Road Course in the Chase. I feel like this idea; having the Charlotte Road Course being the October track set-up is a great idea.

I disagree. It's NASCAR, not F1 or whatever they call that other series where they drive Civics, etc. Leave the road courses to the cars that are designed to race on them. 

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I disagree. It's NASCAR, not F1 or whatever they call that other series where they drive Civics, etc. Leave the road courses to the cars that are designed to race on them. 

And I can counter this with "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" they should be racing on road courses. Cause that's more like what the street version drive on.

I disagree. That's what makes NASCAR road races so good. Those cars have no business turning right. 

About 10 years ago my local short track started a division with DirtCar Modifieds. Some of the best racing I've ever seen. It worked because it was an asphalt track. Those Dirt cars were a handful on the asphalt. 600 horsepower with dirt tires on pavement. Then it got ruined because the chassis builders started building asphalt specific chassis but still DirtCar legal. 

iq5b7nF.png

15 hours ago, dont care said:

And I can counter this with "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" they should be racing on road courses. Cause that's more like what the street version drive on.

Seriously? In 2017, you want a NASCAR Ford Fusion to be more like a Ford Fusion you buy at a dealership? Yeah, sign me up for watching a bunch of six cylinder, front-wheel drive midsize family sedans tear around a road course track at 58 mph. 

If ovals suck and you guys love road courses so much, why are you bothering with watching NASCAR? 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Seriously? In 2017, you want a NASCAR Ford Fusion to be more like a Ford Fusion you buy at a dealership? Yeah, sign me up for watching a bunch of six cylinder, front-wheel drive midsize family sedans tear around a road course track at 58 mph. 

If ovals suck and you guys love road courses so much, why are you bothering with watching NASCAR? 

FWIW, I happen to like road course racing, and am a huge proponent of more variety in the style of tracks that the drivers have to race. I also don't like the idea of any one track getting more than one race, unless they use different layouts--as in Daytona's road course for one and the oval for another.

I happen to like NASCAR racing versus, say, the WeatherTech series for a couple of reasons.

1) The fact that there is only one class of car on the track at the same time makes the race easy to follow

Along those lines, the liveries with the large numbers make it easy to identify cars on the track. Also, the cars on the track are much more similar in ability to each other than, say, an LMP and a GT3 in the WeatherTech series.

2) NASCAR's TV product is still better than any other series, despite D. Waltrip's best efforts to "Larry The Cable Guy" the proceedings.

I just happen to want to improve it, and by increasing the variety of tracks, you can increase the pool of talent. You can bring in more international talent, such as Max Papis or Jacques Villeneuve or guys like that. That might get more foreign eyes into the series, which would make up for the declining viewership in the States.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Results from Las Vegas:

1. Truex Jr.

2. Larson

3. Elliott

4. Logano

5. Keselowski

6. Hamlin

7. Blaney

8. McMurray

9. Kenseth

10. Bowyer

Session's 1 & 2 winner: Truex Jr.

I thought Kes had that race until he had power issues. Truex Jr. drove like there was no tomorrow the whole race. I got to admit, the stage racing has gotten better. Logano got loose & hit Kyle Busch. Vegas definitely gave us some fire works today.

Next up, Phoenix

baltimoreravens.png

6 minutes ago, cubsfan2015 said:

That was certainly a crazy finish out there. So happy for Truex!

Also:fight broke out between Joey's crew and Kyle Busch. Kyle got out of the brawl with blood on his forehead. I bet you,this is gonna turn into a nasty rivalry.

I don't follow this stuff closely enough. Kyle claimed that "that's how he races." Is this a common thing with Logano?

Also, if NASCAR were to determine that Logano dumped Busch intentionally (I don't think he necessarily did), could NASCAR put Busch in 3rd, which was where he was when spun?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived