Whatever happened to that "middle bar"-style facemask?

From NFL tight end Tony Gonzales 2013 interview : 

Image result for tony gonzalez

"Look at my face mask," Gonzalez said as he pointed and laughed. "That actually looked cool. People make fun of my face mask now because it's so big and long. But there, I had a normal face mask. I don't even remember that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Buc said:

Unrelated to the discussion at hand...but can we all just stop for a second and marvel at the vibrant beauty and simplicity of those Dolphins' uniforms--especially in that Florida sunshine? :wub:

I now return y'all to your current discussion on facemasks...

Is this from an Upper Deck card, perhaps? Those colors are gorgeous, but I also think they're a bit overly saturated compared to how they'd normally come out in photographs (or frankly, how they'd look in person). I ask because I always liked Upper Deck cards the best as a kid because the colors always seemed more vibrant. Then, after I learned what saturation was and how to manipulate it in programs like Photoshop, I realized that Upper Deck always appeared to bump the saturation in their images, especially when it came to uniforms.

Either way, Buc is right: both of those uniforms look excellent, and that match up is great with those vivid colors.

On 10/10/2017 at 3:11 PM, Kenmtb said:

Glad to run into this thread!!! I have been cringing at the new wave of conformity that grips the NFL. Yes those STUPID skill position masks. I reckon that peer pressure and the trend to go with less equipment drives men away from proper protection. Now every linebacker and every tight end looks as menacing a QB

This is how a real LB looks!................................................................UM not!

Image result for scott studwell                                                      Image result for packers linebacker

on the vikings player is that BLOOD. if so HOLY CRAP

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

On 11/12/2017 at 11:34 AM, C-Squared said:

To me, as a kid, this was the quintessential pocket passer mask:

1-Jim-Kelly.jpg

Weird, because I always associated it with mobile quarterbacks. Some have that extra bar toward the top, but still have the middle bar and long "cow-catcher" style.

7c4a08ad4cb7137aa48c548e378870b4.jpg

Cheap-Steve-Young-Jersey.jpg

DMO_0VkUMAU5o3s.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

DMOQRDrV4AIafJ7.jpg

Why does Suggs have two bars right where his eyes are?

#SuggLife

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 1 year later...

Mike-McGlinchey-1200.jpg

So sorry to bring this thread back up after a year, but a follow-up to Mike McGlinchey, whom I mentioned in this thread: He was drafted by the 49ers, and is now wearing a different version of the "verrtical bar" facemask.

s-l300.jpg

It looks like this NJOP facemask, but tailor-made to the Speedflex helmet.

UBwef0L.png

6 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Mike-McGlinchey-1200.jpg

So sorry to bring this thread back up after a year, but a follow-up to Mike McGlinchey, whom I mentioned in this thread: He was drafted by the 49ers, and is now wearing a different version of the "verrtical bar" facemask.

s-l300.jpg

It looks like this NJOP facemask, but tailor-made to the Speedflex helmet.

in the Notre Dame photo you posted, he is wearing a Riddell Speed version of basically the Thurman Thomas style facemask.. that model isn't marketed anywhere by Riddell though, so it was probably the type of item that was a proposed style prototype, and somehow ND got their hands on one.. in fact, Riddell doesn't market a single facemask anymore that includes the middle bar in the eye area.. 

in the 49ers photo, you're correct.. that's a Riddell SpeedFlex version of the NJOP (likely custom or extremely "special" order).. unlike Riddell, Schutt does still market a few middle bar style facemasks.. which is nice to see.

on a somewhat unrelated note, also nice to see is some preference for Schutt helmets.. it felt for a while like Riddell was really starting to run away with it -- in terms of on-field presence in the NFL.. i know part of that is the Riddell partnership with the NFL ending, but i also think one of the main factors is Riddell completely ditching the "traditional" helmet style, while Schutt has kept a current traditional model in its lineup consistently.. lot's of the old-school guys really prefer the traditional look, and with the modern technology in the traditional shell, it's a great way to keep a traditional football aesthetic alive.. and given that Schutt's newest helmet, the F7 features a more traditional mask shape than many of its recent modern models, at least part of their newer helmet line will look "right" (the facemask).. maybe we'll start seeing more guys with a traditional shell Schutt helmet and a middle bar facemask.. who knows

On 11/15/2017 at 2:54 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Weird, because I always associated it with mobile quarterbacks. Some have that extra bar toward the top, but still have the middle bar and long "cow-catcher" style.

