NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Chico said:

To me this would be the perfect set of Devils jerseys. Keep the current home jersey but add a white outline to the yoke, go back to red helmets, and add the old striping pattern to the black pants. For the road simply use the original home jersey but recolored with black replacing green. Then keep the current 1980's retro set as an alternate. In my opinion this would be the best combination of all era's. 

Devils19.jpg

New_Jersey_Devils.png

This could work if the collars, numbers and yokes matched.  Would still feel like a slight downgrade from the current set though.  I honestly still can't believe the Devils are doing this.  There aren't many looks that could be called "untouchable" but the Devils cup-winning set absolutely deserves that distinction.

I don't really care which way the Devils go with their look as I like both the current and vintage looks. But I would like to see red used more in the white jersey. Filipping the red and black accents on the current away jersey would be ideal. I've always thought their whites look kinda drab with black as the main secondary colour. 

I think my first choice would be red/forest green transplanted onto the current striping with a yoke outline. With red home helmets and plain forest green pants with either no striping or a thin line. I hate the pants from the old set as the green is too light and the stripes look stupid.

What upsets me about this news is that the Devils were a true anomaly in word of hockey aesthetics.  Since correcting the striping problems of their first set, and switching out green, they've kept their identity completely intact.  My respect for them went way up when they refused to adopt Reebok's wacky vision for uniforms and even declined to have an unveiling.  They stood their ground and retained their timeless uniforms when so many other teams refused.

From Bill Foley...lots of interesting things said here:

"Well we’ve got our jersey designed. It’s now going into production. We’re probably going to not release our jersey until the day of the expansion draft. The NHL is having an event in New York where they’re showing all the new jerseys. We believe we’re going to defer from that and we will release our jersey the day of he expansion draft on national television. It’s the black, gold and gray colors with some red accents. The red accent represents the red rocks and the gold represents the gold producing state. We have the storm gray that we’ve released on some of our t-shirts and sweatshirts and so that represents ‘strength’ and ‘sticking to the program.’ The black really represents ‘dedication and fortitude.’ We have a whole talking point on our jersey and what each color represents and what it means and what the logo means."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golden-knights-owner-on-nationally-televised-expansion-draft-private-protection-lists-raiders-vegas-move-qa-233106106.html

9 minutes ago, JGraz15 said:

We have the storm gray that we’ve released on some of our t-shirts and sweatshirts and so that represents ‘strength’ and ‘sticking to the program.’ The black really represents ‘dedication and fortitude.’

lol what

ClAFLDa.png

3 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

the gold represents the gold producing state.

nevadasign.jpg

On 5/8/2012 at 11:29 AM, Cody21 said:

I know NOLA is the French state, but why do you have to mix bee with a fleur-de-lis? that's just wrong. its an awful way to represent your town. you have the saints.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Already known the Oilers were wearing orange next season but Bob Nicholson (Oilers CEO) said last night there will be a design change to both the home and away:

“Next year, we are mandated by the NHL to go to two uniforms without a third jersey. We will have two new uniforms, one orange and one white.

There will be a bit of a changed design to them.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/terry-jones-oilers-getting-futuristic-orange-as-crowd-gets-2006-loud-for-nhl-playoffs

25 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

So will the Raiders' moving to Vegas speed up the Knights' inevitable demise, or will it stay on schedule?

Aren't we waiting on the inevitable demise of two or three other NHL franchises as well?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, CreamSoda said:

NHL is having an event to show the new jerseys?  Sounds like every team is getting some sort of tweak, at least.

It's one thing when it's Reebok to Nike...and it's the NFL, where ESPN will cover damn near anything...

But an event from Reebok to parent adidas?  Kinda odd.  

11 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

So will the Raiders' moving to Vegas speed up the Knights' inevitable demise, or will it stay on schedule?

I'd say it moves up the time table. 

There's always been a big question mark surrounding Las Vegas and its ability to support professional sports given the nature of the city's economy and demographics (ie tourists and transplants). At the time Foley was awarded a franchise I suspect the calculus was that the NHL would have the market to itself and could build up a viable fanbase without major competition. As we've seen (and as I've written previously), Foley has effectively squandered whatever advantages his organization may have had as Las Vegas's first pro team. It seems pretty clear that Foley sees the team as his personal play thing and the people of (Las) Vegas should be grateful he's decided to park it in their city. 

The Raiders moving to Las Vegas effectively sucks the oxygen out of the market. Even though the team is up to two years out from playing in the city it's already dominating the Las Vegas sports narrative. I don't live in the market, but the G*Knights already seemed like a side note. The Raiders moving to Las Vegas takes them completely off the front page...and that's just on the press side of things. One of the big questions surrounding Las Vegas is whether there's enough corporate money floating around to make any team that plays there viable. Now imagine having to share that (potentially) modest pie with an NFL team. To put it another way. If I'm a corporation like Zappos (which proudly calls Las Vegas home), would I rather spend my advertising budget to get my name/logo into an NFL stadium, or an NHL arena? In most instances, if they can afford it, I'm guessing the vast majority of Las Vegas corporations are going to be spending their money with the Raiders.

When the franchise was first awarded I would have given Las Vegas 50/50 odds of surviving 25 years in the market. Watching Foley's disastrous role out of the team's branding made me lower my expectations to 1/4 odds of surviving that long. Now...I wouldn't be surprised to see the team only last 10 years. It all comes down to how long Foley continues to be healthy and financially solvent, and whether or not the team can be successful on the ice. Given Foley's age, and the track record of expansion teams...thats a very fine needle to thread.  

15 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

’ We have a whole talking point on our jersey and what each color represents and what it means and what the logo means."

Wow! How original,  thanks for the update, Bill!

33 minutes ago, MEANS said:

Why? 

It's a change but not a change.  Unless they really changed the template, there's really no need have an event to "unveil" home and aways, as what, 26 teams will remain the same?

I think Thaumatrope nailed it - the Knights will be in a market so unproven and risky that pro sports have stayed away from it for decades for that very reason, their owner's an egotist who'd rather make the team about himself than the city he's in - and he's also an idiot who can't seem to do anything right - and now on top of all that, they'll also have the NFL to compete with. It's just too many obstacles for a team like this to clear, I think, and I wonder if they'll even last 5 years there, or if they'll be the Kansas City Scouts of the 21st century.

Archived