NHL 2017-18

Bmac

On 10/11/2017 at 11:35 PM, lbj273 said:

I must have missed the whole not being able to be just the Knights because of the London Knights, anyone have a good link stating why they needed permission?

Due to the fact that they are one of, if not the signature franchise of the CHL, the London Knights carry a lot of clout in hockey.  

They are protecting their copyright. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/las-vegas-nhl-name-search-complicated-london-knights/

When people in hockey say "Knights", they assume you are talking about London.  They want to keep it that way.

banners

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logo is a footprint in the snow, not a direct representation of a foot.  It's primarily silver for the same reason they added silver highlights to the avalanche in their main logo.  The metallic material sparkles like snow crystals and the burgundy outline is just there to define the shape & tie it in with the rest of the brand.  It's a clever way of representing the topography of the region not an attempt to be intimidating.  If they wanted to do that, I'm sure they would have rendered a full cartoon of bigfoot.

On 10/12/2017 at 3:24 PM, jerseyjunk said:

Ryan-OByrne-Forsberg-Night-Gamer-Right-S

LwGkqyv.jpg

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The idea behind it is forced. Bigfoot is a Pacific Northwest legend through and through.

I don't think the concept is that forced.  The legend might have originated in the Pacific Northwest but it has long since spread to the rest of North America.  You can easily find records of sightings and footprints in the Colorado region so in that context, it works.

59 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The logo is a footprint in the snow, not a direct representation of a foot.  It's primarily silver for the same reason they added silver highlights to the avalanche in their main logo.  The metallic material sparkles like snow crystals and the burgundy outline is just there to define the shape & tie it in with the rest of the brand.  It's a clever way of representing the topography of the region not an attempt to be intimidating.  If they wanted to do that, I'm sure they would have rendered a full cartoon of bigfoot.

LwGkqyv.jpg

I don't think the concept is that forced.  The legend might have originated in the Pacific Northwest but it has long since spread to the rest of North America.  You can easily find records of sightings and footprints in the Colorado region so in that context, it works.

The burgundy is not just there to define the shape. It’s clearly fur, and probably disproves your “footprint in the snow” theory.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Bigfoot/Sasquatch is Pacific Northwest.  The Avs' mascot/foot was technically that of a Yeti (different beast)...which comes from the tall peaks of Asia (and the Rockies :P)

Maybe there's a Colorado knockoff of Sasquatch. We have one in Arkansas called the Fouke Montster.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

The burgundy is not just there to define the shape. It’s clearly fur, and probably disproves your “footprint in the snow” theory.

It's called artistic license.  If they didn't show fur, or the imprint of fur, in some capacity it would just look like a regular footprint.

The "Foot" logo is a way better secondary logo than the boring old Colorado "C" ever will be. The former tied into the brand well with it having tying aspects to the main logo (like the oval) and was pretty original and the only of it's kind. The "C" on the other hand is at odds with the main logo and jersey design they're going for now. Again it's geometric and clean cut while the main logo's a bit more jagged and extreme. There's also so many teams in sports that already have a "C" as their logo and there are several teams in hcokey already that use it as a primary or secondary logo. 

On a more simple note, think about it like this. Would you rather walk down the street in a shirt with a round Coloradan C on it or an xtreme foot logo? Nuff said 

2 minutes ago, Tanny81 said:

The "Foot" logo is a way better secondary logo than the boring old Colorado "C" ever will be. The former tied into the brand well with it having tying aspects to the main logo (like the oval) and was pretty original and the only of it's kind. The "C" on the other hand is at odds with the main logo and jersey design they're going for now. Again it's geometric and clean cut while the main logo's a bit more jagged and extreme. There's also so many teams in sports that already have a "C" as their logo and there are several teams in hcokey already that use it as a primary or secondary logo. 

On a more simple note, think about it like this. Would you rather walk down the street in a shirt with a round Coloradan C on it or an xtreme foot logo? Nuff said 

The C. Without question. Most adults refrain from wearing “xtreme” apparel.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just now, andrewharrington said:

The C. Without question. Most adults refrain from wearing “xtreme” apparel.

