NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues seem to do fine with letting white and yellow touch.

Even if, Maroon instead of black could be used to accomplish the same end result. Adding black doesn't solve every color scheme issue.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

6 minutes ago, worcat said:

Blues seem to do fine with letting white and yellow touch.

That's because the Royal Blue is significantly darker than the bright shade of red the Flames use.  They also have Navy for added contrast as it takes the same role as the Flame's black.

Even if, Maroon instead of black could be used to accomplish the same end result. Adding black doesn't solve every color scheme issue.

No but it works really well for the Flames.  When you think of fire, you think of red, yellow, white and black.  Their current scheme is perfect, they just need to minimize black and make gold more prominent.

I've never thought of black when I think of fire, unless you are talking about ashes. (Opening pandoras box)

If that's the mindset, you may as well add blue and grey also. But I guess maroon doesn't apply? I guess red is the only shade of red I can see in a fire.

The Flames work fine with Red/Yellow/White. 

Royal Blue = Bright shade of Red. Royal Red? Either way, still bright.

The Flames could go full on vintage and still look amazing, or darken their red to maroon and have a beautiful jersey. 

there's only about 5 teams that should be allowed to use black and unfortunately more teams use black that hinder it from having a special uniform code. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

4 minutes ago, Mr. Krabs said:

Any predictions for what Minnesota will do? I hear different things about combining elements their Stadium Series jersey to their current greens and making it their new home.

I'm curious to hear what they decide.

I love their current alternate, would love to see that full time.  That's just me though.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

I never liked the criticism that the Flames color scheme was too bright. If it was red and orange or orange and yellow I'd agree but red and yellow work fine. Plus, fire is bright and a bright color scheme is good for a team named after fire.

1 hour ago, Mr. Krabs said:

Any predictions for what Minnesota will do? I hear different things about combining elements their Stadium Series jersey to their current greens and making it their new home.

This is their chance to make adjustments for consistency.

6 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Flames should adopt the color scheme of the Redskins uniforms. Deep red with a vibrant yellow.

No black needed. I made a concept like that years ago and I really thought it looked fantastic. I'll try to dig it up next time I'm on a PC.

cgy-home.png

The Flames could go full on vintage and still look amazing, or darken their red to maroon and have a beautiful jersey.

Given how popular the "Sea of Red" is, I don't think fans of the team (including this one) would go for switching red with maroon.  The team has used the same shade of red for their entire existence, why change now?  The only real justification for bringing back the original look is the championship in 1989 (the home and roads don't even really match).  If they made those uniforms maroon it would sever the ties with not only the championship but the entire history of the team.  Besides, fire should be represented by something bright, vibrant and warm.  Not something as dark and subdued as maroon.

There's only about 5 teams that should be allowed to use black and unfortunately more teams use black that hinder it from having a special uniform code. 

Who cares how many teams use black?  Especially as a trim.

It still amuses me when I find uniform talk in mainstream media (or at least outside the usual suspects within those outlets), but for some reason this outrage about no NHL alts from a Chicago sports radio guy really tickled me.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/01/11/bernstein-nhl-stumbles-again-with-jerseys/

I'm pretty sure 10 years ago Bernstein wouldn't even talk hockey on his show, and he usually saves his outrage for big topics like Penn State. I don't hear him much on my drives anymore so maybe he's softened.

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

If third jerseys are going away, I'd be all for a return to whites at home for the season. 

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with white at home, but darks are better.

A lot of fans like to wear what the on-ice team does. Most fans don't care about uniform aesthetics, as much as we do. However, even in the white at home era, a lot of fans wore the darks to home games. They're easier to care for, and provide a stronger, clearer at-a-glance identification, as a fan of a specific team. Wearing darks, at home, on the ice, encourages the majority to create a sea of green, red, orange, yellow, etc. that management wants for their in-house atmosphere.

I'm an AHL season ticket holder, and this season they wore whites, at home, before the holiday break. As someone who enjoys jersey aesthetics, it was kind of nice to see the visiting dark jerseys. Most of the other fans didn't care, and I still saw about 2/3 of the fans in their dark jerseys. During the first game that they switched, I actually heard several fans commenting about how the team looked better, in the darks, and wondering why they didn't start the season in them. I also am noticing fans I recognize as being white jersey wearers now coming in dark ones. 

People talk about a "return to whites at home," like darks at home are some kind of unnatural abomination. They aren't. Darks were worn at home from the league's inception until 1970. That's 52 seasons, compared to the 36 white was worn, at home. If anything, wearing darks, at home, is a return to tradition, for the NHL, not a departure.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

What's it hurt though? It's only for one season then it would be right back to what it is now. The whole reason they switched back to darks at home wasn't because of some "return to tradition"  it was because of third jerseys.  Who wears what to the games at the stadiums is irrelevant to the equation. 

Just my personal preference. I'm 40, the NHL of my formative years let's say 1986-95 or so was white at home.  It makes sense to me. YMMV

I'm just going to assume. most people here grew up watching NHL when it was White at Home so that's what they prefer and so do I. It's the jersey setting I always set when playing the NHL games. I would like to see that come back for 1 year. 

XM4KeeA.png

11 minutes ago, insert name said:

I'm just going to assume. most people here grew up watching NHL when it was White at Home so that's what they prefer and so do I.

I think you're underestimating how many high-school and college age members are on here. Also, I grew up when it was white, at home. I still prefer darks, on home teams. I'm not the only one in that boat, either. 

6 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

What if the teams could choose what they wanted to wear at home?

Anyone who has ever done any level of equipment management proba ly just cringed at the idea of how much extra gear that means lugging on road trips.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived