Best Possible Super Bowl LI Matchups

zigbazah

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the NFL pushing 'Color vs. Color' lately, why can't we have one for the Super Bowl? Especially this year! The match up is ideal for a red vs. blue game. Make it happen NFL!

Untitled-1.png

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Ugghhh another Blue team.  Darnit Stillers, why couldn't you win that game!!

Not a good matchup at all for me.  These two teams are in my bottom five for worse uni's.  At least NE will be wearing their white/blue combo, which is much better than their home look.  I kinda like the three colors for the road uni, S/W/B.

I wish there was some kind of explanation from the NFL on why they seem to be fazing out the conference logos. The end zone space argument doesn't really hold up. This was pointed out last year, that the Broncos wordmark was barely larger (if at all) in 2016 without the AFC logo than in 2014. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 2.21.39 PM.png

466653777.jpg

18 minutes ago, ryanheape said:

I wish there was some kind of explanation from the NFL on why they seem to be fazing out the conference logos. The end zone space argument doesn't really hold up. This was pointed out last year, that the Broncos wordmark was barely larger (if at all) in 2016 without the AFC logo than in 2014. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 2.21.39 PM.png

466653777.jpg

The NFL most likely re-prioritized their visual package. Conference affiliation is very low on the totem pole as compared to promoting the event and league. The Super Bowl is already one of the biggest sporting events every year and to the casual audience, they don't really care that Team X is representing the prestigious NFC or AFC.

14 hours ago, hbgoo1975 said:

The Patriots would look so much better if their jersey didn't have the red piping and blue side panels.

BRADY.jpg

I hate to say it, but for this specific uniform, I wouldn't mind splitting the difference by ditching the red piping, but keeping the blue paneling (with appropriate tweaks to the pants). The jersey feels empty without it.

5 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The NFL most likely re-prioritized their visual package. Conference affiliation is very low on the totem pole as compared to promoting the event and league. The Super Bowl is already one of the biggest sporting events every year and to the casual audience, they don't really care that Team X is representing the prestigious NFC or AFC.

We've all kind of figured this to be the case, but I haven't seen an interview or a quote from anyone about this. I know it's not the most important issue re: the league's operations, but seeing as how they hold extravagant showings for new uniforms and brand updates for teams, it seems people (semi-normal ones, not freaks like us) have taken an interest in football aesthetics.

It's a stupid position for the NFL to take, and they'll realize this probably 8 years too late. The visual history of the NFL is charmingly weird and granular—no one knows why they kept conference logos in the endzones to start with, but they were there and it's part of the lore now. I can't make a real argument for it without just saying it looks cool, almost like it's album artwork and the artist made a design decision to include the bar code and record label logo on the front of the sleeve. 

Archived