Best Possible Super Bowl LI Matchups

zigbazah

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2017 at 1:36 PM, sayahh said:

All-Texas Superbowl?  Lowest rated Superbowl, anyone?  (The last one I can think of was 49ers vs. Chargers.)

I believe 49ers-Chargers and Giants-Bills are the only Super Bowls to date between two teams from the same state.

The same-state matchup thing actually triggered an interesting question in my mind: what were closest SB opponents geographically?

Based on a rudimentary look, it looks like:

1. XLI: Bears vs. Colts
  2. XLII and XLVI: Giants vs. Patriots
  3. XXXV: Giants vs. Ravens
  4. III: Jets vs. Colts

Those were all about 170-180 miles apart, which is closer than either of the in-state matchups, and closer than the potential Cowboys-Texans matchup. Interestingly enough, downtown NYC is slightly closer to Baltimore than Boston, but Foxborough is a tiny bit closer to East Rutherford than Baltimore is. 

While Cowboys-Texans wouldn't really be a marquee matchup, there's no way that any SB involving the Cowboys would be a ratings disappointment. They still have a gigantic fanbase stretching across much of the country. They're still kind of the default team for much of the sparsely populated land between Kansas City and Denver, and for parts of the Southwest outside of Arizona (much like the Cardinals are/were in baseball).

Winner of Chiefs/Steelers vs. the Packers would be nicest possible match up left.

Patriots and Falcons still have dated reebok PYPS, Seahawks with their nike-fied look and love for mono, Cowboys and their mismatched colors and Texans are ok but kinda boring.

I definitely don't want to see the Patriots-Seahawks navy overload again. That's probably the worst possible matchup left.

If the Chiefs and Packers match up in the Super Bowl, do the Chiefs wear all white to mimic Super Bowl I or wear red pants because they lost Super Bowl I while wearing all white?

Also, I believe Lamar Hunt preferred the all-white look. That could be a factor.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

On 1/1/2017 at 9:55 PM, crosfam said:

since they won on Thanksgiving, maybe the cowboys shock us all and wear blue in the big game...

9460154.jpg

Only if the Cowboys front office can stop living in the 1970s and wear blue as their primary home color like all NFL teams have for at least half their home games.  Until then don't hold your breath.

Archived