Umm no offense to the adults out there but you gotta rethink what you choose to wear on your chest. 8.5/10 would buy a washed out "Foot" logo shirt.

13 minutes ago, Tanny81 said:

Umm no offense to the adults out there but you gotta rethink what you choose to wear on your chest. 8.5/10 would buy a washed out "Foot" logo shirt.

100% disagree, and I think real life backs me up.

4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

100% disagree, and I think real life backs me up.

I don't know about that...the foot is pretty popular in Colorado.  The C is worn way more in the traditional red, yellow, and blue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

LwGkqyv.jpg

It's not a footprint in the snow.  If it was just a foot print, they wouldn't add the crevices in the heel/arch area plus the detail in the toes.  It's clearly the bottom of the foot of a hairy beast.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I don't know about that...the foot is pretty popular in Colorado.  The C is worn way more in the traditional red, yellow, and blue.

That’s part of my point. It’s an icon that transcends the team and thus has an even broader appeal, whether it’s the familiar state flag icon or the team-appropriated version.

On 13/10/2017 at 5:24 AM, jerseyjunk said:

Does not matter, the Avs already got a great logo, and had one of the best secondary logos every created: 

Ryan-OByrne-Forsberg-Night-Gamer-Right-S

Big hairy foot, just brilliant.......

S'ninties

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Considering I hope to land in CO Springs, eventually, and the Avs have a chance of becoming my secondary team, I will certainly buy Yeti Foot apparel over ColoCubs, hands down.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Foot logo = creative

C logo = plain and really is just a copy. 

The c logo does have appeal as it transcends the hockey team itself.  Maybe that can be more of a tertiary logo.  On the jersey I prefer the foot with maybe the C logo can be on the shorts. Or maybe the foot could be saved for the alternative.  

I like the C a lot better than I like the foot, just because it ties together the whole state behind the team.

From a design perspective, the foot is better, but the C has better meaning behind it. Besides, Howler isn't the team's mascot anymore. Once he left, the logo should've gone with him.

The foot logo doesn’t make any sense. Neither the Big Foot or Yeti legends have any connection to the state of Colorado.

Whereas Coloradans seem to embrace their state flag. Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Aesthetically? The entire Avs’ original identity package contained all the worst hallmarks of excessive 90s “xtreme” design, but the foot was the worst part of it. 

The A logo and the mountain stripes seem less loud and obnoxiously dated without the XTREME YETI FOOT taking up real estate. 

The C logo’s simple. It works on a shoulder. And it compliments the primary. The team’s name is the Colorado Avalanche. The primary is an A simulating an avalanche running down a mountain. The secondary is the C from the Colorado state flag. The two logos in tandem tell you all you need to know about the team. 

18 hours ago, Tanny81 said:

This makes no sense. 

Believe me from experience when I tell you that a teenager is the last person you should consult about building a solid brand meant to last. 

I think there are two sensible options with the Avs and the Colorado C:

1) the fantastic concept from this board that had the C being formed by a surge of snow, which longtime board members should remember but I cannot find it on GIS (EDIT: here it is!images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYkmf12o53wRyCcy3t_Ki)

2) just a straight-up Colorado state flag on one shoulder with no regard for how it matches the rest of the sweater.

What the Avs chose to do doesn't really work for me.

23 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I wonder how a stylized snowflake would look as a shoulder patch. 

LIKE A SAFE SPACE, TRIGGERED, LIBS?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/4/2017 at 11:09 AM, Ice_Cap said:

The President's Trophy isn't worth anything. Ask the Sharks and Capitals what a President's Trophy banner means. 

And that Prince of Wales trophy isn't much better, considering the thrashing they got in the Cup Finals that followed.  

HZJk9jT.gif

It's not just worthless :censored:e, it's feckin' worthless :censored:e that gets power-blasted into your face. Let's see if the swear filter can block Irish epithets!

It's an old post, but it's one that was sitting in my editor for a while. 

20 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Maybe there's a Colorado knockoff of Sasquatch. We have one in Arkansas called the Fouke Montster.

I couldn't find one. I did find this creature:

sliderock-660x400.jpg

Meet the Slide Rock Bolter. Maybe naming the team after this cryptid would have been a better option! ;)

Archived