Return of Old Logos

kimball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

So you don't like them or the current uniforms because they don't suck? :huh:

I didn't really want to come out and say this, but no, I don't like them because Belichick is an ass and Brady is...well...just Brady.  (Nothing against the rest of the team or the fans.)  I thought my last sentence explained the psychology behind my preference.  The Pat Patriots uniforms remind me of a team I used to like.  The current uniforms remind me of a team I don't like.   The reasons are secondary.

On 1/3/2017 at 2:58 PM, bosrs1 said:

Been a Pats fans for over 3 decades and I still cannot understand the obsession with Pat Patriot. He was synonymous with failed teams and poor uniforms.

That's why we like him. We don't like the satanic white collar crime version of the Pats symbolized by Elvis. The Patriots look so much more human with Pat the Patriot.

19 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I didn't really want to come out and say this, but no, I don't like them because Belichick is an ass and Brady is...well...just Brady.  (Nothing against the rest of the team or the fans.)  I thought my last sentence explained the psychology behind my preference.  The Pat Patriots uniforms remind me of a team I used to like.  The current uniforms remind me of a team I don't like.   The reasons are secondary.

Wow, I'll give you this, you're the first fellow Pats fan I've ever spoken to live or online who has expressed this POV regarding Brady and Belichick. If nothing else thank you for surprising me in a way I had no idea was even possible.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Wow, I'll give you this, you're the first fellow Pats fan I've ever spoken to live or online who has expressed this POV regarding Brady and Belichick. If nothing else thank you for surprising me in a way I had no idea was even possible.

I've never been a Patriots "fan".  It's just that, at any given time, there are other teams (other than your favorite) that you prefer to see succeed over others.  The Patriots used to be one of those teams.  That list changes for me from one decade or era to the next, based on the people involved, or perhaps based on negative experiences involving my favorite team (a heartbreaking loss in an important game, for example).  It may be players, coaches, or even owners.  For example, they were never "my" team, but I liked the Cowboys of the Tex Schramm / Tom Landry era.  (So, I don't dislike a franchise just because they're successful.)  Today, I root against Dallas because of Jerry Jones.

3 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

I've never been a Patriots "fan".  It's just that, at any given time, there are other teams (other than your favorite) that you prefer to see succeed over others.  The Patriots used to be one of those teams.  That list changes for me from one decade or era to the next, based on the people involved, or perhaps based on negative experiences involving my favorite team (a heartbreaking loss in an important game, for example).  It may be players, coaches, or even owners.  For example, they were never "my" team, but I liked the Cowboys of the Tex Schramm / Tom Landry era.  (So, I don't dislike a franchise just because they're successful.)  Today, I root against Dallas because of Jerry Jones.

I think a lot of people can relate to this...If the Vikings become dominant, I'll love every minute of it.  But if some other team I have affinity for and maybe cheer for when I don't really have a horse in the race changes uniforms, acquires someone I dislike, or even becomes "too good" I may lose that affinity.  

That Pats are an example for me.  Pat the Patriot is not a great logo but that mediocre franchise wearing those beautiful uniforms and that quirky logo that I would not find fault in until coming to this board was easier to like than the modern uniform, always in the hunt, high-profile team of today.  I am fairly Pats-neutral but that little intangible "affinity" I had in the 1980s is gone.  Same holds true for:

• Bucs (creamsicles, baby)
  • Eagles (the kelly green and those beautiful helmets)
  • Bengals (the devastating change from the neck down)
  • Devils (Christmas Devils rule)
  • Orioles (happy bird)
  • Brewers (uniforms; Bud Selig)
  • Penn State (don't get me started)

@the admiral once said of the North Stars (and I'm paraphrasing) "there's something about the North Stars uniforms and logos that just made you want to like them."  I kinda feel that way about the red Pats uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

NHL should return to all team logos from circa 1994.  If your team came about after that (or has since relo'd like Carolina, Dallas, etc) revert to your original logo in your current location.   

$_27.JPG

I agree with this for the most part, I think Ottawa should use the updated post edge alternate based on the original, Pens, Leafs, Bruins, Blues, Panthers, Tampa, Sabres, Kings and Canucks are fine in what they are wearing. New York (both), Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Calgary and Philly are the same, but I wouldn't be against the Caps going with the throwback alts full time.

i feel like i remember that being the case.. sure, it's a modernized & stylized version of the old one, but they're both white, have similar serifs, and are both nicely rounded on top.. the newer one is shorter, bolder, slightly italilicized, and has the michigan state style notch, but there's enough there to connect to the history of Ottawa football

Y'know, on that note, I remember an instance when I was a kid, of my dad & I playing some football game on the Genesis - I think it was Troy Aikman NFL Football - and my dad seeing the Oilers helmet in the game and mistaking it at first for the Patriots helmet (the game was released in '94 and the Pats had changed to ol' Elvis in '93).

Archived