Best Possible Super Bowl LI Matchups

zigbazah

If the Atlanta Falcons progress through the playoffs, I hope they wear their blacks jerseys. If both Atlanta and Dallas win, Atlanta could wear them throughout the playoffs.

I'm hoping for a Pittsburgh and Dallas matchup because it will look good and there is substantial Super Bowl history between the two.

The worst possible, but would never happen, would be Seattle neon green uniforms vs Pittsburgh bumblebee uniforms. Hilarious to think that could exist!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My picks: giants-pats ( while I dislike the pats unis, they always look better when matched with the giants)

Chiefs-Packers ( hate the packers but, it will be worth it to  see this uni matchup)

Cowboys-Steelers ( no explanation needed)

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

The fans deserve at least one Brady vs. Rodgers Super Bowl

Wouldn't be a good uniform matchup (I hate the Pats' white unis with a passion), and as a Jets fan I never want to see Brady or the Pats anywhere close to the Super Bowl again, but I have to admit... that would be a classic quarterback matchup. We'd be missing out if it never happened in the SB.

tempRaidersvsPackers_2011_03_resize--nfl

This is probably my favorite NFL matchup period, let along among the potential Super Bowl matchups. 

I'm a sucker for helmets and pants matching up, plus the cool, dark colour scheme of the Raiders perfectly balances out the bright, colourful Packers.  

Are we all in agreement that the Giants would wear the home blue with gray pants and not white? I believe this neutral site game should still be considered road for them even if designated home.

And part 2. Should the Giants play the Pats again, will they go with the road whites to help with a mental edge.

General comment:  the one thing that this thread proves conclusively is that there are too damn many interconference games.  If it is so easy to find recent examples of every possible matchup, that takes a lot away from the specialness of any matchup that occurs in the Super Bowl.

I occasionally read that the NFL owners want to go to an 18-game schedule.  The league, with four 4-team divisions in each conference, is set up perfectly for an 18-game schedule made up entirely of intra-conference play: 2 games vs. each divisional opponent (6 games) and 1 game vs. each extra-divisional opponent within the conference (12 games).

Of course, the league is also set up perfectly for the ideal playoff system, that is, one without wildcards and with only the four divisional champions in each conference participating.  But, despite the obvious allure from a competitive standpoint of a playoff tournament involving champions exclusively, the league devalues its own competition by unnecessarily including undeserving teams.  Given this state of affairs, I certainly don't expect the league to do the logical thing when it comes to creating a schedule.  

The NFL is making plenty of money by catering to a fanbase that values simple spectacle more than the Super Bowl's storylines, and much more than the integrity of the competition; so it has no reason to consider altering that approach.  Still, how disappointing that, in order to find any given potential Super Bowl matchup, one can look merely at current seasons instead of going back into the misty mists of time, as it should be.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

52 minutes ago, MarsHotel said:

Wouldn't happen, but....

image.jpg

I seriously was just about to post this as my "if only throwbacks were available" pick. This one stands above them all.

As it stands though, there's a few really good ones but either variation of Chiefs-Packers or Raiders-Packers are best possible to me. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived