Teams in the WRONG uniform

kimball

13 hours ago, Cosmic said:

This has to be one of the best examples of "wrong uniform":

- it was a one-off

- it was worn during an actual game, not just warmups (albeit a pre-season game)

- it was made to mimic an iconic jersey of the team they were playing against

Sabres911NY.jpg

I hate to be that guy but New York and Buffalo wore those as a charity to the victims of 9/11, they sold them off after to fund 9/11 victims. 

RangersSpecial1.png
SabresSpecial1.png

zyyMk1d.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clonewars2008 said:

I hate to be that guy but New York and Buffalo wore those as a charity to the victims of 9/11, they sold them off after to fund 9/11 victims. 

RangersSpecial1.png
SabresSpecial1.png

I know exactly why they did it, but it's still the "wrong uniform". It doesn't mean I don't think they should have done it. I think it was very cool, actually, and it reminds me of the zeitgeist in the immediate aftermath. It was very "wrong"; even just fifteen years later, I don't think many people remember it, and I don't think special during-game uniforms ever became a trend.

It's the same as posting a team that played in the wrong stadium due to a disaster... It doesn't mean you disagree with the decision to move the game.

12 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

gold_black_3.jpg

Although I agree with you on that particular combination, the new all white color rush uniforms were prob one of the higher rated uniforms the public liked. With that being said, I would not be surprised if they did use this color jersey color again for a color rush game. I would imagine it would be the same design as the white color rush ones with a gold dark much more bolder look closer to the helmet color. If I wasn't so lazy right now I'd do a photoshop chop to what it would look like.

Speaking of New Orleans DC must of been relocating to New Orleans. They was just testing the colors out I guess. It is interesting that that they did have a Zyephers uniform on too. 

GettyImages-80810364.0.jpg

However, Chicago in green was always weird to me. The first one looks like they were trying to do the whole Christmas thing, but I guess it was a Green Initiative campaign they were doing. That jersey looks like the Bucks.

The second one, I get the whole St. Patties day celebration so I can't knock them for it, but I remember looking at highlights one day and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me because I saw one of the players in green and was like "when did he go to Boston"??? (I think it was Noah.. maybe) Then I was like ohhh I see.

2009-Go-Green-Uniform-philadelphia-040902014-St-Patricks-Day-Sleeved-oklahoma-03

12 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

They won an iconic title in these. Can't be a wrong uniform. 

Definitely a wrong uniform,regardless of winning a title in them. Cleveland should have been wearing wine and gold, not that monstrosity.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Definitely a wrong uniform,regardless of winning a title in them. Cleveland should have been wearing wine and gold, not that monstrosity.

Yes, the Cavs should have been in wine and gold. No argument it was the wrong uniform for them to win a title in, but since it's part of their history it becomes a right set. Unfortunately.

How about the New Jersey Nets' short-lived set from 1981-83? Larry Brown got rid of the ABA-style unis when he took over; after he was fired the team brought them back.

buck-williams-of-the-new-jersey-nets-def

And the home uni, vs another team in the wrong uni - the Knicks' maroon-and-navy "modern" unis that they wore from '79-83:

eddie-phillipsjpg-0b8fdcbb2f22d6b2.jpg

When I opened this thread I was expecting (hoping) for examples of teams wearing uniforms that they didn't intend to wear or were not their actual uniforms.  For example I remember a story about the Vikings planning to wear white at home against the Lions but the Lions didn't get the memo so both teams were in white but the Vikings switched to the purple tops and kept the purple pants.  Thus the purple on purple was never their intent making it a "wrong" uniform.  I also thought I heard once about an away football team that ended up having to wear the home team's practice jerseys for some reason.  I could be misremembering that though.

44 minutes ago, Discogod said:

How about the New Jersey Nets' short-lived set from 1981-83? Larry Brown got rid of the ABA-style unis when he took over; after he was fired the team brought them back.

buck-williams-of-the-new-jersey-nets-def

And the home uni, vs another team in the wrong uni - the Knicks' maroon-and-navy "modern" unis that they wore from '79-83:

eddie-phillipsjpg-0b8fdcbb2f22d6b2.jpg

That doesn't look right to have the number on top and then the city/state/province/team name on the bottom.

UBwef0L.png

2PttXXN.jpg

^This is the furthest the Leafs have ever deviated from their classic look, and it's associated with the nadir of the franchise. There's nothing wrong with it aesthetically speaking, but it just doesn't work as a "Toronto Maple Leafs" uniform.

FvHTSjw.jpg

XnRjAAd.jpg

^These two looks really don't work because they're trying too hard. The Maple Leafs have a very simple identity. Blue and white, maple leaf logo with text, maybe an alternate mark. Standard block font. The first set tried to get cute, with the kabel font from the logos extended to the name plates and the numbers. The second version fixed the number font, but added unnecessary silver outlines. I got what they were going for with the TML logo, but it just ended up being awkward in execution.

qK0KiBG.jpg

^This uniform and all variations associated with it represent the bottoming out of the Toronto Blue Jays as a brand. In many ways I'm happy the team went through that phase though. The World Series era set was classic, but they likely would have tweaked it endlessly until they just destroyed it completely. By going with a rather large scale redesign in 1997 and then jumping the shark entirely in 2004 the team set themselves up to come back to a modified-for-the-better version of their classic World Champions look after wandering in the aesthetic wilderness.

Ou6utzV.jpg

^The Raptors have spent so much time in both purple and red and red and black that both schemes say "Raptors" to me. This though? I was fine with the Drake Night t-shirts (and still want one) but actually sacrificing team colours to pander to the man's brand was too much.

8 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Also this fits the description more literally. The Sabres were too lazy to get new pants and and helmets for their throwback alternates. Always looked weird with the navy pants and helmet with the Buffaslug logo

33571.jpg

The worst part might be the addition of the front numbers. Why? What's the point? Everything else about the jersey is a faithful recreation of the original right down to the duplicate shoulder patches. Then they decide to bring those over from the Buffaslug set. Again, why?

10 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Also this fits the description more literally. The Sabres were too lazy to get new pants and and helmets for their throwback alternates. Always looked weird with the navy pants and helmet with the Buffaslug logo

33571.jpg

May be remembering this wrong, but weren't those rushed to the ice as an olive branch to the fans in the immediate backlash to the Buffalsug? Could explain why their gear didn't match. Or it's just more of the mismanagement that led to the Buffalsug in the first place. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Some 2003-04 Vintage Series shenanigans deserve mention:

Robitaille.jpg

Note the hilariously incorrect black breezers/helmets on the Kings, and the navy breezers on the Blues. I suppose that this may just be a case of inaccurate throwbacks, but details as significant as breezers and helmets alter the overall uniform considerably.

12 hours ago, DjRay1985 said:

2009-Go-Green-Uniform-philadelphia-040902014-St-Patricks-Day-Sleeved-oklahoma-03

I think the funniest thing about those Recycle Green jerseys was they were a one-time jersey PROMOTING recycling -- just a few weeks or so after wearing their St. Patrick's Day jerseys. If they really wanted to walk the talk they should have just worn the St. Patrick's Day jerseys and slapped that NBA recycle logo on there. That's called recycling! LOL!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Some 2003-04 Vintage Series shenanigans deserve mention:

Robitaille.jpg

Note the hilariously incorrect black breezers/helmets on the Kings, and the navy breezers on the Blues. I suppose that this may just be a case of inaccurate throwbacks, but details as significant as breezers and helmets alter the overall uniform considerably.

BUT WAIT! There's more!

Clarke03-04.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived