Whatever happened to that "middle bar"-style facemask?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, johnnysama said:

^

2016-05-28_22-15-51.jpg -and- 2016-06-06_15-27-31.jpg

A similar facemask was worn by Dan Dierdorf; however, his facemask was used on both sides of the helmet.

That's crazy! What's the story behind that I wonder? That took a lot of work to create and there had to be a method to the madness... 

11 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

The 2019 rule change phasing out some older helmet models has changed a few “classic” looks

Tom-Brady.jpg

gettyimages-1029876256-copy.jpg

Drew_Brees-e1521030564635-620x266.jpg

image.jpg

AP_18231051319169.jpg

EZ7L2NATAII6TK3ZGDGU66JG6I.jpg

Interesting to see that the obsolete VSR4s are all being replaced by Speedflex helmets.

UBwef0L.png

11 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

The 2019 rule change phasing out some older helmet models has changed a few “classic” looks

Yes but most of those guys that had them before are grandfathered in to keep their old helmet if they wanted. Brady went back to his old helmet after a few weeks and Antonio Brown continued to wear his old Schutt helmet.

dc3a81.jpg

vgmxqf.jpg

32 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

Interesting to see that the obsolete VSR4s are all being replaced by Speedflex helmets.

I'm willing to bet those are the custom fit speedflex models so it's probably an easier sell to get the old dogs to abandon their 30 year old helmet technology.

3 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

They should make a modern version on the vsr4 with better technology. I think the NFL needs to preserve that classic helmet shape. The vsr4 is my all time favorite and its sad to see it go.

I agree. Although Schutt has tried hard to preserve that classic shape in some of their helmet models.

UBwef0L.png

16 hours ago, johnnysama said:

I agree. Although Schutt has tried hard to preserve that classic shape in some of their helmet models.

Yeah. Take Riddell and Schutt's safest helmets according to the 2018 NFL Helmet Test. Schutt Air XP Pro VTD 11 in Green, Riddell Speedflex Precision in Orange. Schutt's looks way more traditional, while Riddell's has so many Vents and Raised Sections.

air-xp-pro-vtd2-side.pngadult-speed-flex-helmet-3qtr_3.png

da0Lbhs.png

On 1/9/2019 at 1:02 AM, Skull Position said:

Then there was this Hall of Fame classic....

Related image

Holy heck, l could have used this face mask my senior year!! The summer between my junior and senior year of high school l wrecked my KD185 and low-sided into a tree. I layed open my chin to the bone and broke my jaw. After 72 stitches and wiring my jaw shut, this set up would have been ideal. I ran my normal mask, four horizontal bars and the middle bar with a modified chin strap and only had some bleeding every game my senior year.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:08 PM, DouglasQuaid said:

They should make a modern version on the vsr4 with better technology. I think the NFL needs to preserve that classic helmet shape. The vsr4 is my all time favorite and its sad to see it go.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, johnnysama said:

On 1/16/2019 at 2:48 AM, Old School Fool said:

I really want these helmet manufacturers to stop making helmets with stupid designs. I really hate the vents even though I'm sure there has to be a specific reason for it right? If not then it shouldn't even be a thing.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:49 PM, simtek34 said:

Yeah. Take Riddell and Schutt's safest helmets according to the 2018 NFL Helmet Test. Schutt Air XP Pro VTD 11 in Green, Riddell Speedflex Precision in Orange. Schutt's looks way more traditional, while Riddell's has so many Vents and Raised Sections.

air-xp-pro-vtd2-side.pngadult-speed-flex-helmet-3qtr_3.png

My favorite new design is the Vicis one. It’s got a classic round shape, large smooth sides that are a great canvas for design, a simple raised center portion that’s perfectly formed to hold stripes, and vents that are all specifically placed to avoid interfering with the stripe and logo decals. It also tests better than the others.

DarF83TUMAUOzvB.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I don't mind the VICIS one but it looks too big on some players and the facemask options look weird.

I personally think the Schutt Air XP Pro is the best one by far. It maintains the traditional helmet look while keeping it modern and safe.

They definitely look big, but I’m getting used to it, and if that’s what it takes to change the way corporations think about and address impact protection, then that’s how it needs to be (though personally, I’d love to see the NFL more focused on the spectacular athleticism rather than the bone-jarring hits, becoming more of a 7-on-7 style of play but with 11 players and rugby headgear).

Vicis’ side attachment bars do have an odd look to them, but again, it’s no different than when the Revolution and Speed(flex) first started showing up. Weird at first, but now the VSR4s look old to me :-). Other than the top two models, though, Vicis’ facemasks have always come across very simple and attractive to me, like modern versions of the classic styles.

Vicis Facemasks

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

My favorite new design is the Vicis one. It’s got a classic round shape, large smooth sides that are a great canvas for design, a simple raised center portion that’s perfectly formed to hold stripes, and vents that are all specifically placed to avoid interfering with the stripe and logo decals. It also tests better than the others.

DarF83TUMAUOzvB.jpg

Looks like a motorcycle helmet.

Archived