Return of Old Logos

kimball

6 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Not trying to be a stickler here, but that Cavs logo was from the 80s. They used this logo, from the 90s, before they got their "current" logo(and that itself was introduced when Lebron first came back and had a metallic gold and a darker red, and then they switched to the current wine and gold logo). 

faemq40pf86689pq4z8550l5i.png

I think he was pointing out which old logo he'd like to return, not the previously used logo.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Patriots return to Pat Patriot. I prefer the last incarnation of the uniforms with red facemask, red pants and larger logo. 

andre-tippett.jpg

Been a Pats fans for over 3 decades and I still cannot understand the obsession with Pat Patriot. He was synonymous with failed teams and poor uniforms. Flying Elvis, particularly after he toned it down at the end of the 90's and went navy has been a sharp looking logo, on sharp looking unis, for one of the best sustained success teams (if not the best team) of all time. 

As for what needs to come back, the Clippers logo prior to Ballmer. He's been a great owner so far on court, but man is his design sense a mismash of garbage. The cleaned up previous logo was generic as all heck, but at least it looked professional. The current one looks like Ballmer did it on a Surface using MSPaint.

9 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Been a Pats fans for over 3 decades and I still cannot understand the obsession with Pat Patriot. He was synonymous with failed teams and poor uniforms. Flying Elvis, particularly after he toned it down at the end of the 90's and went navy has been a sharp looking logo, on sharp looking unis, for one of the best sustained success teams (if not the best team) of all time. 

Additionally, the Patriots should never wear red. That's the uniform color of the Continental Army's enemies in the American Revolution, the Redcoats. I think @McCarthy said it best when he compared the Pats wearing red to the Blue Jackets wearing gray jerseys (the Confederate Army's uniform color). People only like Patriot Pat because that's what the team wore when they grew up (on a meta level, it reminds people of when the Patriots were failures and not the "evil empire") or because of retro chic. 

As for logos that should return in some capacity, I wouldn't mind the Rangers bringing this version of their cap logo back.

vm5wgevqpdoccuwtzt3j0ffdn.gif

It'd be a nice tie-in to the 1986-93 caps and would be a nice way to emphasize red on the regular home and road uniforms subtly.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I agree with everything but the bolded part. The Patriots uniforms are a bland, overpiped mess.

4 hours ago, kimball said:

I think he was pointing out which old logo he'd like to return, not the previously used logo.

Okay that make sense. I would like to see the Cavs use the 90s logo more than they do. They use all of the other logos frequently, except this one, and it's popular among fans. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

The one that always instantly comes to mind when thinking of this subject is the 90's Dolphins:

IMG_5594.PNG

The different versions of the classic dolphin are okay, but it's always looked a bit off to me. While it's shape is good, the detail of the dolphin is rather sloppy and renders the face especially a bit incoherent. Then you have the current logo which just flat out isn't good; it looks more like a belly flop than a graceful leap out of the water, removed the football helmet for no reason, its composition looks better suited for an insurance agency logo or something of the like, and did I mention it looks like he's belly flopping? Just awful. Way too kewl for the sake of kewl. 

The 90's one, however? It fixed up the problems the original had, cleaned it up significantly, and provided a stronger look. To me, it's the perfect textbook way to modernize a classic logo. 

To me, the ideal Dolphins set is essentially the classic '72 throwbacks with the only difference being the 90's dolphin (without navy) placed on the helmet instead. If they ever did that, they'd never have to change again.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Additionally, the Patriots should never wear red. That's the uniform color of the Continental Army's enemies in the American Revolution, the Redcoats. I think @McCarthy said it best when he compared the Pats wearing red to the Blue Jackets wearing gray jerseys (the Confederate Army's uniform color). People only like Patriot Pat because that's what the team wore when they grew up (on a meta level, it reminds people of when the Patriots were failures and not the "evil empire") or because of retro chic. 

As for logos that should return in some capacity, I wouldn't mind the Rangers bringing this version of their cap logo back.

vm5wgevqpdoccuwtzt3j0ffdn.gif

It'd be a nice tie-in to the 1986-93 caps and would be a nice way to emphasize red on the regular home and road uniforms subtly.

I mostly like it because it stands out. The white and red was a good unique look. Different from the Cards red and with a white lid making them stand out from the Chiefs.

4 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

As for what needs to come back, the Clippers logo prior to Ballmer. He's been a great owner so far on court, but man is his design sense a mismash of garbage. The cleaned up previous logo was generic as all heck, but at least it looked professional. The current one looks like Ballmer did it on a Surface using MSPaint.

Pat is a vastly better logo, with vastly better uniforms. The Patriots did get to a Superbowl in that logo. The current uniform is a dull dry set.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

People only like Patriot Pat because that's what the team wore when they grew up (on a meta level, it reminds people of when the Patriots were failures and not the "evil empire") or because of retro chic. 

To some extent, that describes me (the part in parentheses).  The Patriots of the Steve Grogan era were likable, probably my favorite team in the AFC East.  The current era, not so much, mainly because of the presence of Brady and Belichick.  That they are a dynasty doesn't help, either.  When I see Pat, I'm reminded of a team I used to like.

13 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

To some extent, that describes me (the part in parentheses).  The Patriots of the Steve Grogan era were likable, probably my favorite team in the AFC East.  The current era, not so much, mainly because of the presence of Brady and Belichick.  That they are a dynasty doesn't help, either.  When I see Pat, I'm reminded of a team I used to like.

So you don't like them or the current uniforms because they don't suck? :huh:

20 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I was dragged kicking and screaming because I liked the Pats overall look.  But I have to agree. Not just because of winning / losing (though I get why an actual fan feels that way) but Pat is just too detailed. Particularly for the helmet.  Elvis works better on a helmet (and overall).  That said, I LOVED those red jerseys.  That's the real tragedy of the Pats' change.

I am with you on the Clips.  That logo was bad but the uniforms were great.  If I'd had may way, they'd have changed the logo but left the colors/uniforms alone.  They did red/white/blue correctly.  

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Pats wore those red jerseys for a long time and I don't think it was a big problem.  I like the jersey enough that I wish it was their full time jersey and I don't think we need to be too caught up on the "Redcoats" thing.  They are the Patriots and they wore Red/White/Blue.  Better than Blue/Red/White/Silver.

Of course a blue version of that jersey would be pretty sharp too.

(but this is "return of old LOGOs, not uniforms and I am not advocating the return of Pat)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

48 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

So you don't like them or the current uniforms because they don't suck? :huh:

Here's the thing, and this may just blow your mind, just because you think the new uniforms are good and the old ones are bad (which I disagree with wholeheartedly) doesn't mean everyone else thinks that too. Your opinion is not fact.

As for the question, the old Helmet Dolphin, in ANY of it's incarnations, would be a vast improvement over the garbage they have on their helmet now.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

1 hour ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Here's the thing, and this may just blow your mind, just because you think the new uniforms are good and the old ones are bad (which I disagree with wholeheartedly) doesn't mean everyone else thinks that too. Your opinion is not fact.

As for the question, the old Helmet Dolphin, in ANY of it's incarnations, would be a vast improvement over the garbage they have on their helmet now.

I was referring to the team. His statement implied he does't like the current era because of Brady and Belichick (who are of course intimately tied to their now almost 2 decades of success), not just the uniform.

Archived