7c4a08ad4cb7137aa48c548e378870b4.jpg

Cheap-Steve-Young-Jersey.jpg

DMO_0VkUMAU5o3s.jpg

Dave Dickenson also wore this style and also an ugly version with the Riddell Revolution before going to a normal one. 
DaveDickenson_HOF.jpg

Wally-Buono-Dave-Dickenson-BC-Lions-2004

Dickenson_lead_web.jpg
Dave-Dickenson012-fix.jpg

Good old Danny Mcmanus also wore this style and will be forever seen on this stamp
4df0f9b344b09e6d07be3e5376a0_Gallery.jpg

zyyMk1d.png

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

in the Notre Dame photo you posted, he is wearing a Riddell Speed version of basically the Thurman Thomas style facemask.. that model isn't marketed anywhere by Riddell though, so it was probably the type of item that was a proposed style prototype, and somehow ND got their hands on one.. in fact, Riddell doesn't market a single facemask anymore that includes the middle bar in the eye area.. 

in the 49ers photo, you're correct.. that's a Riddell SpeedFlex version of the NJOP (likely custom or extremely "special" order).. unlike Riddell, Schutt does still market a few middle bar style facemasks.. which is nice to see.

on a somewhat unrelated note, also nice to see is some preference for Schutt helmets.. it felt for a while like Riddell was really starting to run away with it -- in terms of on-field presence in the NFL.. i know part of that is the Riddell partnership with the NFL ending, but i also think one of the main factors is Riddell completely ditching the "traditional" helmet style, while Schutt has kept a current traditional model in its lineup consistently.. lot's of the old-school guys really prefer the traditional look, and with the modern technology in the traditional shell, it's a great way to keep a traditional football aesthetic alive.. and given that Schutt's newest helmet, the F7 features a more traditional mask shape than many of its recent modern models, at least part of their newer helmet line will look "right" (the facemask).. maybe we'll start seeing more guys with a traditional shell Schutt helmet and a middle bar facemask.. who knows

NEW-YORK-JETS-NFL-Schutt-NJOP-SW-Footbal

I think McGlinchey's Notre Dame facemask looks more like this NJOP-SW model to me, considering how far the first and second bars are spaced apart.

UBwef0L.png

18 hours ago, johnnysama said:

NEW-YORK-JETS-NFL-Schutt-NJOP-SW-Footbal

I think McGlinchey's Notre Dame facemask looks more like this NJOP-SW model to me, considering how far the first and second bars are spaced apart.

The ND version had the smallest gap between the two bars that cross around the nose/upper lip area.. in the one you posted, the smallest gap is between the lip bar and bottom bar..

Honestly it's probably a hybrid of a couple different styles

On 1/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, clonewars2008 said:

Dave Dickenson also wore this style and also an ugly version with the Riddell Revolution before going to a normal one. 
DaveDickenson_HOF.jpg

Wally-Buono-Dave-Dickenson-BC-Lions-2004

Dickenson_lead_web.jpg
Dave-Dickenson012-fix.jpg

Good old Danny Mcmanus also wore this style and will be forever seen on this stamp
4df0f9b344b09e6d07be3e5376a0_Gallery.jpg

That custom facemask by Dickenson for the Revolution was more akin to the JOP double-wire facemask worn by McManus in the stamp pictured.

UBwef0L.png

Archived