Transitioning from Inkscape to Illustrator

aawagner011

Hey guys, I just got the Adobe suite of software and will primarily be playing around with Illustrator and Photoshop. I used to have one of the older Photoshops about a decade ago so I am confident I will be able to pick that up and learn it fairly easily.

However, Illustrator seems a good bit different from what I've known out of Inkscape the last 6-7 years or so. I'm struggling to figure out how different file types interact from one program to the other. For example, I had some .svg files made in Inkscape that I wanted to try to import into Illustrator and mess with, perhaps fine tune them, etc...but they don't seem to convert well. Any tips for this?

Any general help or tips would be much appreciated. I am excited to try my hand with this new tool but it appears there will be a decent learning curve from what I have known previously with Inkscape.

I didn't really understand the EPS format but I was able to save Inkscape files as PDF and then open then in Illustrator. Thanks for suggesting that! I'm slowly coming around. Lots of little subtle things I have to google as I go along and still things I haven't figured out.

Archived